↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > So I upgraded lights to Angel eyes drls / Eurospec AFS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mark1107

United States 
So I upgraded lights to Angel eyes drls / Eurospec AFS

I had to buy the upgraded lights on ebay. Then my dealership had to code the lights to work with my lower grade spec. I found two lights for 300 each. The additional Eurospec ballasts were 150 each.

The difference between the USA NA high spec lights versus the Eurospec Adaptive AFS lights is pretty cool. I bought the Eurospec ballasts and I will need to swap them out and have them recoded again at the dealership but it would be pretty cool to have the only USA spec with cool Adaptive AFS headlights.

so I was browsing eBay and saw Partecha the headlights manufacturer selling headlights on eBay Slovakia and I bought two of them. What happened is I went to plug them in and only one would work. Partecha had sold me one USA NA spec ballast and one Eurospec ballast so I researched and found 1 more ballast of each. My dealership buddy got frustrated after spending hours trying to program them before we realized we had mis-matched ballasts!

so to answer your question the Eurospec AFS headlights are brighter and do really cool things. The headlight box minus the ballast is the same but the ballast make the cool stuff in the video link happen. I just have to swap out the ballast and go back in for a couple of hours of programming.

after the ordeal of no headlights, then one headlight then mismatched ballasts then troubleshooting the ordering two more ballasts one for USA and one more Eurospec AFS Im going to wait a little while before I upgrade.

I just didn’t like the standard low spec headlights that came from the factory, it has the boring non Angel eye drl that I absolutely love on most defenders and had to have that!

check out the video it explains everything. If you have the upgraded USA NA spec headlights with Angel eyes drls you can find the Eurospec AFS ballasts on eBay worldwide for anywhere from 100-200 usd dollars each. Then find a cool dealership who will help you program them. If you have a winch it’s a bit more work, but without the winch it’s easier to install by taking the whole headlight out. Don’t mess with the air box behind the headlights it’s very sensitive to fit and has weird rubber rings that get out of alignment on the driver’s side headlight. Pull the whole headlight from the front to get drivers side out, leave the air box alone. Passenger side is easy to swap the ballast with headlights kept in the car.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 2022 Defender Trek Competition 110 collectors edition!
2020 Defender 110 P400 Full Explorer Pack 7 Seater HSE Fuji White(sold)
2020 SVO Range Rover L405 Full Size Spectral Blue Chromaflair
2014 Range Rover L405 Autobiography Full Size Aintree Green
2014 Dodge Viper GTS Stryker Green
Post #941126 5th Feb 2022 4:37pm
mmbanf

Italy 
hello, good morning,

your topic is very interesting, I have a 90 with basic led headlights. I would like to upgrade with those matrix headlights. I have seen on ebay from the seller very low prices for both premium headlights and matrix headlights.
are you saying that the part of the lighthouse is the same for both of us? Does only the ballast control unit change?
I searched on the internet to understand which code has the appropriate control unit of the premium headlights and matrix headlights, but I have not found anything ....
you can help me?
I am aware that I will then have to program the headlights.

thank you very much

Marco
Post #969276 29th Oct 2022 12:42pm
jomara

Scotland 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Hi Marco

Our XS was delivered without the Matrix LED lights and we have been looking at adding them, the light units you see cheaply on ebay are normally sold without ballasts needed to control them. I have attached an image showing the part numbers and a link to the first of the Powerful UK YouTube videos where they upgrade the headlights on their 110 from basic LED to Matrix:

Click image to enlarge
 2014 110 2.2TDCi XS Station wagon
1971 Bowler Tomcat 88 4.2 V8 Auto
2022 110 250D XS
Post #969279 29th Oct 2022 1:56pm
mmbanf

Italy 
ave seen the videos of PF,
my problem is that I would have found the matrix replacement headlights at a good price, but they are without ballast,
I would like to understand what number the matrix ballast headlights have, on the PF table there are only the numbers of the complete headlights.
I have seen for example, the ballasts of the basic led headlights have a smaller number of pins on the connector.

Marco
Post #969282 29th Oct 2022 2:10pm
mmbanf

Italy 
I'm still thinking about whether it's possible to install headlights with angel eyes on a car with basic headlights. I understand from PF's videos that it's definitely possible with some factory new headlights and some programming. has anyone installed a used headlight on a defender? each control unit is associated with a chassis number, will it be possible to bypass this criticality?
please is there any user who has experience of replacing headlights?
thank you all for your cooperation.
sorry for the translator...... Thumbs Up

Marco
Post #972048 22nd Nov 2022 6:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1