Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
cykoh85

Malaysia 1990 Defender 110 200 Tdi SW Santorini Black
TDI 200 Injector Issue

Click image to enlarge

Dear all

I had found some leaks (engine oil) underneath (please refer to photos) and my question is the leaks come from the injector?

My local mechanic just wrapped the injector by only white tape, so does it work? or must change the new injector to solve the issue? Or not the injector issue?

Appreciated all your help! thank you

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #950400 25th Apr 2022 3:32am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Welcome to the forum.

Are you sure the injectors are leaking, as they seem to be dry from the pictures.
But could also check that there is no cracked leak off pipe, it is the small rubber pipe that goes from one injector to the next and return excess fuel to the filter/tank.
Should also check the lift pump, if that is perhaps leaking. It is located on the right side (driver side for Malaysia Wink) next to cylinder #4.

As a side note, if you are not constantly wading your Defender, you should consider leaving the wading plug out. This is located at the bottom of the flywheel housing. It looks like it was painted silver. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #950410 25th Apr 2022 7:26am
cykoh85

Hi Dinnu, thank you for your replied.

There was an engine oil leaked out from injector (1st Injector) previously, then my local mechanic just took out the injector and wrapped by white tape. Is it solved?

Now I found that underneath (picture that I drew with red boxes, some engine oil appeared, don't know where is the leaks come from).

May I know where is the wading plug located? Please see the picture as attached, correct?

Click image to enlarge
Post #950423 25th Apr 2022 8:44am
Dinnu

By white tape, I am thinking that you are referring to teflon, or PTFE tape, the same tape that is used on threaded connections for example in plumbing systems?

This kind of tape? https://www.google.com/search?q=ptfe+tape&...p;dpr=1.13

I wonder where the so called 'mechanic' has put this tape.
The high pressure pipe is flared, and is just a metal to metal on the injector. Unless the high pressure pipe flare or the injector sealing surface is damaged!

Correct, that is the wading plug. If oil is seeping out of that hole, depending if it is engine oil (generally blackish) or gear oil (reddish for the LT77 - ATF fluid) then it is an engine or gearbox out to repair.
Engine oil leak from the wading plug hole probably means that the rear crankshaft seal is leaking (quite common).
Gearbox oil leak from the wading plug means that the gearbox input seal is leaking.
If this job has to be done, then it is better to do the clutch kit at the same time. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #950448 25th Apr 2022 10:29am
cykoh85

Yes, correct. this type of tape and normally use for plumbing system. I also don't understand why he wrapped it. So is the injector having problem and cause the small leaking? Please see attached pic (he wrapped with white tape similar like below picture). Or the glow plug?

Click image to enlarge

Dinnu, do you mean the wading plug bolt have to remove out if we are not wading constantly? there only have 2 wading plugs on TDI 200, correct? 1st is near belt there? 2nd is the picture I showed you earlier post, correct?

Thanks for your well explanation Thumbs Up
Post #950485 25th Apr 2022 1:48pm
Dinnu

You may refer to attached for the sealing washer. https://www.lrworkshop.com/diagrams/land-r...s_53154#13

Might be worth asking the mechanic why he used that. Maybe ok to get you home, but I would not trust it as a long term fix.

Yes, the manual says to remove the wading plugs if not going through deep water. You are correct (I forgot about the timing case plug) there are 2 plugs. The timing case plug is nice, because there is a location where you can screw it in when not in use. But the the flywheel housing wading plug you need to keep safe in the cabin.

I think Landrover at time of publishing the manual already know that their engine will leak oil, so is better to have the oil drain from both the flywheel housing and the timing belt off, as if oil level rise in there you will have more problems (clutch slip or timing belt failure).

Yes, 2nd picture you show is correct location for flywheel housing wading plug. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing

Last edited by Dinnu on 25th Apr 2022 7:30pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #950503 25th Apr 2022 4:32pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
If you have oil migrating from the injector then it is likely the the injector sealing crush washer has failed. The injector and the existing washer need to be removed, the bottom of the injector bore examined for debris like another old washer and the injector fitted with a new copper crush washer ERR4621. It would be wise to check and replace the sealing washers in the other injectors too.
HTH
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #950520 25th Apr 2022 7:01pm
cykoh85

Dinnu wrote:
You may refer to attached for the sealing washer. https://www.lrworkshop.com/diagrams/land-r...s_53154#13

Might be worth asking the mechanic why he used that. Maybe ok to get you home, but I would not trust it as a long term fix.

Yes, the manual says to remove the wading plugs if not going through deep water. You are correct (I forgot about the timing case plug) there are 2 plugs. The timing case plug is nice, because there is a location where you can screw it in when not in use. But the the flywheel housing wading plug you need to keep safe in the cabin.

I think Landrover at time of publishing the manual already know that their engine will leak oil, so is better to have the oil drain from both the flywheel housing and the timing belt off, as if oil level rise in there you will have more problems (clutch slip or timing belt failure).

Yes, 2nd picture you show is correct location for flywheel housing wading plug.

Ok, thank you for your diagrams, good information for me! Ya, better ask him for well explanation. He wrapped the glow plug if not mistaken, not the injector...Yes, totally agreed with you, I also believe that not a long term fix.

Ok, I already remove the flywheel housing wading this morning.

By the way, I am noticed this morning there was a light white smoke and some smell when I start a car for few minutes (normally I will start for above 5 mins before drive on the road), any problems? or just a normal condition?

When I drive on the road and engaged with 2nd gear and 3rd gear a mild black smoke come out from exhaust. Mechanic said hard to adjust the black smoke.

hahaha, landrover already know their product will have oil leaks Rolling Eyes Laughing

Last edited by cykoh85 on 26th Apr 2022 8:51am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #950597 26th Apr 2022 8:47am
cykoh85

Mo Murphy wrote:
If you have oil migrating from the injector then it is likely the the injector sealing crush washer has failed. The injector and the existing washer need to be removed, the bottom of the injector bore examined for debris like another old washer and the injector fitted with a new copper crush washer ERR4621. It would be wise to check and replace the sealing washers in the other injectors too.
HTH
Mo

Hi Mo Murphy, Thank you for your replied!

I think better to have a check too, but I am noticed this morning when I start my defender, a light white smoke came out from exhaust and a bit smelly. I read some info from other posts, white smoke is because of the injector...hmmm...anyway, thank you!
Post #950599 26th Apr 2022 8:50am
Dinnu

cykoh85 wrote:

By the way, I am noticed this morning there was a light white smoke and some smell when I start a car for few minutes (normally I will start for above 5 mins before drive on the road), any problems? or just a normal condition?

When I drive on the road and engaged with 2nd gear and 3rd gear a mild black smoke come out from exhaust. Mechanic said hard to adjust the black smoke.

hahaha, landrover already know their product will have oil leaks Rolling Eyes Laughing

Is it really required to idle for 5 mins in a tropical climate? Diesels do not like to idle. I would just drive... my opinion.
White smoke could also be oil getting past the valve seals or the piston rings.
Black smoke is over fuelling. If it is just a small puff, then can be considered normal. But worth checking the air filter is in clean. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #950633 26th Apr 2022 2:44pm
cykoh85

Oh, I am really don't know about diesel don't like to idle. Ok, thanks, I won't let the engine idle next round.

But what about ignition (car engine start key hole) for 3 times - each time 5 sec before start the engine? Or you just would start the engine and drive it?

Ok, I will check all what you have mentioned those parts or area. Thanks👍🏼
Post #950640 26th Apr 2022 3:54pm
Dinnu

The 200tdi have a heater timer. Everytime you cycle the ignition, the glow plugs will come on.
No harm to the engine, but will shorten the life of the glow plugs, and the ignition switch.

A healthy 200tdi generally does not need any pre heating.. even in cooler climates... its a direct injection high compression. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #950642 26th Apr 2022 4:01pm
cykoh85

ok, appreciated for your information! really helpful Thumbs Up Very Happy
Post #950700 27th Apr 2022 8:09am
cykoh85

Dinnu wrote:
Welcome to the forum.

Are you sure the injectors are leaking, as they seem to be dry from the pictures.
But could also check that there is no cracked leak off pipe, it is the small rubber pipe that goes from one injector to the next and return excess fuel to the filter/tank.
Should also check the lift pump, if that is perhaps leaking. It is located on the right side (driver side for Malaysia Wink) next to cylinder #4.

As a side note, if you are not constantly wading your Defender, you should consider leaving the wading plug out. This is located at the bottom of the flywheel housing. It looks like it was painted silver.

Hi Dinnu, for the small rubber pipe that goes from one injector to the next and return excess fuel to the filter/tank, is the green colour(see the picture attahced)?

Click image to enlarge
Post #950701 27th Apr 2022 8:22am
Dinnu

Yes. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #950705 27th Apr 2022 9:01am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>