↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > 200tdi EGT and Boost Pressure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
200tdi EGT and Boost Pressure
My 110 200tdi has had a few upgrades prior to my ownership. It has a recon engine, full width Allard intercooler and a reworked VNT Garret turbo, also from Alllard. Not sure if the pump has had any tweaks.

To help monitor these performance mods (I am assuming) it also has and EGT and Boost Pressure gauges. Now that is great as long as you know what you are looking at and the normal parameters so you can tell if anything is going awry.

Could anyone tell me what 'normal' may look like for EGT and boost please?

Thanks
Post #936447 5th Jan 2022 2:11pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
Try not to exceed 720°C for sustained periods and boost 1-1.25 bar maximum (0.7bar is the standard max).
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #936474 5th Jan 2022 5:13pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Thank you. Don't think it has been anywhere near that yet. I'll monitor it next time I am out.

It does feel slightly more gutless than I would have expected when it hits a slope. Makes me wonder if it all working efficiently. That said, it starts and runs and thus far has been very reliable and taken me to the lakes, across the country and back without issue so perhaps best leave well alone unless it breaks.
Post #936535 5th Jan 2022 9:59pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
I have been keeping an eye on it for a while, including during a trip to wales this weekend and the boost tops out at 0.6bar and the EGT rarely gets close to 400. Once I have repaired the mishaps from the weekend's outing I think I will look to do a little tuning.
Post #944910 7th Mar 2022 11:43am
donmacn

Mine is NOT a 200 - just getting that in there first. It’s a 300. On the other hand, they are from the same stable.

Like you, I have:
(Original) Engine reconditioned (with the gas-flowed head option offered by Turners);
Full Allard intercooler;
Turbo Technics VNT;

The difference might be that I had the pump tweaked, though having lived with it for a while now, I suspect it’s maybe a little over-fuelled.

I have also got one of the Donaldson/Wolf air filters - though still using the standard pipework, which is less than ideal.

I haven’t touched the turbo boost settings, but the max is near enough what Mo has posted, ca. 1.25.

EGT however… I have a ‘Madman’ gauge, which does EGT along with other stuff. It has an adjustable alarm, and I’ve set mine for 630’c. (Not a figure based on Turners recommendation, but they really favoured a more standard set of tune.).

If I was to be trundling through a 40mph limit, in 5th, get to the end, and accelerate away I would easily set off my EGT alarm. Trundling along twisty, uppy/downy B roads, and staying in 5th… will set off the alarm. This is not ‘balls to the wall’/pedal to the metal driving - just accelerating gently-ish in 5th. I know 630’ is really cautious, but I am looking for longevity out of all this work too.

This is why I reckon that for me, my pump might be a little over-fuelled. My understanding is that high EGTs is due to still-combusting fuel being ejected into the manifold. If I can’t get more air in there (closely watching IRBs plans for an improved 300 air inlet) then I think I’ll need to turn down the fuel delivery a little.

Before I fitted the VNT turbo, but with the tweaked pump, fuelling made a big difference.

Back to the start, I know this is not 200 related, but might be useful. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #944955 7th Mar 2022 5:32pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
I think in the relevant areas the 200 and 300 are close enough to mean that info is useful, thanks.

As it is set up right now the slightest whiff of a hill means it is slowing down. It is fine in 1st, 2nd and 3rd but 4th and 5th feel lacking. Definitely no accelerating from 40 in 5th for me Smile

I think I will attempt some injector pump tuning myself, there is plenty of info on it around.
Post #944957 7th Mar 2022 7:25pm
Mo Murphy

There are plenty of guides out there bodstruck, just make small adjustments one at a time until you get the performance you desire. A bigger intercooler will help keep EGTs down as well as making increases in boost more effective.
But other improvements will only be effective if the fuelling is increased to take advantage of the increased oxygen available.
HTH
Post #945031 8th Mar 2022 10:55am
Bps

United Kingdom 
If it feels lacking check the boost pipe to the Injection pump hasn’t split / rubbed through.
Post #945538 12th Mar 2022 2:12pm
donmacn

^^ that’s a good shout. I had to replace mine a while ago because it was worn through in two places.

The other thing I found on that occasion was that the diaphragm and the top of the fuel pump has a lot of oily grime in there which wouldn’t have been helping.

Surprising the things you forget you’ve done. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #945539 12th Mar 2022 2:21pm
Eppilihp

Switzerland 
Out of curiosity, where do you measure EGT on a 200 Tdi? I plan to install a sender in mine but I am a bit unsure where about.

cheers
Philippe
Post #958017 12th Jul 2022 1:40pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Sensor for mine is in the manifold.

As an aside, following some youtube guides I did a bit of tuning to the pump and also the wastegate control on the turbo. It was a bit smoky on full throttle but pulled really well up the hills. Dialed it back a bit and it runs much better than it did. Boost gets to a max of 0.8bar and EGT just over 400 so well within safe limits I think. Transformed the drive.

Still noisy as hell though Smile
Post #958032 12th Jul 2022 3:05pm
Eppilihp

Switzerland 
Would it be possible for you to upload a pic to show where exactly you installed the sensor?
Post #960801 6th Aug 2022 9:09am
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
I can do but it will have to wait a few weeks I am afraid, the car is with my Brother.
Post #960806 6th Aug 2022 9:39am
Mo Murphy

@Eppilihp

My probe is installed where the branches of the manifold meet below the turbo.

Click image to enlarge

I use a manual boost controller to manage boost as its much easier to adjust than lying on top of the engine trying to adjust nuts on the pushrod. It doesn't let boost through to open the wastegate until your preset boost is reached.
My maximum boost is set to 1.25 bar on the standard turbo but you very rarely get there unless you really try but I do go to 1 bar quite regularly on steep hills.

Click image to enlarge

HTH
Post #960811 6th Aug 2022 10:32am
Eppilihp

Switzerland 
Looks good, cheers!
Post #961688 15th Aug 2022 9:14am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>