↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Nuget Stuff Sealed Airbox and RAI Install Notes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
big110

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Nuget Stuff Sealed Airbox and RAI Install Notes
I managed to fit the nugget stuff air intake and sealed airbox finally after a few months of looking in the engine bay and scratching my head....

BUT, a few notes for the next chap searching and just some general notes on my experience.

First, I found no good way to not damage the stock airbox for removal. decided Id just tear it out. some claim it can be done, but I imagine the wing skin may need to come off.

also I have LHD so the damn heater box is right in the way. The flexi tube supplied by nugget does fit but there is no easy way to do it. Bloody knuckes for sure. wing top vent plate off, wheel arch off both help give you a fighting chance.

I also found that after mounting the airbox, the orientation of the fresh air intake to the filter (bottom of the unit) was oriented almost directly facing the fan/fan cowl), when it really should be facing more like towards the bulkhead. So there is no real adjustment in that manner when you mount the airbox except for up and down, BUT by bending the welded on bracket, you can in fact get the inlet to point more towards the bulkhead. It was hard but you can bend it by hand and just even 1" or so aims it back enough to make it easier for the piping to connect.

I also opted to NOT use one part that nugget included and replace it with something different. On the nugget install, the flexible tube from the wing connects with a hose clamp to a plastick moulded rigid pipe coming from the bottom of the airbox. Instead I ordered a section of same diameter (3" ID") silicone piping and a coupler. I put the coupler between the flex hose and the silicone hose, and then the silicone hose to the airbox intake. Added cost, yes....however I really thought the plastic part supplied by Nugget was not going to last being so close to the engine block.

I also tossed out the included nugget stuff worm gear type hose clamps (3/8" diameter"). I purchased some 1" wide banjo clamps in stainless. They will hold up much longer and getting an airtight seal was no problem as they tighten so well and can get a great deal or tourq as you use a 13mm to tighten them.

Here is the steps for the install:
after removal or stock airbox, I managed to fit the Nugget wing vent insert. I put as much silicone sealant that was provided with the kit on the inside of the wing vent and the Nugget part, and got it in place. Then used the supplied screws to basically clamp the wing skin to the Nugget adaptor and let that cure for 48 hours. Now I removed the screws and it was sealed in place and I was able to add the snorkle, used the same screws and holes only this time they went through the snorkel plate.

next was to feed the flexi tube from the engine bay through to the wing vent snorkel adaptor. This was tricky as again there is no F%$#^& room, but with bloody knuckles it worked. Used the provided sealant and the 1" stainless banjo clamp and the second sealed bit was done.

I then added the coupler to the end of the flexi tube with clamp, silicone tube to other end of coupler with clamp, and finally other end of silicone tube to bottom of sealed airbox with clamp. I did not use sealant on the couplers and silicone connection.

The suction power is absolutely incredible when I started the engine and for the real test I covered the snorkel top and the engine stalled out. No leaks and fully sealed.

I hope this dump of information is useful for the next person. The nugget stuff is VERY well crafted.

Next install with be the breather kit manifold...another beautiful bit of kit. Will try to add photos.

cheers

pics of 3" coupler, silicone tube and clamps I used

Click image to enlarge

Post #948563 8th Apr 2022 1:43am
swt

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Great notes. I fitted a nugget stuff airbox last year and had a similar experience getting the standard box out and the new one to sit correctly. A bit of fettling round the fittings was needed to get everything into a useable position. My fresh air intake still ended up very close to the engine/turbo and so rather than use the supplied hard plastic piece, I piped up using my own fittings, to the Naka wingtop intake that I already had. It's all a very satisfactory, if rather expensive, solution.

There's a useful post elsewhere on here identifying the replacement filter from other manufacturers, at a sensible price.
Post #948576 8th Apr 2022 7:58am
Not_Given

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Orkney Grey
Dear Big110,

Thank you ver much for the write-up. I have an SD Snorkel and Nuggetstuff intake waiting for me when I get home.

Have already decided the stock intake is getting sawn in half with out even looking under the bonnet!

NG
Post #948582 8th Apr 2022 8:34am
big110

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Feel free to reach out if I can help in any way. I’m also on WhatsApp

Also YESSSSS on the stock air box. Get out the sawzall! Hah
Post #948613 8th Apr 2022 1:12pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
This is a reasonable guide, for RHD Puma’s https://www.firstfour.co.uk/wp-content/upl...er-box.pdf
Post #948667 8th Apr 2022 6:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1