Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 2007 2.4 gear problem advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
steve E

Wales 
2007 2.4 gear problem advice
Hi all
If anyone could help that would be awesome.
My gear box and clutch will work fine then all of sudden be hard to change gear or not be able to at all.
If I stop, turn engine off and on again it will then go into gear.
Clutch feels fine.
Gears all work fine when engine is off.
Any advice would be great
Post #905943 1st Jun 2021 10:55am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
did the clutch rattle, how old/many miles , could it be a spring has started to come out?

what colour is the clutch fluid, has the seal started to fail? any clutch fluid leaks DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #905948 1st Jun 2021 11:43am
Gleo

Isle Of Man 
I had the exact same issue a few weeks ago on my Puma ...LR said it was the gearbox, stripped it all apart and found the torsion spring had come out of the clutch with the inner spring stuck behind the pressure plate, explaining why I had issues engaging gears on an ad-hoc basis..
Seems to be a regular known issue with the OEM clutches.
See pics ...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #905952 1st Jun 2021 12:29pm
steve E

Wales 
Thanks Gleo
Got it booked in at a good independent
Next week. đź‘Ť
Post #906087 2nd Jun 2021 7:28am
Gleo

Isle Of Man 
If you want to avoid the OEM clutch, maybe worth looking at the LOF Powerspec Clutch, as the LOF clutches seem to get good reviews on various forums.
Just installing mine at the moment, so can't vouch for it quite yet, but it certainly seems to be a better built clutch arrangement when compared to the OEM.
See: https://lofclutches.com/shop/clutches/clut...ma-bundle/

Promo code:. loffriends21
Post #906089 2nd Jun 2021 7:58am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Another alternative is the Ford Transit 4x4 clutch, which has a small but appreciative following and seems to be very much more enduring than the Landrover version.

(Note that the 4x4 Transit does not have a DMF).
Post #906105 2nd Jun 2021 9:47am
DAZ110

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Barolo Black
Yeah, had the same problem in my previous 2007 110 many years back. Rolling Eyes

Steve E, out of interest, what mileage have you done?
Post #906114 2nd Jun 2021 10:16am
steve E

Wales 
It’s got 79850 miles on the clock.
Thanks for the help guys.

đź‘Ť
Post #906169 2nd Jun 2021 5:54pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
My 90 has developed the same symptoms as the OP on this thread.
Despite replacing the MC and multiple bleeding attempts, the issue has not gone away.

Either the slave has failed or a spring has came out, either way it looks like a new clutch and slave is required.
I have the later slave and adaptor + valve for it. (Genuine).

I am interested in the Transit clutch kit….

I don’t know the condition of the solid flywheel though was gone at 40k but at 88k right now.

Blackwolf - Could you kindly confirm the part number for this for mine again?

Also, should I need a flywheel is there a matching solid flywheel that matches the transit clutch from the same manufacturer?
Mines an early 2.4 Puma.

The positives right now are that I have a new MC (Genuine) that I fitted no I’ve got the late slave, adaptor and valve ready.

My last clutch was done in 2014, it was a genuine one with the PN ending 731 that was fitted but the slave was not the latest available now.

This started with very dark clutch fluid, checked the MC and found it nearly empty but no signs of leaks anywhere as I was driving along I head a bearing noise that started with clutch down.
Topped up the fluid, no change got progressively worse.
Changed MC as old one was old anyway so best to have replaced.
In effect the same symptoms now as the OP stated and isn’t drivable.

Confirmation of the PN and a good supplier would be good, fixings etc I can use genuine.

I am tending think (hoping) the solid flywheels rarely need replacing, the same with the gearbox output adaptor shaft but I’m tending to think about doing it all and having done with it but not cheap..

My bets on this are failed slave or spring fell out of the clutch or possibly both.

Current mileage is 88k, last clutch change was 2014 & at 40k. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #952119 9th May 2022 9:45pm
blackwolf

The 2.4 Transit 4x4 clutch is a SACHS 3000 950 727 and Googling this should find you a number of suppliers.

The current LR clutches are much better than the early ones, the driven plate in my 110 is more or less completely devoid of springiness but doesn't seem to rattle (it isn't a great driving experience) and it has now done something over 100k miles, by contrast if I recall correctly the vehicle was on its third clutch when it passed the 65k mark all those years ago.

I don't know how the price of a genuine one compares with the Sachs Transit clutch, I imagine that it (the LR one) is more.

Unless a spring has come out and mauled the flywheel the flywheel itself should be good for many more miles. It is worth checking for oil leaks from the crankshaft rear oil seal and if there are any, replacing the seal while you're in there. Many people like to replace the spigot bearing at the same time as the clutch but they can be really difficult to remove on the Puma engines and generally seem quite long-lived (mine is original at 255k miles still, but my TD5 Disco is on its third at 200k miles).

If you are changing the clutch I would strongly recommend that at the very least you inspect the output adaptor shaft splines carefully. If they are good, there is no point renewing the parts, just lubricate very generously on assembly and make sure that you assemble them correctly (the retaining ring must be fitted properly and do its job). My preferred lube for this is a molybdenum disulphide grease with the highest moly content you can find - CV joint grease is usually good - since it is good for sliding surfaces. If they are worn, consider fitting an Ashcroft kit.

Contrary to what it says in the WSM, if you are changing the clutch and don't need to drop the gearbox out from under the vehicle you don't need to take the exhaust off, you can slide the gearbox back on a transmission jack far enough to get to the clutch without actually lowering it. The transfer box will, of course, have to come off first.

Are you planning to do the work yourself? It isn't hard but can be daunting if you've not done anything this ambitious before, and you do need to remember that the transfer box and/or gearbox will probably cause life-changing injuries if you drop them on yourself.
Post #952124 10th May 2022 12:01am
custom90

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:

1) The 2.4 Transit 4x4 clutch is a SACHS 3000 950 727 and Googling this should find you a number of suppliers.

2)The current LR clutches are much better than the early ones, the driven plate in my 110 is more or less completely devoid of springiness but doesn't seem to rattle (it isn't a great driving experience) and it has now done something over 100k miles, by contrast if I recall correctly the vehicle was on its third clutch when it passed the 65k mark all those years ago.

3) I don't know how the price of a genuine one compares with the Sachs Transit clutch, I imagine that it (the LR one) is more.

4) Unless a spring has come out and mauled the flywheel the flywheel itself should be good for many more miles. It is worth checking for oil leaks from the crankshaft rear oil seal and if there are any, replacing the seal while you're in there. Many people like to replace the spigot bearing at the same time as the clutch but they can be really difficult to remove on the Puma engines and generally seem quite long-lived (mine is original at 255k miles still, but my TD5 Disco is on its third at 200k miles).

5) If you are changing the clutch I would strongly recommend that at the very least you inspect the output adaptor shaft splines carefully. If they are good, there is no point renewing the parts, just lubricate very generously on assembly and make sure that you assemble them correctly (the retaining ring must be fitted properly and do its job). My preferred lube for this is a molybdenum disulphide grease with the highest moly content you can find - CV joint grease is usually good - since it is good for sliding surfaces. If they are worn, consider fitting an Ashcroft kit.

6) Contrary to what it says in the WSM, if you are changing the clutch and don't need to drop the gearbox out from under the vehicle you don't need to take the exhaust off, you can slide the gearbox back on a transmission jack far enough to get to the clutch without actually lowering it. The transfer box will, of course, have to come off first.

7) Are you planning to do the work yourself? It isn't hard but can be daunting if you've not done anything this ambitious before, and you do need to remember that the transfer box and/or gearbox will probably cause life-changing injuries if you drop them on yourself.

1) Thank-you - there is a few suppliers out there that I have found. Thumbs Up

2) I agree, but they still aren’t great. This one seems to have managed around 8k more.
Though until I find out it maybe the slave that’s the culprit and not springs but will have to see.

3) The prices are more or less at the same mark, at least currently there maybe ÂŁ50 in it maybe with different suppliers.

4) I agree, I had intended to change those both the seal and spigot bearing. Before the last clutch change the seal was leaking, since it has not leaked but would be best to change anyway as you can bet it will after being disturbed. Leave nothing to chance as you can bet that it’ll be one of those “if on I had replaced that” type of moments.

5) Mine were good last time (splines) and were greased well, I am wondering if I may get the kit and keep it just in case. If it’s not needed I can keep it until a later date if it is it’s ready to go. I’ll have to think about it. I’m just thinking what a pain it would be to go maybe after a new clutch but it’s difficult to say. Driveline seems fairly decent right now. The slack I had it it at one time was mainly cured by replacing the DM’s all round with Ashcroft HD and rear halfshafts.

6) I can imagine, it’s not unknown as you know for the WSM to have some errors and irregularities contained which sometimes can make a repair a far bigger job than what is needed.
Maybe, it was intentional in places, maybe not.. Laughing

7) No I won’t be tackling it myself, I am happy to undertake quite a few things but this is outside of the scope of what I would take on.
The main factor is as you’ve mentioned the risk and danger of the weight involved, I don’t have a workshop environment nor the equipment either.
So for this reason I’ll get it done for me, in the mean time I’m buying the parts myself and then after that I’ll look into transport and labour quotes.
Obviously I can’t drive it so that’s a pain in its self, I do have RAC home start etc etc. But may have to pay 50% possibly transport I’m not sure yet as I expect they’ll want it to be really local and my preferred Indy is D44 which is quite some way from me.

I’m not a fan of LR themselves for this kind of thing, I have emailed a few for parts enquiries just this week and not really even had a reply. Their charges are staggering and in all honesty I trust Indy experience more as they are more often or not enthusiast themselves where as LR have probably more of a get them out the door and the invoices paid up NEXT type attitude.

Finally, yes my mind is pretty much made up to go for the Transit clutch. The LR version has been a pain, I did expect better especially seeing as it was the latest LR clutch version.
Back at the time the latest slave was not available and could be that.
But my assessment is this is failed slave due to minor leak, or spring fell out the clutch or possibility of both.
One may affect the other but the symptoms I have is exactly as Steve E had.
The only bonus is when the time comes at least it can be loaded on truck just about and isn’t dead weight and not moveable at all.

The joys. Laughing

Thank-you for the info. Thumbs Up Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #952199 10th May 2022 7:22pm
steve E

Wales 
They used a clutch repair kit LR 048731G
Clutch slave cylinder. LR068979LR
New adaptor. LR068981LR
New Valve. LR068982LR

I’ve just had a brand new engine fitted with Auxiliary equipment
New turbo etc at 8K lol.
Post #952265 11th May 2022 4:00pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
That’s the updated LR slave, bleed valve and adapter etc that I have ready to go in. 👍🏻

Though as I mentioned I’m gonna go for the Transit 4x4 clutch as Blackwolf suggested.

If it’s good enough for Blackwolf it’s good enough for me, I know he knows what he is talking about.
Same thing with Ashcroft, they are really good too I can vouch for it.

I had hoped this clutch I had in now would last much better, it’s was and is the latest ensign 731 Gen from LR. It only managed 48k. Which is only 8k more than the original previous spec clutch.

Even if it would have made 60k I could have accepted it a little but only 8k more…

I have a feeling that this is a slave failure or spring fell out, especially the latter.
It did improve after I changed the MC but very little and now cannot be driven.
On the bright side I do have a new MC fitted in, which I did do myself.
The old one was past it’s best, fluid was very black and did 88k original so I am happy enough to change that.

When I first noticed a problem I had what sounded like a dry bearing noise when the clutch was down and then more difficult to change gear.
When I got home I checked the fluid and it was nearly empty in the MC res and black fluid but no signs of leaks.

My last slave cylinder had a leak under pressure before that was changed but that east the latest spec.

Of course as most of you know it the latest spec slave needs the associated bleed valve and adaptor changed along with it.
For good measure I got some replacement fixings for that as well.

I really did hope the new Gen LR clutch would be better, but 8k improvement on the original isn’t much as all. Especially considering I don’t ever tow or carry anything above a tonne. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #952278 11th May 2022 5:11pm
blackwolf

custom90steve wrote:
If it’s good enough for Blackwolf it’s good enough for me, I know he knows what he is talking about.

Don't believe it, he just makes it up as he goes along! Rolling with laughter

The Transit clutch does get the thumbs-up from forum stalwart dgardel however, so can't be bad.
Post #952284 11th May 2022 5:42pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I had read that. 👍🏻 Laughing Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #952295 11th May 2022 6:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1