↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Chequer Plate quality and fitment?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mermoto

Chequer Plate quality and fitment?
OK guys I want to fit some black chequer plate sill guards and wing tops and would appreciate some advice please. Done lots of searching but companies don't show much detail of their products.

Is there much difference in the different suppliers quality?

I like the idea of the wing tops with a foam cushion being screwed with countersunk fasteners, any disadvantage other than time to fit?

Can sill guards be fitted without drilling? Any advantage to drilling own holes rather than pre drilled? Do sill guards have a foam cushion?

Can you recommend a particular brand/supplier? Links?

Thanks in advance Smile

Mermoto

Dender 90 XS Puma
Post #94061 13th Oct 2011 6:44pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Mammouth! Speak to Sally or Stef, they can also supply gaskets that other suppliers seem to find hard to source.

Yes
No
No (mine do)
Yes

http://www.mammouth4x4.co.uk/

Click image to enlarge
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #94064 13th Oct 2011 7:01pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I've always used genuine parts items - only tend to fit wingtop protectors )for tools, coffee mugs, beer bottles and feet) but they always seem to fit well.

I've heard good reports of Mammouth's stuff although some people reckon the Puma bonnet kit doesn't always fit flush. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #94106 13th Oct 2011 9:29pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Odin

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Don't waste time looking at anything other than Mammouth's gear.

The foam gaskets make the fitting easier and better (fit them to the underside of the CP, not to the vehicle).

Drill holes and bolt them on - I hate to think of one of these coming loose at any speed.

Pain in the ass job and the bonnet CP is not a great fit (hence the gasket) and search on here for tips. Im very happy with the wing tops and bonnet cp Note that Mammouth are the OEM.

Contact Greeni at Staffordshire 4x4 - site sponsor.
Post #94110 13th Oct 2011 9:59pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Odin wrote:

Pain in the ass job and the bonnet CP is not a great fit (hence the gasket) and search on here for tips. Im very happy with the wing tops and bonnet cp Note that Mammouth are the OEM.

Really?

Have a look HERE

Wing top gaskets are available.

Personally I do not like or see need for chequer plate sill guards a Rock and Tree slider is much better. Chequer plate should be kept to a minimum, i.e. wing tops and bonnet

Brendan
Post #94116 13th Oct 2011 10:21pm
KPNuts

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Alpine White
+1 in support of the Mammouth ones in conjunction with the gaskets for wing tops. The slim rear corners also look good on a 110 in conjunction with tree sliders (all black).

Keith 2010 110 Utility Station Wagon
1996 110 Station Wagon
Post #94170 14th Oct 2011 9:17am
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
The Genuine Parts wingtops all come with rivnuts and good quality gaskets as standard. Always fit gaskets or sealant otherwise all sorts of crap collects behind them.

When I bought my old 300tdi 90 whoever had fitted the wingtops had just bodged them on with rivets and no seal and dirt and grit came out from underneath whenever you washed it. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #94187 14th Oct 2011 9:58am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Odin

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Apologies Mermoto if I'm crediting Mammouth unfairly and thanks Brendan for the correction. However I am very happy with the Mammouth products which have made the Defemder a better working vehicle. They're robust enough to withstand heavy use and better with the gaskets. Bonnet CP is not cheap but it reduces the risk of damage.
Post #94300 14th Oct 2011 10:25pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
In mitigation I too was 'informed' that Mammouth make the OEM stuff too. I agree with Odin though the quality is exactly the same as OEM. Maybe they use the same fabricators....even the laser edge chamfering is the same! Nevertheless my OEM wingtops, rear corners and sills were fitted supposedly at 'no profit' to the Dealers as they messed up the quote at £500 (this was some considerable time ago), in hindsight I would have purchased myself and fitted and saved a packet for the same quality materials and better workmanship to boot! If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #94356 15th Oct 2011 1:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1