↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > True size Insa Turbo Special Track 235/85R16 v 265/75R16
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
I Like Old Skool

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi ST Coniston Green
True size Insa Turbo Special Track 235/85R16 v 265/75R16
Has anyone got true measured tyre heights of recent/current production of the above tyres?

Currently running BFG KM2s in 255/85R16 flavour but now 6yrs and 30k old they are far from worn out but starting to show the lack of 'newness' in wet clay/grass situations.

My plan is to continue running them to end of life on-road and green Laning where they are more than adequate (green Laning that requires something as aggressive as a Special Track should maybe not be contemplated?).

Ideally would like the S/T in the 255/85 size but there isn't one. Next best option is the 235/85 or 265/75, which with the extra tread depth of the pattern and growth in size due to remoulding process shouldn't be too far short of the 255/85 diameter? My preference would be 235/85 as this will have the least effect on turning circle (ALWAYS important consideration on a 110) although I expect the exaggerated shoulder lugs will require a tweak to the lock stops compared to the tamer KM2s.

So, if anyone has true tape measure sizes (not nominal carcass dimensions) of new Insa Turbo Special Tracks in either 235/85R16 or 265/75R16 spec I would be grateful.

Obviously I will be getting recommendations for HD front half shafts etc next.....
Post #941724 8th Feb 2022 11:05pm
Oldowner

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Aintree Green
I have run a couple of sets of 235/85 special tracks, as the 90 they are on is used in muddy fields and on beaches for work, and nothing else comes close to them for my application.

They only last a max of two years before they crack around the treads.

While I can’t give you any specific new dimensions, (mine are probably 1/3 worn), they are wider and taller compared to general grabber / continental cross contact of the same size. I would liken the 235 special track to be similar dimensions to the 265 BFG KM2/3 mud,

I did have one set of 265 special tracks and again they seemed wider than other 265’s. These are still on rims if you want measurements of them, probably only 1/3 worn, but cracked.
Post #941743 9th Feb 2022 7:59am
I Like Old Skool

I have used them in the past and they are amazing tyres for grip.

The shoulder lugs add a huge amount of width so I am trying to avoid the 265 as this will really hinder steering, but also want to maximise height so would like to know if there is much difference between the two. A tyre supplier I was talking to yesterday seemed adamant that the Special Track 265 was as tall as the 255/85 BFG but kept dismissing the 235/85? Maybe he just had a container of the 265s he wanted to shift?
Post #941747 9th Feb 2022 9:51am
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
The remould ST can vary in size quite significantly due to the remoulding process. OK if you are buying in sets of two or four.
Bought some several years ago and the height difference on the four supplied was so significant they had to be returned and a matched set supplied. Probably due to different batches being held in stock.
Post #941760 9th Feb 2022 11:06am
I Like Old Skool

Just a quick update on this, but not the end of the story yet....

I talked to the supplier again about these tyres and he agrees that on paper the 235/85 should be the same height as the 265/75 (actually by my calcs the 235 is +2mm) but in reality the 235 is almost a full inch less on the diameter.

I have agreed that if that is the case then I will go for the 265s but we will stand the two sizes side by side so I can see it with my own eyes before they build up the wheels.

I have an appointment to collect the wheels next Friday the 4th so will come back with the definitive size answer after that. Thumbs Up
Post #943676 24th Feb 2022 4:45pm
I Like Old Skool

Ok, the final scores are in.....

Rolled out the 265/75 and 235/85 for comparison. As promised the 235 was approx 1" smaller in overall height (I didn't get a tape measure on it but it was clearly smaller by +/- 20-30mm). I couldn't believe it so even checked the sidewall specs to make sure they were the right tyres!

I can only assume Insa are using an alternative casing for the 235/85, maybe the 245/75? I suppose with the additional chunky remould tread that might just fall into the specified size for an AT 235/85?

I rolled my worn spare 255/85 into the comparison and it was very similar to the 265/75 so I decided I would compromise on the extra width to maintain the height I am used to and settle for the 265/75.

These were soon built up on 16x7 ET00 rims(existing rims were ET08) but all took quite a lot of weight for balancing, this is the worst....

Click image to enlarge

When driving the wheel balance feels great, but I don't expect to keep all those weights once I hit the dirt properly!

After fitting them for some reason I felt the urge to go and flex the 110 bus...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #944761 6th Mar 2022 1:17am
I Like Old Skool

Forgot to mention. I took before and after tape measures under the bumper and rear cross member when swapping the wheels over. Even after airing down the new tyres to 28psi the measurements were unchanged by more than 1mm.

I'm one happy chap as now I have a full depth chunky tread and no loss of height compared to my worn but far from illegal 255/85R16 BFG KM2s.

The KM2s will continue to be used for road and Laning while the Special Tracks will be saved for competition and private sites Thumbs Up
Post #944762 6th Mar 2022 1:29am
L110CDL

England 
Nice pic's there of your 110 flexing, i still don't think you can't beat modular's on a defender, they just look the part Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #944982 7th Mar 2022 10:23pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The full length tilt on your Defender is a thing of beauty, can I ask who supplied it?

I love the classic look of that vehicle and that colour scheme, very nice.
Post #944992 7th Mar 2022 11:49pm
I Like Old Skool

@Blackwolf the look of my 110 is no accident. I have intentionally tried to keep it as 'un-modern' as possible without going down the period rivet counting route Laughing
Trying hard to avoid suspension lifts, huge tyres, snorkels, LED lights, privacy glass, alloy wheels, etc, etc.
Getting in and driving this truck takes you back to an age when life was simpler, without feeling like an outdated museum piece. The well maintained early 300tdi certainly has plenty of poke in standard form to match modern traffic flow and will happily do 80mph on the motorway.

Canvas was replaced at Christmas as the old ex-military khaki green one was falling apart and I have always wanted to fit the sand colour with the LR green, the BEST classic colour combination IMO.
Canvas supplied by Undercover Covers (Comptons2000) and was big when fitted but quickly shrunk to a perfect tight fit. They have made a mistake with the position of the centre hoop, but as this means undoing stitching in the roof panel to correct they have not hesitated to offer a replacement canvas. Great quality and service, I can see why there is a 2-3 month wait for their products. They have let me hold onto and use the current canvas while they fit in manufacturing the replacement.
Post #945138 9th Mar 2022 10:59am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Thank you. I wondered if it was Undercover Canvas - the tilt on my 86" is from them and is excellent.

I can completely relate to your ethos with this vehicle, it has for some time been an ambition of mine to create a proper modern "heritage" Defender and it would have much in common with yours. Thumbs Up
Post #945178 9th Mar 2022 6:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1