↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Alpicool compressor fridge
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
steveww

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Bronze Green
Alpicool compressor fridge
I've just purchased an Alpicool 45 litre compressor 12V fridge from Amazon. It's a quarter of the price of an ARB or Engel. Would it survive a six month overland expedition in Africa? Probably not. However for a few camping trips per year it's great.

I use it with a Jackery 1000 power pack. I run the fridge off the mains at home first to get it down to temperature, put cold stuff in it from the kitchen fridge and off we go. Once cold it uses approximately 15W per hour which means the Jackery will run it for about 66 hours; this is plenty for a weekend. Of course with the Jackery plugged into the Defender it will charge up when the engine is running. The Jackery can supply power while it's charging. I also have the match solar panels which charge at about 120W in full sun.

If like me you're looking for a fridge, warm Bollinger is so terrible Wink , and don't want to spend a grand, have a look at the Alpicool.
Post #941406 7th Feb 2022 2:46pm
kmac

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Got a discount fridge but a seriously cool power pack - I went for a mid range fridge (Engel) and a dual battery system with standard lead acid batteries.

That power pack is very desirable.

Agree, warm Bollinger is awful
Post #941609 8th Feb 2022 11:51am
steveww

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Bronze Green
I got the Jackery 1000 power pack and solar panels off eBay for a bargain price. It will power the fridge, charge phones, laptop, lights etc.

My Defender is not a full time camper, so I not want to go with the whole split charge system and inverter.
Post #941615 8th Feb 2022 12:10pm
kmac

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Thumbs Up
Post #941812 9th Feb 2022 4:59pm
othorton

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
I also have the Alpicool 45l and used it for a 2week trip around France last year. I was impressed with how quiet it was, how quickly it cooled down and also how cool it kept even whilst unplugged.

I wired a fused 12v cigarette socket straight off the battery. For roadtrips or weekends I've found my standard Defender battery worked absolutely fine maintaining a good temp and the fridge's auto shut off feature if the battery voltage dropped too much was also good for peace of mind (albeit I never ran into this issue even with the fridge running for 20hrs straight).

Naturally it won't perform as well as an Engel or Dometic but nor does it cost anything like them.

Jackery batteries are a bit gucci - it seems if you're a youtube "influencer" they're quite happy to send you a free one though.
Post #951528 4th May 2022 9:36am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1