↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2.4 coolant tank getting pressurised
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
neon1991

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Firenze Red
2.4 coolant tank getting pressurised
Evening all, having some fun with my defender. I was getting an occasional power loss for a while unexpectedly loosing power on hills etc. swapped the thermostat and then later noticed a leak from the oil cooler. Fixed all of these but now my expansion tank seems to pressurise quite quickly. Tried 2 new caps and all the same. It’s got to the point that it’s burped it’s coolant out the top.

Anyone had similar. Keep thinking it’s head gasket related. Also noticed that it’s a bit slow to start in the mornings. Second turn of the key is fine but the first go it seems to turn over really slowly.

Any ideas!?
Cheers Smile
Post #951244 1st May 2022 7:08pm
neon1991

I’ve just been out and noticed that the level was down about an inch from the cold fill level, opened the cap and the velvet returned to the normal mark. I put a pressure test set on it and pumped it up to about 15psi and it held without issue. Noticed that on doing this pressure tests that the expansion bottle had pretty much nothing in it when at 15psi.. all comes back when you release the pressure.
Post #951261 1st May 2022 8:05pm
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
head...... Big Cry
Post #951264 1st May 2022 8:13pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
neon1991 wrote:
Noticed that on doing this pressure tests that the expansion bottle had pretty much nothing in it when at 15psi.. all comes back when you release the pressure.

Means that there is air somewhere in the engine, radiator... well somewhere in the system. Air is compressible, liquid is not. So when you pressurize to 15psi, the volume of air practically becomes half of what it was before.

Where the air inside the system came from? I am afraid answer might have already been given. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #951265 1st May 2022 8:18pm
Greyman110

United Kingdom 
Very similar to an issue I had with mine.

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic75278.html

Was the head gasket in the end.
Post #951267 1st May 2022 8:30pm
neon1991

Cheers guys. Yep greyman110, sounds exactly the same as your issue. Going to drop it into my local Indy and see
Post #951272 1st May 2022 9:35pm
Big Harold

Australia 2015 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Alpine White
EGR Cooler could have a pin hole in it.
Just loop the hose to remove from the cooling circuit to test.
Mark
Post #951279 1st May 2022 11:36pm
neon1991

Bit of an update. Went to my local Indy and they thought the same as me (head gasket). Couldn’t find any evidence of coolant loss other than the expansion tank. We were both stood there for a while trying to work out what it could be. Sniff test is negative.. top of the rad hot, cold at the bottom. New thermostat etc. they said that rather than doing the head gasket I’d be better off looking for a good 2nd hand unit. 🙄. Out of desperation before I drop a chunk of change on a recon. I had a good prod about tonight and found this. Wondering now if the pump is just the culprit! Would explain the lack of flow coming back to the header tank other than steam. I’ve ordered a new pump and an egr cooler just in the hope it’s not a head gasket fail

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #951480 3rd May 2022 9:23pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Definitely worth a go, and water pump could well be the culprit, unless it’s leaking due to the pump gasket being under too much pressure due to a head gasket issue

The egr cooler issue seems to be more with the 2.2 than the 2.4, but again could be the culprit. At least trying these first is the cheaper option than a head gasket change. Obviously a cost risk if it turns out not to be water pump or egr cooler, but one I would likely take in your position.

If doing it yourself I would suggest doing the temporary egr cooler bypass first by joining the in and out pipes and see if that changes things, if it does then buy and replace cooler. If not change the water pump and see if that works.

If indi doing work it may be cheaper and quicker to do all at once rather than separately.

Having said all that it does point to a head gasket. Seems your indi is not keen to change it, or thinks the cost is prohibitive, but if done properly by someone who has done before and knows what they are doing it will be cheaper than another 2.4 engine , unless there are other reasons to change the engine.
Post #951494 3rd May 2022 10:59pm
neon1991

No other reason to change it other than it has 140k on it. To be fair if I was paying my Indy to do it then I’d probably just go for another unit. Most of the engine is free to pull by the time you e stripped the head. Daft design but hey.

I thought the same about the shaft seal it might have just been under too much pressure… we shall see I guess. I’ve got a stripped recon waiting for me to pull the trigger but I really don’t want to go that route if I don’t have to. The stipulation of the new engine is that water pump, vac pump and oil cooler need to be new so I’d be days away from ordering anyway. If it’s no good then I’ll be starting the strip down and nabbing my new bits back 😂
Post #951509 4th May 2022 7:32am
neon1991

didnt bother messing about as time was against me so swapped the engine out for a lower mileage 2.4 unit. running like a good one again Smile
Post #954691 6th Jun 2022 11:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1