↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Faults & Fixes (L663) > Lighting bars & legality on road
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

Lighting bars & legality on road
Last night just after sunset and after lighting up time I was driving east and encountered a Black 110 L663 Defender driving toward me with head lights on AND a two dazzlingly bright light bars mounted on an expedition roof rack. I could see his headlights dip/alter beam pattern but the light bar remained on what appeared to be full beam - these bars are incredibly bright in dusk so must be awful in full darkness and totally unnecessary on the road. So what’s the legal situation with these? AFAIK they are meant to be for off road use not on road and should “dip” with the cars headlights. I wasn’t in my Defender but my Mini and in dusk situation with the auto lights and AHBA activated the headlights won’t even come up onto high beam Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #945030 8th Mar 2022 10:51am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
I would say no. With the power they put out it is more than most cars will put out with normal lights on full beam.

Some States in Australia insist that they are covered over on public roads so that they can’t be accidentally turned on.

Even lorries with roof mounted lights on the road have them on at dipped beam and I guess are used as both marker lights and to give warning of low branches.

I have a roof mounted light bar which I got primarily at the time for using on the night stages of the army navigation events we were competing in at the time and so even if the headlights got dirty or submerged we could still see.

I have mine on a separate switch which in turn will only work once the sidelights come on. The switch is on a Mudpod on top of the dash TD5 so no way can it be accidentally switched on.

I did try it on the road once coming off the M3 and heading towards Crondal in the early hours so no traffic, there was so much road furniture that all the light reflected straight back at me……. Rolling Eyes

I guess to sum it up, as light bars are in the minority and therefore those in charge have yet to notice in their chauffeur driven cars and no accidents have been attributed to them then if people are sensible with both use (off road only) and how they are wired up and the placement of the switch then the issue is not having them but inconsiderate use is. So beware before the press picks it up followed by whoever else.

Quick example is the noise some cars make, pops and bangs from the exhaust, and now there are cameras that can pick up on these and send the owner the fine…..
Post #945039 8th Mar 2022 11:33am
camelman

United Kingdom 
If they are CE marked then they are legal for road use as long as wired to the full beam switch

More info here: https://www.lazerlamps.com/news-media/post...g-it-legal 
Post #945042 8th Mar 2022 11:46am
jpboost

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Camelman beat me to it. Legislation already exists for this.

If the bar(s) stayed on when they dipped their normal lights, then they've not been installed correctly (legally).
Post #945043 8th Mar 2022 12:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1