Home > Series Land Rovers > Fairey Capstan Wimch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
sailawaybrad

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Fairey Capstan Wimch
Hello hive mind!

I have a 1963 SWB, that has a fairey capstan sat on the front that I have used once in my 10 year ownership. With that in mind I’d like to remove and sell the whole winch and drive for it (including the drive dog)

Any guesses on a price to ask for? There is one on eBay that is asking £1400, but it’s for the Range Rover.

Mine is in good condition, refurbished 3 years ago. Also have a 30m hemp rope with a hook & eye. 2011 2.4 110 Utility Wagon
1963 2.25 88 Soft top
Post #947332 28th Mar 2022 7:33pm
strang

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
You could have a word with https://www.lroe.co.uk/ who might make you an offer as they sell refurbished winches for series Land Rovers. Euro-Leafing to infinity and beyond.....
Post #947422 29th Mar 2022 3:14pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Very difficult to price up, it really is an example of only being worth what someone is prepared to pay. Generally capstan winches are nothing like as valuable as those of use who own them like to think they are because nowadays they only appeal to the "restoration" sector (which is inexplicable really, since they have many advantages over drum winches when used correctly).

Range Rover capstans were always fairly rare and very few people ever wanted or fitted them, so the value of one is probably of little more than academic interest as far as pricing yours up is concerned. Similarly I don't think that the prices charged by LROE and similar traders is necessarily reflective of market value, although I suppose they must sell some occasionally at those prices.

The value of a SII capstan will also depend very much on exactly what version it is, how original it is, and its condition. I am assuming from your description that it is a genuine 1963 pattern Fairey, with cast alloy fairlead roller brackets and a cast top piece to the capstan. If so and it was mine, in excellent condition, and I wanted to sell it, I would probably advertise it for £1200 to £1500 but expect to get perhaps £1000 for it. If it is rough, tatty, incomplete, has the utility-style tall capstan, has Aeroparts-style angle-iron fairlead brackets, or has an Aeroparts-style pressed steel capstan cap, I would halve these numbers.

That being said we live in strange times and the value of anything connected to Land-Rovers has become extremely unpredictable, so I could be extremely far off the mark! Very Happy
Post #947442 29th Mar 2022 5:37pm
Shroppy

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 130 V8 Petrol HCPU Aintree Green
I would echo blackwolf's thoughts on this, I acquired a few 'rare' parts recently in a job lot and enquired with LR-winches and LROE as I thought they might be of interest to them. LR-winches were very helpful but admitted there was a limited market and most things don't sell, I never heard back from LROE....

If it helps, I purchased a fairey capstan at the same time as the above for £200 last year, it is tatty but complete and in need of some tlc so £600-£750 for a restored item sounds about right. Mine will eventually find its way onto the front of my S2 109 as I think they look just right. Suppose it might be useful too..... Rolling with laughter 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"
Post #947465 29th Mar 2022 9:28pm
sailawaybrad

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Thanks all, I’ve thrown it on FB marketplace for £1500 and we will see what happens! I’m in no rush to sell it, but I’d like to trade it for a winch for the defender that might be more useful! 2011 2.4 110 Utility Wagon
1963 2.25 88 Soft top
Post #947652 31st Mar 2022 7:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1