↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Defender 110 cargo space layout - special att. kzycnn
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
herbson

Iceland 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Alpine White
Defender 110 cargo space layout - special att. kzycnn
Hello good people.
I am new to the forum but excited to have joined. I am in the process of deciding on the layout for the cargo space in my 110 for overlanding. I will keep the car as a 5 seater and have a roof conversion (Alu-Cab) installed. I am looking for smart storage solutions but at the same time keeping the cargo space as "light" as possible. Something like a box or chest on the wheel arche to one side (that could also work as a seat while camping). Hoping to be able to fit a fridge on the opposing wheel arche. I found some ideas on mobilestoragesystems.net but would love to learn about other possibilities.

I saw a picture from a member of the forum (username kzycnn), posted 14 May 2020 under a thread called "Table for the rear door" with a cargo space setup similar to what I am thinking about. I wanted to pm said member but the system will not allow pm until I have submitted 3 posts to the forum. So this is the first one and if kzycnn sees this, fingers crossed, I would be very thankful for a reply Smile
Post #941150 5th Feb 2022 7:08pm
apt100

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Welcome. Why not say "hello" in this thread (for post #2) https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic233.html

Last edited by apt100 on 5th Feb 2022 9:22pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #941161 5th Feb 2022 8:02pm
herbson

Thanks for the tip Smile
Tried that but system will not allow a new submission so soon after my last!
H.
Post #941169 5th Feb 2022 8:14pm
kzycnn

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Hello and welcome!

I'm 'kzycnn' or Tony, to use my given name Very Happy and have just seen your post and request for contact. I assume you are interested in how I get on with the Mobile Storage Systems cupboards?

I've attached a couple of pictures to show my current layout. They are available as either a 'flipper' with a drop down flap, or a drawer with the latter being a wee bit deeper and designed to go on the wheel box. I have a drawer on the left hand side, with two flippers above and four flippers on the right (a drawer can't be used at the rear RHS because of the space taken by the filler pipe.

I've been using the MSS stack'n'stow system for many years with my oldest being from some time before Trek Overland took over the MSS fabrication (the eagle eye will spot a change in colour - the earlier boxes were grey with (optional) black lids, which Trek no longer supply).

The current configuration does allow for the second row seats to be used as the boxes are all clear of the doors. I don't have these seats in mine though, instead having a section on the right (accessible from outside) which houses jerry cans, water pump and tools, and then a fridge and stack of three storage boxes.

I also have an Alu-Cab roof fitted and use the boxes to the right hand side as a step to help getting into bed!

Tony

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #944571 4th Mar 2022 3:12pm
herbson

Hi Tony.

Many thanks for the reply. Great to see the pictures, very helpful.

I am near decided to buy some boxes from MSS. Probably 2 stack n stow (preferably drawers but if not then flippers) to be put side by side on the RHS wheel arche and a standard load are store drawer in the middle. You mention that drawers cannot be put on the RHS, is this also true for a LHD 2015 110 Defender you think? I spoke with MSS and they did not mention this.

Another thing I am looking at is possibly putting in some carpets (exmoor trim for example) back to front. If I would go for that, does it produce any problem with fitting the boxes you think? However, I am not sure it is a good idea to do the carpets since I will be using the car for overlanding in the Icelandic highlands, which can be dirty business Smile Might go for acoustic rubber mats from exmoor trim instead or something. Do you have any experience with this?

Best regards, Heimir.
Post #944806 6th Mar 2022 3:42pm
kzycnn

Hi Heimir

You can fit two drawers or flippers side by side when the second row seats are fitted. On the right hand side, nearest the rear door, the fuel filler pipe impedes the depth and precludes the fitting of a drawer. So, on the right you could have one drawer and one flipper at the bottom whereas, on the left you could have two drawers. You're quite right in that this isn't mentioned on the MSS web site but if you note the dimensions, you'll see the flipper is 230 mm deep whereas the drawer is 300 mm deep. You mention fitting two drawers on the RHS - unless the other side is already utilised in your current layout, you could switch them round i.e. have the drawers on the left.

I have a standard store chest in the back which is the same height as the store drawer. I found that this fouled the front of the drawers when the lid was opened hence why I have 2 flippers side by side. This should not be an issue if you user the store drawer but serves to illustrate how tight the fit is! The original design was intended to go into a vehicle without carpets - they really are a snug fit!

As the drawer units are a very tight fit under the 'bulge', you'll have trouble fitting these on top of sound deadening mats - or any carpet with some acoustic material behind. If you fit the drawer, there is space below the drawer itself, but within the outer case, to install thicker mats - this is what I did. If you have a flipper at the bottom, this will only fit over thin carpet but there will be some space behind (under the bulge) to fit sound deadening mats. This is what I have done - i.e I have thin carpet over the top of the wheel box, then the MSS boxes and a piece of sound deadening material under the drawer. Note, I have NoiseKiller mats which are very thick.

Hope this helps.

Tony
Post #944922 7th Mar 2022 2:47pm
herbson

Hi Tony.

Many many thanks, this has been most helpful. For someone like me, who is on his first Defender, it really is invaluable to have a chance of discussions and feedback like this. Cheers, Heimir.
Post #944949 7th Mar 2022 6:08pm
kzycnn

Hi

Glad to help - that's what this forum is all about Very Happy

Good luck and enjoy your defender ownership Thumbs Up

Tony
Post #945034 8th Mar 2022 12:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1