↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > From Puma 90 to 110 Double Cab DCPU
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
cold

From Puma 90 to 110 Double Cab DCPU
So I have swopped my 90 (2.4 2009) for a DCPU - (2.2 2012 )

Click image to enlarge

Bought it just before Christmas but we moved house just after so not had a chance to do much - so with little time I had to make sure I was careful about what I prioritised - it had a leaking transfer box, non working sidelight and a few other things …so obviously the first thing I did (before Christmas) was fit new speakers, Focal sub and had a BAS Remap Laughing - the Ashcroft Box with a 1.1 ratio and a LOF MT82 shaft were fitted last week (drives really well) and I fitted a Startech Steering Wheel, leather cowl, grab and Optimill QR yesterday.

I have also fitted some Noico sound deadening (butyl and 8mm foam) - mainly to the rear - but it is still noisy and that is my immediate challenge, I think I have an unusual amount of road noise coming from the rear (commented on by nearly everyone , including my Indy and Pete at BAS) but I have checked the window, door seals, floor and insulated most of the rear and roof - it has been suggested that it is my Cooper STT Pro’s but that is a costly change if it doesnt work as most people on this forum say they are not that noisy ( my 90 had BFG AT2)

So if any fellow DCPU owners can offer advise/insight as to why my 110 DCPU is far noisier than my 90 then it would be appreciated.
Post #941186 5th Feb 2022 10:00pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Excellent prioritisation skills! Cracking looking landy. Where about in Yorkshire are you?

Talk to me more about the 1:1 transfer box. Any downsides, how different is the driving experience compared to standard?
Post #941206 6th Feb 2022 8:54am
jpboost

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Nice looking example 🙂

Easiest way to rule out the tyres is to find someone local to lend them your wheels for half an hour.

I'm miles away, but there must be someone Yorkshire based with a couple of spare wheels with tyres in the garage.

I've got some standard steels with Michelin on that you could use, but I doubt you'd want to drive all the way here to use them!
Post #941209 6th Feb 2022 9:37am
Cwe1941

United Kingdom 
I have Cooper STT Pro on my 90 - I moved them from a 110 utility due to the noise - I foind them unbearably noisy....

I have replaced on the Utility with Continental Cross Contact which are much quieter but look a bit crap.

I also have a 110 CSW and recently put it on Cooper Discoverer AT3 and would highly recommend. Done wonders to the ride and again quiet Vs the stt pro.[/b]
Post #941210 6th Feb 2022 9:39am
kenzle8a

I think I dropped about 10db when I took the muds off my double cab and went to AT's. Sadly my wife says she can now hear me talking again...
Post #941212 6th Feb 2022 9:55am
cold

Thanks everyone - so there is a suggestion that that the Coopers could be partic. noisy - the LED headlights steamed up yesterday so they need sorted ahead of wheels

Co1 -I am just outside Harrogate towards Ripon - so the 1.1 ratio is interesting - first off driveability has improved - not stupidly but you can actually use first and on motorways you pretty much leave it in 5th (outside lane) with the remap and revised gearing coping very well with inclines changing speed etc - you and still use 6th but less flexibility to keep up with traffic without the odd change down - where it is interesting (and may help others) is that with the original BAS remap it stuttered in fourth - initial thoughts were the new mechanics but long story (this will not be the most technically correct explanation but you will get the idea) turns out that the ratio change confused my ECU as it uses speed as part of its calculation to determine which of the six ‘maps’ to utilise at any moment in time and the ratio change meant that the speed wasnt in line with ECU expectations - so in fourth it flip flopped between two maps with different initial torque settings (about 90Nm) causing the stutter sensation on load - so a quick unplanned trip to BAS had Peter on the case who was immense and after a quick test drive he identified the root cause where he had seen once before with an auto box that had the same symptoms again due to information being fed to the ECU. The solution for that was to make all the maps the same regardless of gear /speed etc so if it flip flopped it didn’t matter - one new remap later and it was solved and it drives really well -thanks again Pete- great service and expertise👍
Post #941248 6th Feb 2022 2:16pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Nice one. I’m not a million miles away from you in easingwold. Very interesting about 4th gear, but Pete is a top bloke isn’t he. Have you noticed any mpg benefit from the re-gearing on the transfer box?
Post #941262 6th Feb 2022 4:15pm
cold

My gut feel is mpg has improved but unfortunately nothing scientific to back that up
Post #941268 6th Feb 2022 4:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1