↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Done it again - 110 200tdi
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Done it again - 110 200tdi
There was a defender that I drove past in my village almost daily. It never moved. It started with a cover on it, then the cover got ripped and it ended up nude facing the elements. It's rear window got broken and it has been looking very sorry for itself. For quite a few years.

I popped over to enquire about it. Left my number but nothing came of it.
Then a text out of the blue last weekend asking me if I was still interested.

Popped over to have a look and then back again today. It has not been on the road since 2013 and not sure when the last time it was started or moved.

Astoundingly, we managed to get the wheels turning and the engine started. Handbrake was siezed so whipped off the rear prop. Struck a deal and then took it the 300 or so metres home.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Loads of spares came with it which I have yet to sort through. I also came away with lots of workshop tools. Compressor, sand blaster, air tools, tool cabinet (full of tools), Jack's, axle stands, Jerry cans etc.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

TBH the last thing I need right now is another project but it seems like a noble endeavour to get it back on the road Smile
Post #945580 12th Mar 2022 9:31pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Looks a cracking base.....
Post #945585 12th Mar 2022 10:14pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
I love a saved from scrap rebuild story, keep us updated DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #945599 13th Mar 2022 8:23am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Well done saving it, looks a worthy project! Thumbs Up Bow down James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #945607 13th Mar 2022 10:25am
L110CDL

England 
What's said above Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #945786 14th Mar 2022 8:56pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Thanks all, it certainly is a worthy project.

I gave it a bit of a clean on Sunday so it didn't look quite so sad. No more green mildew on it Smile .

The engine starts very well and runs remarkably well. I'd be tempted to run it as is if it didn't look so rusty. The belts need replacing and the pulleys cleaning, then it seems to be mainly a cosmetic job on the engine. Time has not been good to bare metal components, lots of rust but everything working.

Power steering works and the only light not working is the rear fog and the smashed ns repeater.

Chassis needs a new osf outrigger but other than that it looks to be a clean up job. Rear 1/4 has been replaced and it good order, if a little rusty on the surface.

Tyres have done very few miles 285/75/16 on what we're new modulars. Nsf wheel is rusty in one spot but other than that all OK.

Seats are brand new exmoor trim front and rear. Also full front acoustic rubber mat (wrights or exmoor, not sure).

New fuel tank and filler and rear suspension was replaced although now has rust. Bilston shocks.

Goodies that came with include front radius arms, steering arms, new steering guard, discs, calipers and pads, springs and shocks. Plus boxes of polybushes and a new rear prop.

I don't think it will take a massive effort to get it back on the road but need to consider what the overall plan is before I get stuck in. It seems to be quite a genuine CSW that has not been mucked about with too much along with its original engine with reasonably low miles. Given what I paid for it I can give myself a decent budget and end up with a cheap (relative of course), really sorted defender.

Looking forward to bringing it back to life. Not forgetting the new doors I need to put on the other one.
Post #945798 14th Mar 2022 9:51pm
mini Anaconda

United Kingdom 
Looks great, look forward to seeing more pictures. Thumbs Up BORG - Bucks & Oxon 4x4 Response Group
Post #945819 15th Mar 2022 8:13am
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Bit of a clear out and a hoover. Looking and feeling better already.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Rear floor is incredibly sound underneath the matting. All the other floor panels are in great shape too.

Click image to enlarge

New fuel tanks, pipes and filler. And replacement rear 1/4/ Been so long since it was fitted and painted the paint is flaking off and needs a good clean and repaint. Metal is still sound though.

Click image to enlarge

Upper OS bulkhead needs some attention. It has corroded in a strange way here. Outer seems fine but no doubt a sand will tell me more.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And some more of the stuff that was in it ready to be fitted. Mainly front suspension components

Click image to enlarge

And believe it or not, the rear was all new as well with the components all bought at the same time. These have suffered somewhat from not moving at all.

Click image to enlarge

Amongst the other stuff in random boxes - a new wide angle prop, stainless door and hinge bolt sets, more bushes, front brakes etc etc.

Click image to enlarge

Engine does look a bit of a state:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

But it does start and run well. Need to consider what needs to be done. Everything is all turning and moving as it should. The aluminium components do look a state so they will need cleaning (not quite sure how to do that) and also the rusty steel bits. Need a new radiator and then also probably a fair bit of pipework.

Overall, a really good base and it could probably be put back on the road for not a lot of money. Tricky to work out how far to go with it and how soon. Given what I paid for it I could afford to have a new galv chassis fitted, replace all the rear suspension, do all the necessary repairs (bulkhead, doors, C pillars, sills). Or I could keep the original and repair as required. Time to consider the options yet, have a number of other things on the to-do list at the moment so must resist the urge to get stuck in Very Happy
Post #946470 21st Mar 2022 2:34pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Looks pretty good execept that bulkhead corrosion. Good buy!

Are you planning to keep or sell on? James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #946481 21st Mar 2022 3:43pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Tough question to answer.

It seems like a genuine, unmolested CSW with original chassis and engine which has also not done too many miles. I think it will be nice when done, however carried away I get. Cold be a good car and a nice, appreciating asset.

On the other hand, I also like my other 110. Galvanised chassis and bulkhead, just bought 5 new doors for it, recon engine etc. Noisy and leaky but it gets me where I need to go to have fun and then back again, although not always with the same number of parts connected.

A decision for another day I recon. I don't need to sell it which is, I suppose, a nice luxury. Just space on the drive and political clearance may be the issue. I could always pretend that as I have 2 that are the same age I can consider them part of the kids inheritance and aim to leave one to each of them, surely the boss can't be mad with me for looking at it that way? Smile
Post #946501 21st Mar 2022 6:09pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Sound logic bodstruck, no way anyone could argue with a fair and just inheritance!
Post #946502 21st Mar 2022 6:21pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Thumbs Up the 200tdi is very easy engine to work on i found. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #946513 21st Mar 2022 8:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1