↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Why won’t fuel pump go in easy?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jobo

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
Why won’t fuel pump go in easy?
2003 td5 hcpu. Fuel pump in tank needed changed. Cut hole in load floor which I’ll strengthen and patch later. Everything on towbar and chassis rusted so not going near that can of worms. Didn’t cut the rear stiffener so pump came out at angle. I’ve managed to get new pump back in but take it the locking ring goes on pump first to locate the plastic lug on the pump with lug on ring then you rotate both clockwise to lock in… what I’m finding is I have to really force down on the pump to get it to go down. I’ve taken it out again and I haven’t jammed or damaged the float and felt inside the full fuel tank and there are three raised bits for the pump to sit on. I’ve got the pump centred on these but it’s a hell of a force to get the pump to go down to a point where the locking ring tries to catch a thread. It’s the correct pump and matches the original in dimensions but that was a Censored to get out and can’t remember if it was sprung that much. Is it just the tank flexing. 120k miles.. TIA
Post #953098 21st May 2022 1:17pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Put the rubber gasket in first, then the pump. Make sure it’s lined up up (take note of locator at 6 o’clock as you’re standing at rear) then push down.
Post #953104 21st May 2022 3:53pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
When I did mine it felt like an unreasonable amount of force too, especially as you have to get it partially threaded before it won't just ping off on you (Mind you my locking ring is also in need of replacement)

I ended up using a hammer handle on the pump and leaning on the hammer head with my chest to have both hands available to tighten up the ring.
Post #953143 21st May 2022 10:35pm
Jobo

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
Exactly what I ended up doing with the hammer. Should really have got a new ring when I bought the pump. There was also a plastic white ring attached to the black metal ring which I can’t see on the bay pics. It was rotted onto the ring so I didn’t try forcing it as the ring was on last legs but I take it it should be separate from the ring in an ideal world. Well the pumps in, a spare ordered as I went cheap and a new ring in the post. It’s just a real pain that Land Rover puts a strengthener just too close under the load bay. At leat the AA towed me home when the pump quit but the a tech didn’t have a clue, didn’t check pump relay output and just put it down as a wiring fault.
Post #953201 22nd May 2022 4:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1