↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Help ! Dieseling tractor noise ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
chalky

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Help ! Dieseling tractor noise ?
I'll try and describe this the best way I can but my 90 Tdci is making a weird tractor noise that is not dissimilar to the sound of a knackered engine !

When changing up mostly from cold after lifting off the clutch I get a weird kind of over run noise from under the bonnet area ! It happens at low revs and lasts for no more than a few seconds ?
Any ideas ?

Performance or should I say driveability is not affected and the economy does not seem too bad either ?

In advance "much appreciated" DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #9408 4th Apr 2009 8:09am
CFB

United Kingdom 
Is it like a very noisy diesel 'clatter' ? Mine does this, it really is very noisy, not sure if it is a problem or just a characteristic. When cruising along it's quiet, only happens under a bit of load in lower gears. Andy
Post #9410 4th Apr 2009 8:41am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Grockle

Could be excessive fuel pressure 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #9411 4th Apr 2009 8:50am
Pob

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Rimini Red
Mine does only for the first mile while it is stone cold and then it stops. Dont worry I think it just puts a bit more fuel in as it is cold and the noise is just a result of that. As soon as I get about a mile away from home it stops. I know what you mean as it feels like you have your foot still on the throttle for a split second when you depress the clutch to change gear and the engine note is louder and more rattly. Dont worry - be happy Laughing
Post #9412 4th Apr 2009 8:51am
chalky

sounds to me very much like we have the same problem !

It seems to appear at a certain rev range as I have just been out in it now and it held the clattering noise for a good 10 seconds before picking up revs and the noise stopped. I slowed straight down and moved off and felt the pull onder load as it seems to run on under it's own steam as tho the clutch is being ridden ?

The plot thickens ! DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #9414 4th Apr 2009 8:56am
CFB

United Kingdom 
The run-on could be the anti-stall system? Andy
Post #9415 4th Apr 2009 9:24am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I think it could be an engine management cold feature as ive heard it a few times Mike
Post #9416 4th Apr 2009 9:42am
Grockle

See latest thread on the Puma site. 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #9423 4th Apr 2009 12:53pm
shingwell

United Kingdom 
I also get this problem, but in addition I have noticed that sometimes if I keep the clutch depressed and my foot off the accelerator, the engine "hunts" (revs up and down a bit) of it's own accord and then either the problem goes away or, occasionally, the engine management light comes on and the engine goes into limp mode, but is restored to normal as soon as you switch it off and on again.

The dealer said they could not find any fault codes logged, but I did not believe them (or they accidentally cleared them), so I have bought a scangauge (I was going to do this anyway) and finally logged a fault code - P1169, which apparently means excessive fuel pressure. I have yet to hear back from the dealer as to what they intend to do about it.

I notice though, reading past threads on this forum and on the LRO forum, that this fault code is one of the symptoms of the water-in-fuel problem, although I'm not sure about the tractoring. I checked the location of the fuel tank breather and it is not in the "bad" position that causes problems, but nor is it in the recommended "fixed" position behind the lights - it's on top of the fuel tank (but it's a 130 so maybe the pipe wouldn't reach behind the lights). I will check for water in the fuel filter this weekend.
Post #9424 4th Apr 2009 1:33pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
or

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=30857 Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #9427 4th Apr 2009 2:48pm
shingwell

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the thought MK, but I would not describe the noise as a "knock" at all - just a bit rougher and louder, as if standing outside beside an older diesel engine.
Post #9429 4th Apr 2009 4:03pm
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
This is how mine started. Then it got so bad that it would run away and the only way to stop it was to use the clutch. It took me 18 months to get lr to reconise the problem and that happend when the francise manager at my dealers was driving it and he nearly crashed it into a rr in the car park. I had a letter from the technical department saying they can not find a way to fix it. Thats why I have a new one waiting at the dealers to collect. Now it may be mine was an extream case but you may find the information useful.

Boy
Post #9431 4th Apr 2009 7:01pm
mlightfoot

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Yes it is the clutch! I have a 2008 90 XS, did exactly the same thing between 2nd and 3rd when cold.

Took it to dealer, and guess what? The original Puma clutch did not have strong enough springs, there is a modified clutch now and they fitted the new one.

It drives like a totally new car and the clutch is really light!

Hope this helps.
Post #9453 5th Apr 2009 5:36pm
nicks

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Alaska White
mines been in 3 times for this, its diesel knock, they have replaced a fuel valve but it still does it. the main chap at dealer said land rover at first thought it eas water in fuel, but have sisnce discovered its not that - they still don't know what is causing it...
usually from cold changing between 2nd to third.
Post #9464 6th Apr 2009 8:20am
Tony_Hillerby

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Santorini Black
Mine was exactly the same they replaced a couple of pressure valves/regulators on the fuel system and also found the tank full of water yet again. This has sorted the problem and would suggest that this is what is wrong with yours. They said they followed the tech bulletin about water contamination which mentions P1169 and P0089 fault codes. This bulletin has been posted on the site somewhere if you can find it.
Hope this helps.
Post #9484 6th Apr 2009 7:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>