↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Headlining & Sunvisor retrim
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
LANDROVER

United Kingdom 
Headlining & Sunvisor retrim
I'm bored in isolation....and the headlining is really bugging me!

It looks grubby and I'm thinking of recovering it. I have removed and cleaned last year but its not come up perfect and still looks dirty.

Any advice....talk me out of it if you need too!

I think I saw someone coloured or painted the sunvisor?

I think I'm going black lining. Just looking at options and glues before I order this weekend.
Post #827454 24th Apr 2020 7:29pm
donmacn

Ho ho - I've just finished this job - 110 lining in three pieces.

Ages ago, I'd bought the new material, brushed the old foam off the lining cardboard, and painted it with diluted pva glue (to make it less absorbent so that it would take the spray adhesive without soaking in).

However, I'd put it off for ages until I felt stronger, 'cos I knew I'd need help, and it had a huge 'family stress' potential.

In the end it was 'OK' - I took photos which I could dig out, but it's properly impossible to do this, using DIY kit, without having to deal with fabric folds. I think that for £150 for the roll of material, and 3 or 4 tins of high temp spray adhesive, it's a reasonably good result. Certainly better than the grimy, sagging fabric that was there before.

There's a video on the 'Britannia Restorations' youtube channel (the guy in Canada) and that was useful. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #827469 24th Apr 2020 8:13pm
LANDROVER

United Kingdom 
My 110 is a Double cab so only front and rear section plus trim pieces.

I was going to buy a roll of about 3 meters long and 1500mm wide.

Then some good glue and blades.

You mention fabric folds? Is that just to get the corners?

I'm keen to try but I'm completely on my own so might have to put this job aside! or I will recover it and wait.

If you have pictures would be awesome to see them.

I'm now going to watch the video. Thumbs Up
Post #827493 24th Apr 2020 9:48pm
donmacn

I think I got my stuff from these guys - if not here, then somewhere very similar: https://www.martrim.co.uk/car-trimming-sup...g-kits.php

By folds, that's what I meant - because the fabric doesn't stretch too much, it's impossible to get it to adjust to all of the contours. We did use a heat gun very carefully, having first tested what happened on a bit of scrap fabric, but too much of that and your new lining is toast!

I'll see if I can get the photos tomorrow. I'm being a bit perfectionist really - it's definitely adequate for an older Defender, and I always favour how something behaves over what it looks like. My logic was to see how I got on for £150 and some of my own time, as opposed to £600 for something new. Looked at that way, I'm even happier!

The video I watched showed them glueing and fitting half of each headlining section at a time. Having done it now, I think having someone to help would be highly preferable, but it might be possible to have a go by yourself, simply by spraying glue onto smaller sections, working in bands or 'strips' across the piece. Donald

(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )

in the past..
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

Post #827496 24th Apr 2020 10:08pm
donmacn

OK, so this took me a little longer than 'tomorrow' but hopefully it's still of some use.

In no particular order. I suppose I'm actually trying to show the wrinkles and flaws, but to be fair to myself, and my helpful assistants, there's more that's good than there is bad.

The most difficult bit is the front section - because of the indents for the sun visors:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Similarly, at each of the locations where there's a corner in the indented panel:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

and then at the corners on the middle and rear sections:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

No doubt somebody more experienced, or who was used to working with fabrics or similar material could do a better job, but even then, there are some places where you need to fabric to simultaneously stretch and compress... can't be done easily in a DIY setting.

WHen it's just done, you spend a lot of time focussing on the flaws. Now that the lining's been in a few more days I'm barely concerned at all. It is what it is, and £450 cheaper than buying new. Donald

in the past..
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

Post #827963 27th Apr 2020 1:17pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
I've thought about doing mine a couple of times, and would probably go for 4 way stretch carpet, as used for trimming campervans.
Post #827972 27th Apr 2020 1:35pm
LANDROVER

United Kingdom 
donmacn wrote:

WHen it's just done, you spend a lot of time focussing on the flaws. Now that the lining's been in a few more days I'm barely concerned at all. It is what it is, and £450 cheaper than buying new.

Don,

Thank you for the pictures. Certainly looks fresh. I can see it will be harder that the youtube videos show Rolling with laughter

I had better wait until isolation is over and have an assistant for me to blame when I get it wrong Whistle

It's something I will need to do as mine looks grubby. Thumbs Up
Post #827982 27th Apr 2020 2:06pm
mattc

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 2.5 TD HT Java Black
miker wrote:
I've thought about doing mine a couple of times, and would probably go for 4 way stretch carpet, as used for trimming campervans.

I did my 90 with this and have thought about using it on the headlining. It worked well and is quite forgiving so it will stick down without leaving creases. The stuff I used was called Veltrim.

Click image to enlarge
Post #827983 27th Apr 2020 2:16pm
betty02

Anyone thought about getting it flocked? Used to be a thing back in the day for dashboards on track cars, but seems to now be easily available in a DIY kit. Not sure on prices though maybe works out more!
Post #827986 27th Apr 2020 2:28pm
LANDROVER

United Kingdom 
mattc wrote:
miker wrote:

I did my 90 with this and have thought about using it on the headlining. It worked well and is quite forgiving so it will stick down without leaving creases. The stuff I used was called Veltrim.

Click image to enlarge

Interesting! My 110 is XS spec but whilst it has carpet floors. They don't carpet underseats in the rear which bugs me! Maybe I should line with this 'Veltrim'.

What glue did you use? Thumbs Up
Post #828095 27th Apr 2020 9:11pm
mattc

I bought some a roll of Veltrim from a supplier on eBay and it came from some spray adhesive. It was very easy to fit. It's not hard wearing. I think it's really designed mostly for walls, ceilings and panels and covering up things, but it does look smart once in place. It has a four way stretch, so can bend around curves without creasing.
Post #828120 28th Apr 2020 5:39am
mattc

I think Bolt On Bits is using Veltrim and sells a kit for £20 for relining the front section of the headlining. Looks like Veltrim to me.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-Front-Roo...SwmWdeahFa
Post #828452 29th Apr 2020 11:33am
The Gribbin

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Auto Caledonian Blue
Headlining front section
Having done the rear a few years back, finally got around to the front:

Once the old material was pealed/fell off I was left with a furry/foam covered panel... thought it would be a PITA to clean, by a scrubbing brush did the job in no time:

Click image to enlarge

Sprayed with glue... came with 2sqm fabric and two cans of the Bay:

Click image to enlarge

Saw this trick online... lay material over loosely and then fold back to you can spray the underside, half at a time:

Click image to enlarge

Left plenty around the edges, and this stretchy material was easy to get into all the corners:

Click image to enlarge

Finally got it all back in:

Click image to enlarge

Still a bit saggy in the middle... anyone else fitted extra fir tree fitting up into the roof braces, where the sunroof would have been?

Just need to do the sunvisors... not sure how to do them... bight be a purchase from the next Malvern jumble Whistle
Post #951874 7th May 2022 2:28pm
balmybaldwin

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Buckingham Blue
What size speakers have you got in the roof lining? was thinking about doing this sort of thing, but wasn't sure if there was enough depth and havent had time to investigate
Post #951910 7th May 2022 10:19pm
The Gribbin

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Auto Caledonian Blue
They were in when I bought the vehicle... Pioneer, could be 4", they're not very deep, but there is quite a lot of space/depth in that area.

It's quite a nice place... near your ears... unlike previous Defenders I've had, with the speakers mounted in the door, by your ankle!

Hope this helps Smile
Post #951959 8th May 2022 5:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1