↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > 1994 Defender 90 Swivel Housing??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Cubflyer

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Arles Blue
1994 Defender 90 Swivel Housing??
Hi folk - I'm sure this will be quickly answered Smile

I've purchased "One shot" grease for my Swivel joints but looking at my units I note perhaps three plugs which would I guess are related to my joints.

Are these the older ones and require oil rather than grease, looking at some Youtube clips the designs changed at some stage around or after my year.

Click image to enlarge

... and "IF" I use grease I guess I can simply fill from the top and check if "FULL" from the bottom plug, also some clips say to turn the wheel in or out ... does it matter Question

Many thanks

John 2010 Defender 90 300Tdi CW (White/1994)
2021 Defender 90 300Tdi SW (Blue/1994)
Post #947867 3rd Apr 2022 12:23pm
jfh

South Africa 2007 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Chawton White
Drain the oil and fill with grease.
Post #947878 3rd Apr 2022 2:25pm
jfh

No need to check, turn wheel outwards when filling.
Post #947879 3rd Apr 2022 2:27pm
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
Re: 1994 Defender 90 Swivel Housing??
Cubflyer wrote:
Hi folk - I'm sure this will be quickly answered Smile

I've purchased "One shot" grease for my Swivel joints but looking at my units I note perhaps three plugs which would I guess are related to my joints.

Are these the older ones and require oil rather than grease, looking at some Youtube clips the designs changed at some stage around or after my year.

Click image to enlarge

... and "IF" I use grease I guess I can simply fill from the top and check if "FULL" from the bottom plug, also some clips say to turn the wheel in or out ... does it matter Question

Many thanks

John

As jfh says, turn the wheel outward before filling. This allows the fill hole to be clear of the swivel ball.

Put the grease in slowly or you may not get enough sir bleeding out. The tube I got with the grease virtually filled the fill hole - but my swivel pin housing is the type that only has a level and drain plug. I noted that a nozzle from a tube of sealant roughly fits the britpart sachet, so you can cut the nozzle to suit.

I had to remove one of bolts out of the top swivel pin to let air out as I filled mine, but I think that is because it doesn't have a proper fill hole, which I assume is because mine was designed to be filled with oil.
Post #947893 3rd Apr 2022 5:22pm
Cubflyer

Quote:
Put the grease in slowly or you may not get enough sir bleeding out. The tube I got with the grease virtually filled the fill hole - but my swivel pin housing is the type that only has a level and drain plug. I noted that a nozzle from a tube of sealant roughly fits the britpart sachet, so you can cut the nozzle to suit.

I had to remove one of bolts out of the top swivel pin to let air out as I filled mine, but I think that is because it doesn't have a proper fill hole, which I assume is because mine was designed to be filled with oil.

Why am I missing something here Question Question

Surely looking at my image, if you fill from the top ... it should come out the bottom when full (or visa versa) purging the air as it goes.

Also heard of warming the grease to slightly "liquidify" it for better filling and air release Question Question 2010 Defender 90 300Tdi CW (White/1994)
Post #947896 3rd Apr 2022 5:32pm
jfh

One-shot is enough for a swivel pin housing.

No need to check, that's why newer models only had a fill plug.
Post #947898 3rd Apr 2022 5:39pm
Cubflyer

Quote:
No need to check, that's why newer models only had a fill plug

Yep, get that JFH Thumbs Up ... however, Mossberg paints an picture of air issues while filling the swivel Question Question from his experience. Surely it should be rather straight forward.

Quote:
I had to remove one of bolts out of the top swivel pin to let air out as I filled mine
 2010 Defender 90 300Tdi CW (White/1994)
Post #947901 3rd Apr 2022 5:49pm
jfh

I just used the bag, don't push it in all the way but keep a little space around the spout for air.

Take your time, you'll see with the first one.
About 5min max to fill one.
Post #947902 3rd Apr 2022 5:53pm
Cubflyer

Thanks JFH Thumbs Up 2010 Defender 90 300Tdi CW (White/1994)
Post #947903 3rd Apr 2022 5:55pm
Mossberg

Cubflyer wrote:
Quote:

Why am I missing something here Question Question

Surely looking at my image, if you fill from the top ... it should come out the bottom when full (or visa versa) purging the air as it goes.

Also heard of warming the grease to slightly "liquidify" it for better filling and air release Question Question

If you have a point for air to be expelled I would think it will be relatively straightforward. The issue with mine was the hole that I filled through just about fitted the tube. Unfortunately I didn't have a third plug I could remove. I tried filling with just the fill plug removed but it kept spitting it out, which ends up being messy. As soon as I removed the bolt out if the top pin it went in quite easily.

I didn't warm my grease, but perhaps that would have helped.
Post #947904 3rd Apr 2022 5:57pm
I Like Old Skool

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi ST Coniston Green
Maybe not the answer people want to hear, but why not fill with EP90 as LR originally intended?

This way you can drain out the old oil along with any contaminants/water that has found its way in before refilling with fresh clean oil.

Never used one shot grease but coming from an off-road background have always wondered how you clean out the swivel housing if it does get any muddy water in there for some reason, and how would you know if you did? I reckon the first warning of any problems would be when the CV failed. With oil you can remove the level plug and dip the oil to check it's condition.
Post #947907 3rd Apr 2022 6:19pm
jfh

No need to warm up the grease.

The new models only have the fill plug, so you most probably, after going through deep water, have to loosen the seal at the ball.
Post #947908 3rd Apr 2022 6:25pm
Mossberg

Is it possible to top up with oil after using 1 shot grease? I know it kind of defeats the object of one shot, but at least its possible to maintain a level.

I got some one-shot a while ago and I had it a couple of months before using it. When I come to use it, it was separating into oil and grease. I managed to squeeze the tube enough to remix it before putting it into the swivel. I presume in the swivel the rotating CV etc would keep the grease/oil mixed together.
Post #947911 3rd Apr 2022 6:55pm
jfh

Every 4 years, when I do the big service (type C?), I buy one bag and I top up both if needed. I found grease in the diff oil.

But I have replaced all the seals there recently, so I will check the oil before I top up again.
Post #947916 3rd Apr 2022 7:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1