↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Finance & Insurance > Insurance Help Needed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Ninja man

I’ve just fitted QR boss and momo steering wheel with swivel lock.rang insurance and they classed it as steering modification and no charge. I’m with John Lewis (covea underwriters), they’ve been very good to deal with can highly recommend them
Post #883840 7th Feb 2021 7:10pm
Nick999

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Thanks for all replies and good advice guys. I had a bump this year. 1st one in 30 yrs but expensive. I think L&V were tring to off-load me. Insured now so all good.
Post #885061 12th Feb 2021 7:16pm
blackrock

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Firenze Red
Insuring Modifications
I'm just about to pick up a 110 and have been trying to tell insurers about :

Removable steering wheel
Security hinges
Parking camera/sensors.

None of these are fitted, but I thought I'd do the proper thing and tell the insurers and see if it affects the quote.
Well, it seems like the people I have spoken to have either only just started their job, or no-one rings up about mods at all. I've given up on the hinges and removable steering wheel and will use other methods of securing the vehicle.
The parking sensors might have eventually gone through after about 4 phone calls and it being referred to the underwriters. Latest is that the change has been approved but when the details were added to the policy a significant premium increase was added. Interestingly the person at the insurance company doesn't think there should be an increase and is trying to remove it. Which was a bit of a surprise.

I see a lot of mods and can only assume that most people don't tell the insurers. It seems daft that these mods that should help stop claims aren't immediately approved.

Andrew
Post #951214 1st May 2022 1:19pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I think it's more a case of finding the right insurer - I've certainly got all of my mods declared. Forum sponsor, A Plan, are good in that regard but there are others such as Adrian Flux that generally have a better understanding of insuring Land Rovers. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #951222 1st May 2022 3:24pm
swt

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I'd really second all that was said earlier on this thread about A-Plan Thatcham. I would insure with them even if they weren't the cheapest (which they often are), just because every kind of mod, or even an endless list thereof, is water off a duck's back. I hate that needless feeling of guilt explaining to someone uninterested the harmless things I've done to my truck, and it's good when it's no great shakes to the broker.

In practice, many mods make no difference to the premium or much else, as long as they are declared. I've had the same underwriters from A Plan and another broker, but the experience was considerably better with the people at Thatcham, just because they were interested and understood what they were talking about.
Post #951224 1st May 2022 3:38pm
Zirmbach

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Santorini Black
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
I think it's more a case of finding the right insurer - I've certainly got all of my mods declared. Forum sponsor, A Plan, are good in that regard but there are others such as Adrian Flux that generally have a better understanding of insuring Land Rovers.

I'd second Adrian Flux as being good, had a LHD Alfa insured with them for a few years when I moved back to the UK, everyone else wanted crazy money, they didn't, when (now ex)wife reversed it into a Mercedes and they handled the claim nicely, annoyingly not a scratch on the Alfa but Mercedes had apparently suffered £2,300 damage...
Post #951633 5th May 2022 9:09am
blackrock

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Firenze Red
Things have moved on for me. I contacted A Plan (Adrian Flux had already given be a quote that was 300% of the one I got with another insurer) and they have come up with a quote 50% higher, BUT that includes all the mods on the car and a big list I made. No problem. And apparently I can add to it and as long as it's not an extreme performance mod then it'll be fine. I've not quite finalised this quote, but I have cancelled my first one. So, it looks like A Plan are as good as people say. Previously I've walked past their branches and wondered who would buy insurance from them when you can go online. Now I know.

As another aside, I found out that modiufications are anything that is added after the car is 'bron', i.e. comes off the proiduction line. So dealer added options like snorkels are mods, even if the first owner took delivery of the vehicle with them fitted. I'm not sure how you are supposed to a) know this (I didn't) and b) know what vehicles were 'born' with.

Andrew
Post #951682 5th May 2022 4:40pm
swt

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I had a few very satisfactory years with Adrian Flux. I changed because I always ended up with the same underlying insurer, which was one I would prefer to avoid; the premiums were spiralling upwards; and the people I was speaking to didn't seem to have the special understanding of my vehicle or modifications that was the supposed advantage of dealing with them. All that said, folks report good, bad and indifferent experiences with all the different brokers. I am sure a lot of the customer service side depends on the person you get connected to on the day, and which side of the bed they got out of that morning.
Post #951684 5th May 2022 5:05pm
Chugaboom

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Aintree Green
Just insured with Aplan, Gareth was very helpful.only shaved £20 off my premium (old fart with Saga) but thought if I ever had to claim it might be better.
Post #955687 16th Jun 2022 3:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12