↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > V8 > V8 Ninety / V8 Defender guidance required
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Ranger 6

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol CSW Rimini Red
defender9 wrote:
My V8 has the normal 3.5 carb engine with the 5 speed LT85, it’s definitely no rocket ship but doesn’t need to be. Of course you can go for one of the later Works V8’s which LR produced if you can find one and have around £150K or thereabouts lying around Whistle However I’m happy with my Old School V8, just enough power and a nice burble from the exhaust.

Click image to enlarge

That's lovely, obviously a very early one judging by the reg.

Mine too is a factory 3.5, albeit with a couple of wrinkles. OP I've started on a journey which I guess is similar to the one you're planning. I found mine in 2018 and have been slowly upgrading and improving things along the way. It's now got Discovery manifolds, RR down pipes and a TD5 exhaust, BBW needles, Bilstein Shocks and some of the bushes have been swapped for Poly-Bush.

The next thing is a rebuilt 3.9 to drop in as the clutch is on its way out and I thought a little more grunt would bring it to life. Then a canvas hood is the next thing on the wish list

Click image to enlarge
 90 V8 CSW - 1988
Post #950995 29th Apr 2022 11:31am
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
^^^ It was built in September 85 but not registered until October 86. The Ninety V8 was launched in May 85, so yes a pretty early one.
Post #951087 30th Apr 2022 9:23am
FD7

2006 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Auto Chawton White
Lodelaner wrote:
Fine if serviced and looked after. Sensitive to missed oil changes and overheating if neglected like any other engine.

But, they’re smooth and will tolerate quite a lot of wear to cam and valve train without sounding like a bag of spanners.

To drive they’re great off and on road. The low speed driveability is unlike a diesel and they even tolerate running backwards on a failed hill climb.

What books did you get in the end to satisfy your thirst for knowledge?

Thank you and good to know re: tolerable nature on failed hill climbs Laughing

I went with the James Taylor options (first and of course obligatory photos when they're next to a mug of tea and spanners whilst under said V8.....), all courtesy of the billionaire online book supplier... Nice and useful enough, but of course also nice to chat from real world users and what not Whistle

Also the Gold portfolio (brookland) book is still available!
Post #951234 1st May 2022 5:02pm
FD7

2006 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Auto Chawton White
[quote="Ranger 6"]
defender9 wrote:

Mine too is a factory 3.5, albeit with a couple of wrinkles. OP I've started on a journey which I guess is similar to the one you're planning. I found mine in 2018 and have been slowly upgrading and improving things along the way. It's now got Discovery manifolds, RR down pipes and a TD5 exhaust, BBW needles, Bilstein Shocks and some of the bushes have been swapped for Poly-Bush.

The next thing is a rebuilt 3.9 to drop in as the clutch is on its way out and I thought a little more grunt would bring it to life. Then a canvas hood is the next thing on the wish list

Click image to enlarge

Thanks for sharing - looks a vehicle with character. Thumbs Up Yes indeed similar plans and yours does sound great, although very much wanting a clean lined cruiser. A lovely white on white (with white RoStyle wheels) CSW just left the filling station as I'd arrived and was more in keeping for what I was after. Looked and sounded fantastic!

I don't seem to be finding many if I'm honest, would love to get stuck into a project (ish) Cool I guess if anyone takes pity on my search, please do feel free to PM me....
Post #951235 1st May 2022 5:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12