↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Potential Crank Position Sensor issue?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
CDN38

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
Potential Crank Position Sensor issue?
I've had the worst issue as of late. Suddenly the the engine runs extremely rough, un-driveable and dies. I get it towed to the shop, it sits for 2 days, as soon as it starts, it runs extremely rough and dies.

Next day, it starts, and runs perfect for 2 days. Aa day later, same issue.

-198,000 km on the clock
- 4 years on a Turner AMC head
- No codes
- entire fuel system checks out 100%
- ECU checked out (no oil), ground is good, everything is good
- CPS... well, potential issue... minor physical damage to the sensor, (no clue why). Shim was in place. bench tested and works as it should. Seems strange that it could be the CPS as they usually work, or don't. I've not heard of any issues with them being intermittent. May as well replace it anyhow.

Valve cover gasket was leaking at the rear for some time, not sure if there's potential for contamination on then connector from that??

It's a real head scratcher, hoping someone may have some insight....

Intermittent issues are the WORST! Especially when the only tech shop for this sort of work is a $250 ferry ride each way when I trailer the truck there. They haven't been able to replicate the run ability issue, and you know for sure as soon as I drive it home, it's going to happen again!! Big Cry

Has anyone here had anything similar? Or have any ideas??

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40792.html
Post #952200 10th May 2022 7:23pm
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
I have a small problem too. I don't use my 90 often so it stands still longer times. When I start it the first time I know the battery voltage is low while starting but most of the time I get it started. Razz

Sometimes it will run rough for a short while and if I then check for faults with my gen 1 Nanocom I see a CPS signal problem. I think with me it is the low voltage that causes it. I will see.

For you: I would check the sensor cable as I read that it might sometimes give problems.
For the sensor I would put 1 layer off tape on it and put it back, and take it out to see if there are any marks on the tape. If not do a small run and check for marks.
To close is also not good.

I don't know the cost of a new CPS sensor but it might be cheaper then transporting your Landy to a mechanic. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #952236 11th May 2022 9:20am
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
Check also starter. Some starters are a bit bad - still nicely turning the engine, but producing lot of unwanted signals to car power system a jamming output signal from CPS sensor.
Also I have repaired some TD5 ECUs with slight damage on the CPS input - the were all working, but were very susceptible on CPS voltage - required play with shims below the sensor. After repair of ECU, there was only one limit - mechanical position of the CPS - not to damage it. ECU was able to work with quite a large range of input voltages. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "BlufĂ­nek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #952242 11th May 2022 9:44am
BP

2007 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Coniston Green
I had a strange issue with my td5. Limp home, CEL, losing power. Then fine on restart. Changed CPS and all was good again.
Post #952348 12th May 2022 9:42am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1