↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Intermittent miss.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
portal pat

Australia 2001 Defender 110 Td5 SW Fuji White
Intermittent miss.
One for the gurus. My 2001 TD5 110 has an intermittent "miss". When it occurs I am always in 5th gear. More I load the throttle, the worse it gets. Stays as I downshift. I can get it to go if I travel down a long downhill stretch on no throttle, or if I pull over, switch off and restart. I have used contact cleaner at both ends of the injector loom, no oil evident. I have added a can of premium injector cleaner to the tank. Problem persists. Head has been completely overhauled some time ago. It doesn't happen every time the car is driven. ECU codes give no clue. Motor otherwise string and pulls hard. HELP!! Nothing suggests poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape.
Post #950690 27th Apr 2022 7:07am
Penfold_6290

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Rule out engine bay issues - MAF sensor (unplug and drive for a bit, ECU will go into a default mode so will drive OK), MAP sensor - remove, clean and refit; turbo wastegate actuator - could be seized causing over boost - some good videos on Youtube about this.

Also something to try - attach a wire with a ring fitting to one of the studs that the ECU bolts to and run it to a good earth or the negative battery terminal. I had a similar issue where the temp gauge would shoot up to full temperature and the engine would start to misfire, all down to a poor earth between ECU body and vehicle.
Post #950703 27th Apr 2022 9:53am
portal pat

Thanks Penfold. ECU is adequately earthed. Turbo wastegate actuator is free.I will check the MAF and MAP. Cheers. Nothing suggests poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape.
Post #950746 27th Apr 2022 2:44pm
mark1200

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
I had something like that and it was putting the ecu in to limp mode. switch off the engine and restart and all was well again. It was the MAF sensor that had failed and as they get old they do fail. Its easy to check as if you unplug it and go for a drive i would imagine the problem will not come back except for the pounds it will cost for a new MAF sensor.
Post #950758 27th Apr 2022 5:11pm
portal pat

Thanks Mark. I'll just have to wait until it does it, hop out, unplug, see if it fixes it. Nothing suggests poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape.
Post #950800 28th Apr 2022 2:12am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1