↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Swing Away Spare Carrier on a DCPU tub. Which one and how?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
Smyles_

Denmark 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
To me from an engineering standpoint, it seems like the Nak wheel carrier is compromised in that sense then Stefan and they've designed out/limited future expected wear/settlement with the additional rubber support. Why not just design a mechanical system that can support the full load at one point with no vibrations in the first place? Especially at that price point!

Click image to enlarge
(said support for those interested)

Additionally, I would not really want a plastic push near the rear tailgate of a pick - nasty materials go in the back of there. I've transported tonnes of very fine sands in the past in my old 110DC which would not be very forgiving to a plastic bush. At least with the bearings the first point of protection is a packing of grease which will continue to lubricate, then there is the increased hardness of steel over plastic. So no, I can't see how a plastic bush is better than a readily available automotive-grade wheel bearing from a reputable brand.

And what about those that run Trasharoo style spare wheel bags, bike racks, or oversized mud tyres? The ORE design clearly demonstrates that large eccentric loads can be supported without issue both in an open and closed state. I'd be interested if you could close a Nak or similarly designed wheel carrier carrying a large load without it snagging or abrading on the rubber support. Stuart

Cummins 130 Build Thread
Instagram

04 110 Double Cab - Black (gone)
58 130 Double Cab HCPU - Cairns Blue
Post #941594 8th Feb 2022 11:54am
Penuwchian

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
They're made by Raptor 4x4 but I came across it on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372073445361?ep...Sw0VtegquA

I don't think that installation in a stepped tub Puma would be an insurmountable problem to be honest, and Grenadiers proposed stick set could provide a high level fixing point with a bit of ingenuity.

Raptor have told me these won't work in a Puma (had to ask twice- as the first time I emailed they thought I was asking about a Ford Puma...), but surely there must be a way to just space it out with washers... Seems alot of money for what it is, only to be "botched" after...
Post #944248 1st Mar 2022 2:50pm
M94PUMA

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
I’ve got a bog standard Britpart swing away carrier for my double cab. Absolutely spot on, No rattles or movement. It’s several years old and is still like new.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #944378 2nd Mar 2022 8:08pm
Intercept

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
M94PUMA wrote:
I’ve got a bog standard Britpart swing away carrier for my double cab. Absolutely spot on, No rattles or movement. It’s several years old and is still like new.

Click image to enlarge

From what can be seen in the photo that looks identical to the Safari Equip carrier so is possibly just rebadged. I have the Safari Equip carrier on my DC and it has worked perfectly for many years.
Post #950081 22nd Apr 2022 9:03am
chrismack85

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 PU Belize Green
rolakola wrote:
The ORE truck cab carrier is coming soon and looks like an excellent option: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CbkavxBjm8F/

Live on the website Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Post #951475 3rd May 2022 9:04pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Only 50 available of first batch, first come first served, UK only. James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #951482 3rd May 2022 9:28pm
chrismack85

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 PU Belize Green
Yes only 50 for first batch as we’ve got to make all the production jigs… if we got 100x orders we’d be struggling to deliver that many that quick around the rest of production, i want to make sure we fine tune everything so we nail our usual quality Cool

Some companies may take more orders but not our style Very Happy
Post #951483 3rd May 2022 9:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234