↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Faults & Fixes (L663) > Anyone else got Steel wheels rusting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Swac3

Anyone else got Steel wheels rusting
Hi,

Washed ours today and noticed one of the steel rims is rusting from under the white coating. Looks like its a weld line i think.

I don't know why I'm surprised metal treatment and paint finish were never a LR strong point. At least it made a whole 9 months before showing corrosion Confused

Anyone else had this already, 3 Landrovers
Post #942247 12th Feb 2022 10:43pm
J77

Scotland 
Yup, all 5.

It’s like there’s tiny holes that haven’t been paint treated 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #942252 12th Feb 2022 10:59pm
Swac3

Click image to enlarge

I've got a couple of spots that look similar to burst bubbles in a spray job and a fine crack running along the seam in several places on the same wheel.

Ours is dirty alot, due to the farm track, noticed it today after a routine jetwash.

Click image to enlarge

Couple of the bolts on the side of the exhaust at the back end corroding too, I cant believe i'm sounding surprised, that said I am Censored off. 3 Landrovers
Post #942253 12th Feb 2022 11:02pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Another"heritage feature" carried forward from the classic Defender! Not good.
Post #942259 12th Feb 2022 11:24pm
01coccobet

Italy 
Heritage Rolling with laughter two gust is mei che one
Post #943875 26th Feb 2022 11:23am
J77

Scotland 
Here’s mine

Click image to enlarge
 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #944355 2nd Mar 2022 3:31pm
Tim in Scotland

Looks like it might be a warranty issue - poor paint prep/application leaving tiny bubbles in the paint when it was wet that then burst on drying.
It you want to get rid of the staining go to the supermarket and get a small pot of Stain Devil rust and stain remover and dilute about 1teaspoon in a bucket full of HOT water (it’s basically oxalic acid from rhubarb leaves). Absolutely imperative not to make it any stronger or it will remove the gloss from your white paint and it will then flake off. Oxalic acid is poisonous so ensure that you wear goggles/ full face mask and gloves when applying even in very dilute qualities. We used to use this as rust and stain remover on the ships when the previous chemical we used (phosphoric acid) was banned by the company because it killed the fishes in the sea (but probably more because it was darned expensive!). Rinse off the wheels and tyres with fresh water once the staining has gone too. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #944360 2nd Mar 2022 4:34pm
Swac3

HI, cheers.

Dealer 'cleaned' the wheels with some sort of acid spray as a fix ! Which is a fix to the visible symptom sure which will just leach out again from the cracked coating.

We did get a full set of take off steels with no obvious flaws at no cost mind you, We intend to fit some more appropriate tyres to , so I'm content with the outcome.

Doesn't change the fact that there's a manufacturing and quality issue but a free set of 5 steels for offroad/winter tyres is fair play for my situation. 3 Landrovers
Post #947150 26th Mar 2022 11:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1