↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > UK-Spain-Brittany in June - general advice/camping costs?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
donmacn

UK-Spain-Brittany in June - general advice/camping costs?
Hi folks,
So it's cold, wet and windy and I'm planning a long-awaited holiday.

Getting to the south coast and the ferries is a consideration in itself when you're up near Inverness, but hey ho.

Current rough plan is Plymouth to Santander, and then three weeks to wander back up to Roscoff in Brittany for the return ferry. We've booked off most of June to do this. Time is booked, no ferries yet.

Santander just because it offers the opportunity for a one-way road trip around the Atlantic coast; Brittany 'cos of a vague emotional attachment as pre-kids, my wife and I had a couple of great holidays cycling and camping around there. Hoping also to go via Arcachon/Cap Feret on the way north just as another 'reprise' of somewhere I went on an inter-rail ticket as a student.

On the cycling trips we had no 'plan' - just cycle along the road, get to a junction, and take the road that looks nicer. I'm more or less hoping to do the same thing, just in the Defender. We'll be roof camping, but throwing in a ground tent as a contingency.

So if anyone's familiar with the areas along the way and can offer any thoughts, suggestions or advice I'd be happy to hear it.

One specific thing that's surprised me on my first googling foray is the apparent cost of camping? Seeing sites advertised (Basque country) at 50 - 60 Euros! That's a whole lot more than I was expecting, though it could just be that my experience is so old that I'm well out of date. We'd not be looking for 'glossy' sites - just a pitch, a toilet and a shower. Is 50-60 Euros to be considered 'normal'??

When we cycled, I think we'd a paper Michelin map which showed campsites, and maybe a brochure or printed guide to campsites in Finisterre - but this was in the early 90's and the internet wasn't a thing. Is it all online these days, or does anyone know of a decent map/guide/site listing sort of thing?

I'm confident the collective brain of Defender 2 can throw up some useful info here!

Ta. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #939596 26th Jan 2022 4:41pm
Mayhem Marshy

United Kingdom 
Hi Donald

Sounds like a good holiday is in the making!

I'm not sure how far you've got with your planning, but we drove to Collioure on the med, where France joins Spain, a few years back. A 2 day drive to get there (fortunately in a BMW), but well worth it. Although on the opposite end of the mountains, I would explore the Pyrenees, the scenery was breath taking to the south. West coast wise, it's all golden sand and sun up to the Loire and its worth staying a few kms in land for a slightly less hectic and cheaper campsite. One must, is a visit to Nantes on the Loire, at the Western end, you need to go here, it is phenomenal:

https://www.lesmachines-nantes.fr/en/

Anyway we're taking our 110 over this year. Good luck with your trip!

Marshy
Post #948301 6th Apr 2022 9:28am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1