↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > Heated Seats in a Tdi
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Heated Seats in a Tdi
Now that the weather is colder and a lifetime of hard work means I can feel my bones grinding against each other at the ripe old age of not yet 30, I feel the need for some creature comfort.

The Standard Tdi Heater is not too bad once you get it all sealed up and adjusted properly however it does still take some considerable time to warm up even with a webasto pre-heater. Plus on days where I'm checking Pheasant feeders I'm in and out the cab all the time so it gets rather chilly quickly.

So I'm thinking of biting the bullet and fitting some seat warmers Embarassed

I'm leaning towards the Exmoor trim re-foam and heated seat kit to refresh the seats as they look good and value for money, however I have nothing to plug them into.

Is there a Tdi kit available and if so has anyone done one?

How difficult is it and will it be a problem with drawing too much from the battery?

As always all advice is welcomed Thumbs Up Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #876386 5th Jan 2021 12:09pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
I put new foams and covers on my 200tdi seats and installed heated pads at the same time. I used exmoor trim covers but ordered through Bearmach. Exmoor were 6 weeks lead time (but didn't tell me that when I ordered, cancelled that order) and Bearmach were in stock.

I used a generic heated seat kit from ebay that came with 4 pads and wiring including relays, fuse and switches. I installed the switches in the cubby box by the cup holders. Fused feed came straight from the battery.

Can't attest to the longevity of the heated kit but it worked really well. Was an easy job.
Post #876388 5th Jan 2021 12:42pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #876389 5th Jan 2021 12:44pm
shaggydog

Thats a good shout!

Pads look good too some of them look tiny.
I fear I have been spoilt by the heated seats you get in a truck. 24V with 3 settings is looovely to return to at 3am in the freezing rain.

Thinking about it the seat covers aren't in too bad a condition, its the foams that worry me. Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #876393 5th Jan 2021 1:48pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Heated seats kit was less than £25. Fits well and has two heat settings. Gets warm quickly.

Click image to enlarge

If you are replacing the foam you may as well do the whole thing IMO. £80 for foam only or £105 for complete kit. Could do the whole lot for £230 Thumbs Up
Post #876404 5th Jan 2021 2:58pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
I bought the Waeco heated seat kit. After half an hour I have to turn them off, I feel like people may start to think I'm selling bacon sandwiches.
Post #876425 5th Jan 2021 4:23pm
shaggydog

bodstruck:That sounds brilliant where did you find that kit?

The Exmoor ones are basically the same price as a whole seat kit Shocked

GREENI: They sound like they do the job! Its just to aid in the first 20 or so miles to work while the truck warms up for the remaining 30ish Rolling Eyes Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #876428 5th Jan 2021 4:49pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Heated kit was this one but they have increased in price for some reason:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Pads-Carbon-F...2749.l2649

Seat trim kits: https://bearmach.com/seat-trim-kit-denim-ba-2401dtr
Post #876436 5th Jan 2021 5:12pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
I’ve got heated seats in my 90 though I’ve never actually wired them in. It’s up to temperature within 3 or 4 miles of driving and the heater produces plenty of heat, so I have never seen the need.

However the last few days I’ve been using the heated seats in the 110 and have to admit it is nice, so I think I’ll be digging out that wiring kit for the 90 Cool
Post #876530 5th Jan 2021 10:55pm
shaggydog

Retro - This is exactly the problem, while my 110 has had some issues I have been using the ranger and its heated seats first thing in the morning really have made it a very nice environment to be in. Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #876577 6th Jan 2021 9:46am
shaggydog

Update!
Well for my birthday I was very generously gifted an exmoor trim set from my girlfriend.

Ideally I'd like the switches on the front ether side of the clock as I think that will look best.

I have a centre seat so can't put it in the cubby.

How have other Tdi owners installed the wiring?

I'm famously bad at it so any pictures or if you have a good write up on how you did it id be very grateful to see it.

I do have an Aux fusebox fitted in the battery box but its not ignition switched. I would like to add this to one side in the future however thats another project I feel.

Also which spray glue d=is best to use, strangely Exmoor don't seem to show or recommend any Confused Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #941798 9th Feb 2022 4:00pm
300TDi CSW Phil

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
Don't wish to be a party pooper here, but, I fitted my exmoor trim heated seats several years ago (it's documented on here somewhere) and the switches have packed up over the last couple of winters getting more and more fiddly to lock into their respective on positions.
Thankfully I have the Mud cup and switch insert in the cubby box and they were in carling blanks so I have been able to swap them out easily for Carling switches which seem much more reliable (I have others in the Mud Console that have been going strong for longer than the exmoor trim switches and probably used more often). 1995 300 Tdi Epsom Green - It's a keeper.
Wide Track Sankey- In bits- Gone to a new home
M0XQS
Post #941811 9th Feb 2022 4:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1