↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > JLR confirm Defenders not being built
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
XplusYplusZ

JLR confirm Defenders not being built
I've been growing more nervous about the lack of comms and no build slot, 6 months after ordering (Nov 21). The dealership have been useless, I know they can't influence much on the vehicle build itself, but their communications are terrible, lots of broken promises, 7 different sales reps and 0 interest in maintaining a healthy relationship.

So I emailed the JLR Head of Customer Satisfaction. His email can be found publicly. Although not the most obvious format...

To their credit, the executive office reacted quickly on my complaint, contacting the head of the dealership and the factory to get an understanding of my order status. Unfortunately, the news is not good.

According to JLR's Exec Office:
1. Defenders are not being built at the moment, and they could not confirm when they will restart.
2. My order from Nov 2021, will subsequently fall into the MY23.5. (As we saw for the MY22-MY23 change, this could well lead to price increase and changes in option availability).
3. Apparently JLR do not govern the retail pricing, and refused to commit to confirming price impacts as a result of their delays pushing me into MY23.5.

I was pretty Censored off to hear this news - and only after escalating. I don't see why I should be financially impacted by JLR's inability to deliver on their published timeframes. But I guess I will have to wait until tomorrow to understand how much more these delays will actually cost me.

I'm fairly sure the dealers must know the factory is closed. If this is true, then they have decided not to keep their customers informed, and instead, they've kept hold of my deposit and kept quiet.

From the head of the Major London Dealership, he confirmed they have 400 new range rovers/sports on the books, and 50 defenders (13 of the defenders have build dates - I wonder how that works if the factory is closed).

For those who are still waiting.. be aware, MY23.5 is coming very soon (tmrw?), and if the past experience is anything to go by, you can expect price increases and loss of options..
Post #954193 31st May 2022 3:16pm
Tim in Scotland

I’ve just rebuilt my order that was quoted as June- November 2023 build on the newest configurator and the price has gone up more than £2500 but I wasn’t able to add to the build the Classic mud flaps and the front bash plate. I also tried building a 110 HSE and it looks like the 110’s now have standard coil springs and air suspension is only available with the Off-road Pack…………as a pensioner not yet on the state pension looks like I will be cancelling my 90 and making do with the D240 First Edition that has kit on it you cannot even order now……. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #954196 31st May 2022 3:34pm
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
I have a build slot for mid June with delivery mid July, so I'm unsure where this leaves me if they are no longer building cars. I will email my dealer!
Post #954198 31st May 2022 4:20pm
BigCol66

United Kingdom 
Perhaps they are on a week of shutdown. Land Rover Solihull are on shutdown this week.
Post #954201 31st May 2022 4:57pm
J77

Scotland 
July building resumes I believe, orders for 23.5MY starts in June. 23.5MY 90 D250 X-Dynamic SE, Pangea Green
Gone - 23MY 110 D250 XS Edition, Hakuba Silver
Gone - 21MY 90 D200 S, Tasman Blue, Fuji White roof.
Post #954205 31st May 2022 5:04pm
Allegedly

United States 
Just Google "Land Rover Nitra" and call the plant directly from that listing. That's the only truly reliable way to know if the line is running. I called a few times while mine was scheduled to be built. There were several published stories and a lot of rumors about it being shut down at that time but the ladies there always had the real info.
Post #954248 31st May 2022 10:34pm
XplusYplusZ

Thanks Allegedly, that's really useful - were they able to tell you about your specific vehicle?
Post #954260 1st Jun 2022 6:26am
Allegedly

United States 
Not the specific vehicle although mine was scheduled when both the news and dealers were saying the line was shut down for covid and the lady said, "no, we don't have full staff and we aren't starting a lot of new builds right now but, if yours was scheduled for this should get built" and it did.

A couple of the ladies were more helpful than others. Good luck. It's worth the wait!
Post #954320 1st Jun 2022 1:34pm
Notyalc

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
The factories are not closed as such.
They only build when they have parts to be able to build, not quite the same as being closed…

Obviously there are shortages across the board, the PCB issues caused by component shortages in Asia is affecting just about everything, not just cars. The Ukraine crisis is affecting most European car makers, its surprising how many components come from there; wiring harnesses being the main one.
Post #954347 1st Jun 2022 7:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1