↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > EML and EGR - Which way to go
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Stiff1

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
EML and EGR - Which way to go
So, EML light came on a few days ago, 2007 2.4 56,000miles 110 CSW.

Code reads EGR open ( it is making a diff noise on self cleaning cycle so suspect it is stuck)so options are:

Replace with new

Remove, clean, replace

Blank off

I know there is a mountain of opinion over the years on blanking on here but thought I would go for one, concise word on the matter, thanks in advance.
Post #950821 28th Apr 2022 9:44am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
from a purely mechanical perspective I would fully endorse the blanking option but you'll need the remap to run with that option.
Post #950822 28th Apr 2022 10:05am
Stiff1

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I to am keen on the performance benefits of blanking, although not huge (as well as a cheap option) but I did not think a remap was essential at the same time?

My concern with blanking is that I believe the EML light stays on which would play havoc with my OCD as well a disguising any future EM issues.
Post #950824 28th Apr 2022 10:47am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Remap will stop the EML completely (for the EGR issue you have) and fault codes for it but everything else will work as expected and other faults if they occurred.
In other words you’ll never get an EML for the EGR again, but if you had a Turbo or MAF fault then the DTC would be logged and the MIL would illuminate if required.
Best to slip a blank in on the EGR as well at time of remap.
Can be slipped in without undoing fixings completely.
Done. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧

Last edited by custom90 on 28th Apr 2022 8:20pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #950861 28th Apr 2022 3:40pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Bear in mind also that having the EML on permanently means an MoT test failure and legally renders the vehicle unroadworthy.

The usual way to disable to EGR on the early Pumas is software, just blanking the pipe used to cause an EGR fault and EML. I think that some on here found that if you have a tiny hole in the blanking plate then it was OK, but that seems to me to be unsatisfactory.

You shouldn't need a blanking plate as well as a software disable provided that the EGR is genuinely and fully shut when it is disabled - if it is stuck it will stay stuck. One it is disabled it won't move, so I suppose that the blank is only useful if there is a possibility it is already stuck open.

The biggest "performance benefit" of disabling the EGR is that the life of the engine should be extended by many hundreds of thousands of miles since you are excluding all manner of horrible gunk from being ingested. The disbenefit is that it does strictly render the vehicle illegal and also spontaneously makes you public enemy number one in these green and woke times.
Post #950863 28th Apr 2022 3:48pm
pistonfields

Switzerland 
Quote:
I think that some on here found that if you have a tiny hole in the blanking plate then it was OK, but that seems to me to be unsatisfactory.

I am runing that option, and needed to enlarge my hole during winter operation to about 14mm or so, which is rather big and will allow a lot of volume through (and now adds a nice whistling noise). I still needed to clean the MAP sensor (it sits before the EGR outlet!) as it still got covered in oil. Thus for me the first thing I would always do is adding an oil separator in the breather pipe to keep the engine clean. Blanking the EGR will not solve that issue and in my experience on modern engines it's the bigger problem.
Post #950978 29th Apr 2022 11:01am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1