↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > noisy air-condition - any 'typical' issue?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
BrunoJ

Norway 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
noisy air-condition - any 'typical' issue?
My aircon get last months very noisy, when running 2500rpm or more the main noise is like a failed barring, I almost don't hear the engine, so you can imagine... disabling aircon - silence. (ok, "silence" Wink
Visited some service today (in Poland, not specialized with LRD) and they point to the compressor , which potentially should be replaced (aircon works like a freezer, very helpful with current temperatures..). They redirect me to specialized aircon service. They after their check, they suggested that it is rather related to some other rolls, connected with compressor with the belt. More stress for all elements when compressor works, so he again redirected me to 'classic' mechanic, to check all around, before really disassembling the compressor.

Belt has been changed last year during annual service, so potentially it keep all system more tight.

Just wonder it could it be famous case? Some obvious roll or barring I should check first?
Post #909010 22nd Jun 2021 7:47pm
Kevlar

Czech Republic 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
My AC is noisy but only when the cooling fan is running, the fan was seized as I guess the previous owner never used the AC. I managed to lubricate it and free it but it still sounds like gravel for bearings.

Is your AC noisy as soon as you switch it on ?
Post #909092 23rd Jun 2021 12:17pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Have you had it drained, vacuumed properly and re-pressurised recently - only over-pressurising a system creates a very noisy, very hard working pump, and amazingly cold air but only for short periods (then goes warm as the system saturates).

If it's only recently been done - i'd suggest it's been overfilled.

I had this on a focus years ago.
Post #909093 23rd Jun 2021 12:22pm
BrunoJ

I did it two years ago. Drove above 1000km in one day with aircon was freezing cold all the time with 30+ Celsius outside. But noise was the same also in lower temperatures. I believe it is mechanical, but I'll check it.
Post #909138 23rd Jun 2021 4:31pm
BrunoJ

After detailed verification it seems that the noise is definitely comming from the Air compressor and its barrings/cluch. There is a lof of red dust around, not visible because of the plastic cover. Looks like mechanical issue - air compressor to be replaces of repaired. As weather in Norway is not so extreme like was in Poland recently, I'm not using aircon very often, which of course not solving the issue, but potentially prolong the life of the compressor a little bit.
Post #914584 29th Jul 2021 9:57am
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Unfortunately it's the other way round. AC systems hate doing nothing. Particularly in a vehicle environment. Non use means they very quickly start to fail. Once you've got it working again try and flick the switch and run the system at least once per drive even if only for 60 seconds. It moves the oil round the system and engages the clutch etc.
Post #914585 29th Jul 2021 10:04am
BrunoJ

Thanks for remaining me. I'm enabling it from time to time. And it is still cooling properly, simply making hearable noise while running in aircon mode, and very quiet, but noticable with open engine cover, while aircon is disabled. My impression is the fail is about barings outside the air compressor, those the belt is running on rather than anything the fluid/oil can help.
I know previous owner didn't use aircon regularly. I have it permanently on, unless last month when it gets really loud and disturbing. I'm just afraid at some point it will crash and block the belt then I have all accessories disabled and cannot drive anymore.
Post #914590 29th Jul 2021 10:17am
zdq87

Slovakia 
Hello, I have a similar issue in my Puma and maybe someone could shed some light as I have no idea here.

My AC is working fine and when the ambient temperature is mild, it runs also pretty quiet.

But now, as the temperatures began to rise and we've seen 25-30C days, it is annoyingly noisy. The noise is again acceptable on idle, but as soon as the RPMs begin to rise, the noise gets louder and changes its pitch with the RPMs. If I turn the AC off, no noise.

Again, this only appears when ambient temperatures rise to summer levels and its pretty annoying. I also have the feeling that the engine has to work harder (less eager to rev) when this is present.

Last year I had my AC refilled and they didnt mention anything that may be wrong with it.

Is this normal? Thanks for any tips!
Post #953043 20th May 2022 2:00pm
Silli

Finland 
BrunoJ wrote:
Thanks for remaining me. I'm enabling it from time to time. And it is still cooling properly, simply making hearable noise while running in aircon mode, and very quiet, but noticable with open engine cover, while aircon is disabled. My impression is the fail is about barings outside the air compressor, those the belt is running on rather than anything the fluid/oil can help.
I know previous owner didn't use aircon regularly. I have it permanently on, unless last month when it gets really loud and disturbing. I'm just afraid at some point it will crash and block the belt then I have all accessories disabled and cannot drive anymore.

My AC on my puma has the exact same symptoms. Did you solve this issue by any chance? I’m close to ordering a new compressor…
Post #956871 30th Jun 2022 4:32am
Silli

Finland 
I'm still having this issue, the aircon works and blows plenty of cold air. But it's noisy when revving, and seems "heavy" on the engine. I doubt a normal aircon service would be of any help, new compressor needed?
Post #992672 15th May 2023 8:48am
Cragster69

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Cairns Blue
I don't have AC on my Puma but I do have it on my other car. I had a very noisy mechanical bearing sound last summer that went away when it was turned off.

I thought it would be a new compressor ££££ type job. I got an Aircon recharge from Groupon for £25, as my first point on the troubleshooting. The pre work test showed a virtually empty gas system. It was recharged and the noise went away. The technician did say it might come back if there is a leak or a problem. They do a pressure test beforehand so that they are not just discharging refrigerant into the atmosphere and it passed that ok. Not had any problems since.

With ATS Euromaster AC recharge if it fails the pressure test it can't go ahead and you get your money back, unfortunately you need to fix the problem with your AC system but there's nothing to lose in my opinion and it's an easy fix or clear identification of a problem. Craig.

“Don't believe everything you read on the internet.” ― Abraham Lincoln

www.scotgrc.co.uk
Post #992736 15th May 2023 3:58pm
BrunoJ

Really sorry not responding on time. Somehow missed to contribute to the forum last months/years?

Addressing the question - no, I finally didn't replace the compressor, although that was a firm recommendation from few mechanics. (Replace to new one, or make proper refurbishment). What they told - it will work fine, till one day it will just stuck on barring, most probably killing the belt. Nothing like that happen till now, while I added something like 40kkm millage in the meantime. The aircon has been refilled twice between, no change in the noise. What I can add here. The noise doesn't change/improve over the time.
So, still unsolved, and unclear if this is really the issue. Didn't have a chance to compare with any other similar Puma.
Post #1029345 26th Mar 2024 10:41am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1