↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Finance & Insurance > Any young / new drivers offer thoughts on insurance costs..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Any young / new drivers offer thoughts on insurance costs..
Hello

My daughter will soon be learning to drive and athough my 110 is manual I had the idea to buy a 90 of some variety and do it up for her.

Question though, would insurance be horrendous for her? I would rather she builds up her no claims rather than be on our insurance?

I have 18 months or so to find and get one ready. It would be interesting to know if other young drivers can insure them?

Cheers
Post #951992 8th May 2022 7:34pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Based on my efforts to get a quote for my 17 year old daughter on my 96 300 tdi 90, the answer is yes. It was looking like about £4K, just completely off the scale.
Post #951994 8th May 2022 7:53pm
Guinness

United Kingdom 
Im 25, passed my test when i was 17 and had no accidents etc, and i still use my dad as primary driver on the insurance as it halves the price to about £380 i think, for me to be primary driver its £800(no mods or anything). when i was 17 i had a panda and that was over £1000 i think for me to be just a named driver...
Post #952004 8th May 2022 9:03pm
Mean Green

Scotland 
Interesting post - I was wondering similar. I have just over a year to decided what to do for my daughter.

I was thinking Freelander 1, 3 door.

Has anyone done a cost comparison of a Green Oval product vs 'normal' first car of a similar value. I know the actual final cost depends on a whole load of criteria, but I just wondered if anyone had researched it to give a rough guide - a fiesta/polo/Clio is X - a Freelander on the same details would be Y.
Post #952327 11th May 2022 9:16pm
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
I’ve just tried to insure my son on a insurance group 2 vehicle as he is turning 17 on the 24th. Bearing in mind he will be on a provisional so only driving while accompanied the quote was £2240. And this would more than double when he passes his test if within his first year of driving.

I’ve now insured his mum in the very same vehicle with him and me as a named drivers, all the details are the same and he will still only drive it while accompanied on his provisional licence and the quote was £350. And this is with mum not having ever owned a car or having insurance previously, so zero years no claims bonus.

Insurance is a minefield, and if you can’t spare the time to research for the best deal, one of the many insurance brokers will cash in on your misfortune.

What ever you do you do need to be honest with the detail they require, don’t mislead them to get cheap cover because if you need to claim they will be looking for some kind of get out.

Who said i’m cynical about insurance companies Whistle Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #952333 12th May 2022 3:21am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
I ended up buying an MY18 Polo with a massive 1.0 engine. It comes in 3 power variants and I checked with the insurers whether it made any difference - it was about £10 between then 60 something bhp and the 95bhp. My daughter can be insured in her name with me / wife as named drivers for under £1k.
Post #952358 12th May 2022 10:13am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
It may come to it that we need to buy a small engined something or other so she can get her own no claims?

I was hoping that an older 90 with limited mileage (potentially 1000) would be a bit for fun (and I can use it)

I guess having a 90 insured my my wife and adding me and daughter as a named driver she would gain no, no claims of her own so not great.

I will try and do some quotes see what happens...
Post #952359 12th May 2022 10:42am
Smyles_

Denmark 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
Insurance was the one thing stopping me from buying myself a 110 as my first car. Was quoted in the multiple thousands as the named driver and I just couldn't justify it. Ended up buying an UP! and learning in that until I'd built up 1 years NCB - something you can only do as the policy holder. Then bought my '04 110DC and was £800 odd the first year as policy holder then down to £600 odd the second. Hasn't been much price drop the past few years now being 24.

To be insured on my mum's nice new green oval was an extra couple hundered too as she keeps reminding me.

I've made a similar post about this topic this in the past - I'll see if I can dig it up Very Happy Stuart

Cummins 130 Build Thread
Instagram

04 110 Double Cab - Black (gone)
58 130 Double Cab HCPU - Cairns Blue
Post #952360 12th May 2022 10:59am
Smyles_

Denmark 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
Found it -
Smyles_ wrote:
I'm 22 and those prices seem pretty reasonable for somebody who's just passed. I looked at all my options when I was 17 to try afford myself a defender as a first car and sadly it just wasn't possible as I'm not sponsored by Bank of Mum & Dad Big Cry I had to instead buy myself a VW up! as my first car to build up a year or twos worth of no-claims. Probably the best thing I could have done as a new driver - would probably have lodged a 110 in a hedge somewhere in Scotland if it were my 1st car Whistle

Then at 20 I finally bought myself the 110 and I'm the only named driver on the insurance.

My price breakdown for those that are interested:

UP! (Direct Line w/ black box - 4k miles/year):
2016 - 2018: between £560 (whilst a learner) & £440, respectively (can't find my documents, sorry)
Don't worry about a black box either, as it's calculated off how others with black boxes drive those roads and not actual speed limits. I drove that UP! near its limits on familiar country roads all the time and would come home from Uni at 77 mph between Stirling and Dundee frequently as I know the limits for average speed cameras thanks to a friend, yet my renewal would always drop and the app would annual average out in the green, above 80/100 Mr. Green

Defender (Admiral - 10k miles/year):
2018 - £871.05 (was sadly only 1 month short of 2 years NCB so would have been less if I'd waited Evil or Very Mad )
2019 - £640.00
2020 - £538.77 (which increased by a further £280.27 after moving to England a couple months ago)

Keep in mind I was told by an insurer that my now old postcode was one of the "safest" in the UK so those prices might be hard to find.

Hope that helps Thumbs Up

Edit: NFU don't insure young drivers unless you're a farmers child basically. Think it was something like 22 until they insure posers like me Razz
Thread: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic75984.html

To add, something I picked was that milage made a big difference from memeory. I ended up going with Admiral at 4k miles quoted per year, then increased it as I apporaced that to 10k a year. Only cost 100 or so extra after I bought the policy compared to thousands if id quoted 10k/yr from the get go Wink Stuart

Cummins 130 Build Thread
Instagram

04 110 Double Cab - Black (gone)
58 130 Double Cab HCPU - Cairns Blue
Post #952361 12th May 2022 11:07am
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
If you are a named driver on a policy and can provide evidence of a claim free history, which should be simple enough, a lot of insurance companies will give you NCD now. Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #952377 12th May 2022 3:00pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1