↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > BF Goodrich Ko2 - 235/85/16
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
SJM2018

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Aintree Green
BF Goodrich Ko2 - 235/85/16
Fitted the above tyre a few weeks ago, replacing a set of more road biased Cooper Discover 4s in 265/75.

I was initially put off by a few people commenting on poor performance on damp / greasy roads, but I’m really impressed so far.

Anyway, point of this post, I’ve noticed that braking performance is far better than the coopers in all conditions (so far). They feel like they’re really digging into the road surface; hard to describe the sensation, but almost like they’re squishing down.

Someone pulled out in front of me yesterday, it was cold, drizzly and the road surface was greasy. With the coopers I’m convinced I would have gone into the back of them, but the Ko2s managed to stop me with a couple of feet to spare.

I don’t know whether the 235 are a better size for a 90, or whether the ko2 have a softer compound, but glad I switched a few weeks ago!! 2011 CSW XS 90
Post #934353 20th Dec 2021 9:58am
Mitch16

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Thank you for the post. That is great to hear, I am due to change tyres soon and have been put of the KO2 due to the wet weather scare stories. Pleased that you are finding them ok.
Post #934472 20th Dec 2021 9:37pm
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
Interesting, obviously everyone's personal experience (& perception) differs and in the past I have expressed my disappointment of the wet weather grip of KOs compared with my replacements. But my KOs were 265's and I changed to 235 Cooper ATs so they are not strictly a like-for-like comparison at the time.
So I'm now wondering if some of the difference comes down to choice of width?

A narrower tyre exerts a higher pressure which is often better for digging through surface mud and in some snow/icy conditions, and less susceptible to tram-lining on poor roads so I believe 235 is the sweet spot for my use.
And obviously narrow also fairs better at resisting aquaplaning, but that wasn't really my issue with the 265 KOs, just their willingness to lock-up and slide on wet tarmac, even when new.
I'd be willing to look again at KO2s when the times comes, but in 235. Particularly as the newer version now has the snow symbol and I think has improved from a C wet rating to a B.
Post #934514 21st Dec 2021 10:57am
steve E

Wales 
I’ve had mine just over a year and think it’s a great tyre.
Post #934516 21st Dec 2021 11:10am
Bundy

United Kingdom 
I run 265 KO2's and love them.
They have yet to let me down off road...but not had any deep mud episodes yet...
On tarmac they grip really well and I have no issues with letting go or locking up in the wet.
On the one recent occasion I had to hit the brakes to spare a pheasant I was surprised how quick it stopped in a full lock up (I was in the middle of nowhere Wink ).
They do seem louder than they were, but having swapped lots of things the Landy is quieter than it was, so put it down to that rather than the tyres.
Hopefully not just given them the kiss of death and find a hedge now Laughing
Cheers
Al
Post #934518 21st Dec 2021 11:16am
SJM2018

I've now done about 1,000 miles on them and still really impressed.

There are a couple of spots near me, where I would sometimes see the traction control light up / feel the wheels spin if I gave it the beans with the Coopers and the KO2s are yet to break traction (even though I'm now deliberately trying to get it to go Laughing ).

Still not been out in the snow or encountered any really deep/sloppy mud, but in icy conditions and on a couple of rough slippery tracks back home, they've performed really well.

Had some apocalyptic rain while on the M25 between Christmas and New Year, with some standing water, and at ~55/60 they never felt close to aquaplaning.

They only thing that bothers me about them is that I still think on boosts the 265s look much better. I think the 235's my suit wolf style wheels better. 2011 CSW XS 90
Post #937321 12th Jan 2022 9:41am
camelman

United Kingdom 
I think they are a great tyre for the road and in snow and ice.

Not so good in mud however.

I drove into a wet field with the 130 at the weekend to recover a stuck pickup truck and trailer.

I was struggling to manoeuvre due to a slight incline before I even hooked him up.
Just sat with all wheels spinning when I tried to recover him.

In the end, I pulled him out with the Mog.

If I'd had more time, I would have had a go with the 110 with KM3s on to see how they faired.
Next time maybe Smile 
Post #937324 12th Jan 2022 9:56am
Mitch16

I still cant decide and needed to share with you good folks.

I know not everyone’s taste but I really like white lettering so my choices are Ko2 or General Grabber AT3 (I think). I have to also be honest and say looks are important to me (not mine but the tyres!!)

Trouble is the original Continentals that are still going are so good for what I need and have done 10 trouble free years. Grip is great in all conditions, road, tracks, mud, rain etc.

I was so close to ordering the Ko2 this week and then had another pause. When I look at most of the tuning companies they seem to fit Ko2 so they must be good…..?
Post #938798 22nd Jan 2022 9:32am
kenzle8a

Having had both KO2's and GG AT3's I really can't tell the difference between them. I've had both for in all four seasons, snow, ice, rain, summer, and trundling about the farm.

My setup is stock ish, mostly as its used on the farm but it tows so its standard springs with Bilstein dampers and Super Pro bushes in the axles.

I had the GG in 235/85/16 on Modulars - weight of combo 34kg per corner

I have the Ko2 in 265/75/16 on Wolf Replicas - weight of combo 36kg per corner

Out of the box the GG was better than the KO2 in the wet, although now I've put some miles on them (circa 4k) the KO2 are just as good IMO.

For the 1st say 1-2k the KO2's were a lot noisier than the the Grabblers, although this has subsided a lot now and theres no real difference.
Post #938801 22nd Jan 2022 9:47am
Mitch16

Hello OP,

How are you getting on with the KO2, are you still pleased?
Post #942969 18th Feb 2022 2:52pm
SJM2018

Still really pleased with them.

I drove across a really water logged field the other day and almost got stuck; but that’s what you get for not paying attention!! Had to lock the central diff (don’t use often, so had a hard time getting it out of lock) to escape.

I think the limitation with them is mud. If they can dig down to solid ground, then they’re fine. But on sloppy clay water logged grass they really struggled.

Edit: I’m also thinking of getting some wheel spacers to improve the stance. On the standard boosts, they look a bit odd being so far from the arches. 2011 CSW XS 90
Post #943136 20th Feb 2022 10:03am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It's better practice to lock the diff before entering the field.

Lock the diff whenever in the old days you'd have depressed the yellow knob.
Post #943144 20th Feb 2022 11:11am
camelman

United Kingdom 
I was out yesterday in the 110 in the snow with its Km3s on. The difference in the snow compared to the KO2s is noticeable with the KO2 being more capable. 
Post #943148 20th Feb 2022 11:29am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
KM3s (or indeed any KM) are definitely not the best in snow, unless there is mud underneath the snow of course.

If a period of snow is forecast (which is incredibly rare this far south, unfortunately) my 255/85 KM3s come off and a set of 7.50 XZLs go on. The XZLs are not by any means snow tyres but are significantly better than the KMs, and the smaller size allows the use of tyre chains (although I have chains for the larger tyres their use would undoubtedly remove the wheel-arch flares).
Post #943255 21st Feb 2022 10:08am
camelman

United Kingdom 
I've kept a set of KO2s for winter use. However, there has been no real snow to speak of this winter so havent bothered swapping them over.

Saturdays snow was a bit of a flash in the pan 
Post #943258 21st Feb 2022 10:20am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1