Home > Puma (Tdci) > PUMA 2.2 - Overboost fault codes and limp mode
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
BaCoNMX6

Netherlands 
PUMA 2.2 - Overboost fault codes and limp mode
Hey All,

First time poster but hoping you might be able to help prevent me getting stranded on my current road trip.

So backstory time - bought my 2014 PUMA a little under a year ago from a workshop/quasi-dealer. At that time I had him put a tune on it (still unsure exactly who/what but hopefully besides the point)

Since then it has burst 2 intake pipes and left me stranded on 2 road trips including being towed off a freeway in Belgium! And right now I am having ongoing CEL and limp mode issues on a 5k kms road trip through Europe.....

First time we assumed it was an old hose and just replaced it. Second time I upgraded to silicone hoses and also uprated the intercooler. This mechanic also took a look at the codes and diagnosed a fault actuator module so replace that.

After this I had no issues for almost 2k kms....until I was on this trip!!

After about 400kms on the freeway the CEL came on and went into Limp mode. I pulled over, checked everything and it looked OK so I disconnected the battery for 30mins and did a 5x on/off cycle with the key and was back to normal power (but CEL still on, cleared itself about 120kms later). I managed to find a LR dealer the next day who scanned the attached. (This was a little over a week ago - sorry it's also in French....which I also don't speak)

Since then I have had the CEL and limp mode happen another half a dozen times all under different circumstances - some while under heavy loads up a mountain pass, some coasting downhill and today EVERY time I turned off the car it would restart in limp mode!! (And to clear it I would cycle on/off 5 times and also jiggle the turbo actuator arm)

Unfortunately i am now not near a landrover dealer to have the last week' of codes scanned but assume it will be the same.

My mechanic thinks it's somehow related to the DPF system but I think it could be a dirty turbo stopping the variable vanes closing.....

Ultimately I still have 3k kms on this trip and open to all suggestions or thoughts on what I might be able to do with some basic tools on the road!!

Cheers in advanced and sorry for the long post!
Michael
Post #950145 22nd Apr 2022 5:32pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Here is your fault code list

Click image to enlarge

From the P0047-11 code I would be looking at a wiring harness break/rub/damage on the branch which runs to the turbocharger actuator plug.

P0047-11 is saying there is a short to ground (body/chassis) detected on the actuator control signal.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #950238 23rd Apr 2022 3:32pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BaCoNMX6

Netherlands 
Hey Martin,

Thanks for the reply and funnily enough I was looking at that harness this morning!

There are a couple areas where its rubbed over the years but I couldn't see anything through to copper however to be safe I cable tied the harness up off those spots.

The car behaved well today so it's a good start but equally it could be fine for 2k kms like before....

Any merit in greasing the actuator pivots and cleaning the MAF anyway as I was hoping to find an auto parts store at some stage....so anything I should pickup would be awesome. Would rather clean, replace or check more than less.

Cheers,
Michael
Post #950239 23rd Apr 2022 3:36pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I use some 3 in 1 light oil on the actuator pivots every whips while.
I did consider grease but due to temperature it might dry up and make it worse if it did.

Works for me. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #950251 23rd Apr 2022 5:54pm
BaCoNMX6

Netherlands 
So to loop back on this I made it the 3,000 kms back to amsterdam without a single issue since cable tieing the wiring loom off the engine so I guess there is a short there somewhere despite not being able to see it!

I will get some more wrap and add some layers while keeping it cable tied slightly...
.any other suggestions?
Post #952312 11th May 2022 8:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1