↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Orders 2022MY (L663) > Old lease expired, new car delayed?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
XplusYplusZ

Old lease expired, new car delayed?
What do you guys do to bridge the gap between old car and delayed new vehicle delivery?

I have a company car lease which expires in August.
Mid Nov 2021 I ordered my 110 D250 x-dynamic to replace it (quoted as a '6 month' wait time).

I don't really have a plan yet in case I hand back my old car and the Defender is delayed for multiple months..

Anyone in a similar position, old lease expired, new car delayed? (I assume many will own their old car and can just wait it out until jumping into a new one).

Buy, short term lease, subscription?
Post #940491 1st Feb 2022 11:03am
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
Get a formal extension on your current vehicle. Make sure you don’t go into informal extension as the leasing co won’t reduce your monthly rental but may even reduce what you get for it I.E. you might not get any agreed maintenance cover Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #940492 1st Feb 2022 11:12am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
When I worked as an account manager a few years back I an a similar thing as there was a delay on the Audi I had ordered.

The Lease company would not let me keep the current car so the company had to get me a hire car to fill the gap.

Guess it was cheaper to do that than pay the mileage charges as I was doing between 500 and 1,200 miles a week.

Guess you need to read the small print and phone the current lease company to see what they can offer.
Post #940493 1st Feb 2022 11:14am
Leamreject

Used cars are fetching a premium (and more) at the moment so leasing companies are reaping the benefits on returned stock. We are disposing of circa 400 vehicles a month currently and returning great values that have never been experienced before. A formal extension allows Leasing Companies to realign the contract to reflect today’s market, and 99% of cases will reduce your rental with no change of entitlement.

If you are a valued customer they will do what they can as your future business when things settle down will be a major consideration.

The vehicle world is changing, manufacturers have had a great opportunity to re-asses the market and most no longer offer leasing companies discounts. Whether this will continue or for how long for is unknown. All depends on sorting out global supply.

Car manufacturers in the Far East are not suffering supply issues like we are in Europe but have import constraints stopping them from make the most of these problems and flooding our market. Ride like you stole it!!
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #940495 1st Feb 2022 11:29am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SteveG

2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
Quote:
Car manufacturers in the Far East are not suffering supply issues like we are in Europe but have import constraints stopping them from make the most of these problems and flooding our market.

I think you need to fact check that last statement by reading the financial updates/results of all the major manufacturers in APAC.
Post #940503 1st Feb 2022 12:29pm
Farmerben

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Leamreject wrote:

Car manufacturers in the Far East are not suffering supply issues like we are in Europe but have import constraints stopping them from make the most of these problems and flooding our market.

Our Hyundai Ioniq 5 should have been delivered at the end of November. Then got pushed to January, then February, now March. Have had to chase every time. The Ioniq forum is full of disgruntled customers who keep getting told different stories by dealers. Makes JLR CS look five star in comparison. https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #940511 1st Feb 2022 12:43pm
Leamreject

The Asian Pacific market doesn’t have the same semi conductor issue that we have in Europe, so they are simply picking up opportunities where they can but shorter delays are inevitable because they have import restrictions. If you want a European made vehicle this year you may struggle. Apparently some European manufacturers have closed their order books for this year.

If Asian manufactures weren’t faced with import restrictions their delays would be much less as they would simply react to the opportunity.

Chinese owned MG vehicles built in the UK are doing well.

SteveG what part of what I have said are you asking be fact checked? Ride like you stole it!!
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #940514 1st Feb 2022 1:11pm
Leeds Utd

Germany 
Re: Old lease expired, new car delayed?
XplusYplusZ wrote:
What do you guys do to bridge the gap between old car and delayed new vehicle delivery?

Mid Nov 2021 I ordered my 110 D250 x-dynamic to replace it (quoted as a '6 month' wait time).

I don't really have a plan yet in case I hand back my old car and the Defender is delayed for multiple months..

Anyone in a similar position, old lease expired, new car delayed? (I assume many will own their old car and can just wait it out until jumping into a new one).

This happened to my wife last year when her Merc was a year late, she used Volvo Subscription and got an xc60 at a really good rate, everything included except fuel and only had to give 3 months notice to give back, and this she planned once her new vehicle was ready.

Mark
Post #940528 1st Feb 2022 2:52pm
Jmaz

Re: Old lease expired, new car delayed?
XplusYplusZ wrote:

Hi, have you received an order number or a delivery slot for your car that you ordered in Nov 21 yet?
Post #940716 2nd Feb 2022 9:17pm
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
A friend of mine has just been caught in a similar situation with his VW T6 Crewvan.

Took it on lease 24 months ago, was told he would be swapping after a year, year came and they were unable to replace the van so offered him to keep his one.

He got a phone call offering the same again, or the option to purchase the vehicle, or to take a new van.

Subsequently all three of these options have now been withdrawn or the goalposts moved.

- They are unable to supply a new van as they cannot get any
- They will not extend his lease, because they want to sell the van while the residual values are so high.
- The price for him to buy the van has now gone up by in excess of 10k from when they offered a few weeks ago, such is the demand for new, or nearly new vehicles- especially as his is a good spec crewvan which are few and far between anyway.

Its a very upside down market, we will likely be looking at another pickup at some point but will likely wait for the market to crash so we can get one at a reasonable price.

Chris
Post #940722 2nd Feb 2022 10:30pm
baladulga

I totally feel you on this one. Waiting for a new car can be frustrating, especially when you're stuck without a ride in the meantime. When I was in a similar situation, I had to figure out a temporary solution, to.
I ended up using A1 Auto Transport to ship my new car when it finally arrived. It was a bit of a hassle dealing with the delay, but A1 Auto Transport made the whole process smooth sailing. Their service was reliable, and my car arrived in great condition.
So, if you find yourself in a bind with your old lease expiring and your new car delayed, a car shipping company might be worth considering.
Post #1024571 13th Feb 2024 4:03am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1