Print this entire topic · 
jedIKnight

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 110 2.5 TD DCPU Bonatti Grey
Thumbs Up
Post #953878 28th May 2022 11:05am
jedIKnight

jedIKnight wrote:
Yup an IVA i believe as have added 30kg to the frame but then again it’s rated for nearly 1150kg of cargo and the pod only weights 200kg 🤷🏻‍♂️
I’ll do some more research on that once it’s done. I do know that changing the electric lead to 13 pin means that the new 13 pin on the defender now is included in MOT but the 7 pin wasn’t.

I’m fact I forgot that I’d taken the stainless steel tub off so that weighed about 80kg so happy days
Post #953898 28th May 2022 3:48pm
Bigjon

United Kingdom 
Hi JediKnight

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I’m looking to buy a penman and extended the chassis and was wondering about the IVA? So if I remove the tub and only add on a similar or less weight than the tub (80kg) then no IVA is needed?
Post #961368 11th Aug 2022 7:26pm
jedIKnight

I spoke to a few trailer fabricators and their understanding is that because it was produced before 29th April 2009 it isn’t required to have an IVA as long as the weight, lights, brakes, reflectors and registration requirements are met.

Additionally IVA has a few exceptions one of which being “ Vehicles designed and constructed for use by the armed services, civil defence, fire services and forces responsible for maintaining public order.”

Last edited by jedIKnight on 11th Aug 2022 11:07pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #961384 11th Aug 2022 10:57pm
jedIKnight

Solar Operational

Click image to enlarge
Post #961385 11th Aug 2022 11:01pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
jedIKnight wrote:
...Additionally IVA has a few exceptions one of which being “ Vehicles designed and constructed for use by the armed services, civil defence, fire services and forces responsible for maintaining public order.”

Be careful with exemptions such as this. Most Crown Exemptions only apply to vehicles in use for Crown purposes, and cease to apply once the vehicle has been cast. This has been a problem for quite a number of MV enthusiasts who have found that their new purchase is no longer road-legal.

It is unlikely to be a factor with a Penman for the other reasons stated, but it's worth checking before splashing out on an over-width 432 or Unipower TBT, or similar.
Post #961386 11th Aug 2022 11:44pm
jedIKnight

Cheers Blackwolf. Always get good info on these forums that sometimes save others pain and money.
The moving/rocker brake caliper issue is s prime example.
Post #961403 12th Aug 2022 8:54am
LandymanStefan

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Well I’ve finally joined the penman team, collected her today. Came with the original wheels so I swapped them back immediately. But to be fair to the guy they did match the disco he had to tow it with. Will be using it for routine trailer jobs for now. I have future plans for building a locking lid on it with a fold out platform big enough to roll my camping swag out on to to sleep on. I’ve got another alps trip booked up for September with 2 of my friends in my 90 so someone will be in the back and the trailer was definitely needed. So I’ll be away for 10 days testing it on and off road and confirming whether it’s the right option for keeping my 90 forever without having to upgrade to something bigger.

I have to say on first impressions towing it back was unbelievable. There is zero noise from the hitch setup at all. Unlike any vehicle I’ve been in that’s been towing. She needs touch of paint in a few places underneath but overall I’m stoked to finally have one. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #982955 18th Feb 2023 9:14pm
blackwolf

Interesting that he towed it with a Disco. As far as I know there is no type-approved method to fit a NATO pintle to a Disco hence no legal way to tow a Penman or other trailer fitted with a NATO lunette (unless you have Crown exemption, of course).
Post #982963 18th Feb 2023 10:36pm
LandymanStefan

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
He had already sold the disco too so I didn’t get to see the setup. Could it not have been done with a Dixon bate slider plate in some sort of fashion?
Post #982965 18th Feb 2023 10:48pm
blackwolf

Yes, but the pintle would be extremely low (below a Defender rear crossmember height) with a Disco DB hitch.
Post #982980 19th Feb 2023 8:20am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Type approval apart, people have been fitting NATO hitches to Discovery 3's and 4's for years. It typically involves a US spec receiver hitch(which just plugs in) and a bracket that also picks up in the large built-in recovery eye directly above. It places the hitch in line with the bumper and works very well, particularly if Discovery wheels and tyres are fitted to the trailer.

Alternatives include fitting a DB adjustable hitch to an existing tow bar with a NATO hitch on a standard saddle, but it doesn't give quite the same ground clearance. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #983066 20th Feb 2023 8:04am
blackwolf

LRA wrote:
... Alternatives include fitting a DB adjustable hitch to an existing tow bar with a NATO hitch on a standard saddle, but it doesn't give quite the same ground clearance. ...

This is precisely how I used to do it when I needed to, noting also that Bradley/DB advised me to invert the slider to gain extra height. This was before the pintle had TA, so with a non-TA pintle on an inverted saddle I was being properly bad! Those days are over, I am now a reformed character.

The above does give rise to a disturbingly nose-down attitude of the trailer, but works OK is you are towing another vehicle on a NATO rigid bar or Hollebone.
Post #983084 20th Feb 2023 10:57am
benspray

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Chawton White
Hi all

Anyone towed one of these behind a 130? if so I'd be interested to see how the hitch is mounted please Smile
Post #983096 20th Feb 2023 12:06pm
Moo

Ukraine 
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
Type approval apart, people have been fitting NATO hitches to Discovery 3's and 4's for years. It typically involves a US spec receiver hitch(which just plugs in) and a bracket that also picks up in the large built-in recovery eye directly above. It places the hitch in line with the bumper and works very well, particularly if Discovery wheels and tyres are fitted to the trailer.

Alternatives include fitting a DB adjustable hitch to an existing tow bar with a NATO hitch on a standard saddle, but it doesn't give quite the same ground clearance.

We've all done it. I did it with my D3. However, the problem arises with your insurance if you have a crash. If they find you were towing using a non approved tow hitch would they have a get out? Its not something I would want to test now.
Post #983097 20th Feb 2023 12:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 6 <123456>