↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Bad fuel??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
CDN38

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
Bad fuel??
Filled up this morning, drove about 250 yards then the engine started to act very unhappy. At first, it was like a misfire on one cylinder, running rough, loss of power. I pulled over, nothing unusual out the exhaust during a lumpy idle, or if I increased rpm. No dash warning lights. It just got rougher and rougher over about 15 seconds and stalled on it's own.(very reminiscent or running out of fuel) Didn't bother trying to start it again as obviously something is not right.

Fuel pump is only a couple years old, hasn't given me any issues.

This happened early in the morning, after 15 minutes of no issue driving. Engine was at temp, no problems. The filling station had a fuel delivery late the previous evening, I don't think that many (if any) had filled up since the delivery as I am in a quiet rural area.

Anyone had anything like this happen?

With the timing of it all, my first thought is bad fuel. The station attendant barley spoke english, so I'll have to check back with them later to see if there's been any others with the same issue.

Seems way too coincidental not to be. Tried searching forums but haven't found anything the forum similar.

Anyone?? it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40792.html
Post #944737 5th Mar 2022 9:03pm
cee-b

United Kingdom 
Not wishing to be rude, but is there any chance you mis-fuelled it?
Post #944741 5th Mar 2022 9:28pm
CDN38

Very valid question. It was the first thing that I checked. Both my receipt for the fuel and I went back and double checked the pump. 109% percent it was diesel. it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
Post #944746 5th Mar 2022 9:53pm
Penfold_6290

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
If there was water in the fuel you should have seen a warning on the dash, if there was Censored in the fuel it shouldn’t have got any further than the filter.

Have you siphoned some fuel out and had a good sniff? This would be my first action, make sure diesel smells like diesel.

After that, new fuel filter, do a thorough bleed (ignition on, depress accelerator pedal 5 times in quick succession, check engine light will flash and bleed mode is entered, cancel by switching off ignition).

If you get some cobalt chloride paper (from Amazon) you can check what has drained out of the fuel filter for water.
Post #944747 5th Mar 2022 9:54pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Or drain a bit of fuel from the filter ideally in a glass jar so you can do a visual.
Fuel filter should have a drain cock... can easily drain some especially if you switch on the ignition and pump is priming. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #944749 5th Mar 2022 10:21pm
CDN38

I had to leave out on the roadside this morning and get along to an appointment.

Filling station hasn't closed the pumps, so it's looking less likely that was the issue, but I'm still not ruling it out. Just coincidence that it happens so close after filling it, and having it run so well unto that point?

Went back this afternoon and turned it over, starts but idles super rough, no power. I'll need to get it towed and start trying to diagnose the issue. it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
Post #944757 6th Mar 2022 12:28am
CDN38

... heavy sigh....

Click image to enlarge
 it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
Post #944763 6th Mar 2022 2:24am
sharkey964

France 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I filled up with poor quality diesel last year whilst in Bosnia,Td5.It ran,though very underpowered,that night whist runnung the Eberspacher diesel heater,it kept cutting out & wouldn't run.
The next time I filled up I put premium diesel in,the diference was very noticable immediately.
Good luck.
Marc.
Post #944784 6th Mar 2022 11:19am
custom90

United Kingdom 
I’ve had it before with mine, using fuel from a place that I don’t normally that was cheaper.
Incidentally (on Puma) the VCV gave up not 6 months later too.

So likely water contamination, I know it was fuel as it was the next time after I got back and filled up.
In other words, I went out got the fuel did what I was doing that day and then went home.

Few days later, the next start up was not great, went to pull out drive and cut out. And various other times until I replaced the VCV some months later. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #944804 6th Mar 2022 3:00pm
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
That things go to Sh@t after filling happened to me twice.
Nicely driving on the highway and after a fuel stop low on power and barely reaching 70 km/hr.
That was the fuel pump.

About a year later: We were on holiday and fueled up after dinner. The next morning difficult starting and rough idling. Managed to get home but the next day it just died on me on the highway. I had difficulties starting it again and with several stops and giving the engine some rest eveytime I managed to get home again.
I thought about bad fuel and replaced the fuel filter, it looked like it made some difference but not really so I changed the injector seals and then it was back to normal again. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #944808 6th Mar 2022 4:25pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
you might have the same problem as i am having with my peugeot 306 HDI, The fuel pressure rig valve may have gone on the blink, that's if these engines have one of these.
The car is just spins, then fires over, idles rough, or ticks over but as soon as you pull away it starts to acting up, to the point the ECU shuts down the fuel system. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #945122 9th Mar 2022 7:04am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1