↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Orders 2022MY (L663) > Front 3-Seat Option? Also production delay question...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Front 3-Seat Option? Also production delay question...
Has anyone heard that the front third-seat option is not currently available from Land Rover and ordering it will delay your vehicle?

I know there are various items that are delaying production but I'm a little confused as to how it works.

For instance, if you have a May build slot, will the dealer inform you, when your vehicle goes to build that an item is unavailable and you are then given the option to remove the item and go ahead with the current schedule (or keep it and wait)?

Or does Land Rover look at the cars scheduled to be built and just push the ones back that have items they don't currently have and work on the vehicles that have a spec where all the parts are in stock?

The reason I ask is that a local dealer has suggested that by adding the third seat option, the build slot will be delayed, so have removed it; however, as the car isn't to be produced for months, and hasn't had the options/spec finalised (locked down in the JLR system) it seems a strange way to approach it. They have said they will add it back in if it become available but surely people waiting for that spec will take priority over people who change their spec to add the option to an existing build?
Post #938863 22nd Jan 2022 5:09pm
J77

Scotland 
Yes I looked at ordering a hard top with the jump seat, but they can’t get the clearsight mirror and jump seat can’t be ordered without it. 23.5MY 90 D250 X-Dynamic SE, Pangea Green
Gone - 23MY 110 D250 XS Edition, Hakuba Silver
Gone - 21MY 90 D200 S, Tasman Blue, Fuji White roof.
Post #939045 23rd Jan 2022 5:24pm
walfy

The third front seat is a touchy subject. Because by default you get the clearview camera. And because of the chip shortage the camera is in short supply.

From my understanding, you place an order and you then get a vista printout of your spec. When your car is called forward from the pool to be built you get a timeline of critical dates, order date, last change date
spec clarification date, build date, shipping date, delivery to dealer date, delivery to client date.

My order passed the last change to spec date by me but not the spec confirmation date from LR, then 3 weeks before build date, the order was pulled and sent back to pool. Where it was then transferred over to a 23MY spec. But it's still sat in pool and I've had no contact from dealer to give any indication of when it will be called forward for build 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #939047 23rd Jan 2022 5:26pm
Zeplin000

I was given the option of continuing with my build without the jump seat and clearsight mirror, or wait… I decided to go ahead anyway, but I have previously had a defender with the clearsight and I think I’ll regret not having it. The car is regularly full and even when not the visibility is reduced due to rear tyre and dog cage. The clearsight is a great addition. I thought it was going to be a gimmick but we found it very useful and convenient. We also found It doesn’t need adjusting like a regular mirror if you have another driver that uses the car, so makes the whole driver swapping with memory seat automation more seamless.

Also disappointed not to have the 6th seat. Kids were looking forward to “driving” up front. No idea if or when they’ll become available again so we bit the bullet and went ahead with the order.
Post #939080 23rd Jan 2022 7:16pm
Mr Fox

Cheers chaps - that does seem to tally up with what I have been told. I wonder how long it will take JLR to resolve the supply chain issues. I would argue that the more customers who take a car outside their desired spec, rather than cancel it, the less reason JLR have to resolve the issue. Whilst demand outstrips supply, why rush to resolve a problem that inconveniences some customers? Or am I just being pessimistic Mr. Green
Post #939228 24th Jan 2022 3:14pm
Mr Fox

Zeplin000 wrote:
I was given the option of continuing with my build without the jump seat and clearsight mirror, or wait… I decided to go ahead anyway, but I have previously had a defender with the clearsight and I think I’ll regret not having it. The car is regularly full and even when not the visibility is reduced due to rear tyre and dog cage. The clearsight is a great addition. I thought it was going to be a gimmick but we found it very useful and convenient. We also found It doesn’t need adjusting like a regular mirror if you have another driver that uses the car, so makes the whole driver swapping with memory seat automation more seamless.

Also disappointed not to have the 6th seat. Kids were looking forward to “driving” up front. No idea if or when they’ll become available again so we bit the bullet and went ahead with the order.

I can understand how useful it would be. I guess the homologation means they are required to fit it with the third seat because, if not, the easy workaround is to fit any number of aftermarket solutions. There are plenty of standard mirrors, with half given over to a small LCD screen, that is linked to a camera fitted in the rear window. A friend with a working Defender has had one fitted for 5< years.
Post #939229 24th Jan 2022 3:17pm
Farmerben

Mr Fox wrote:
Cheers chaps - that does seem to tally up with what I have been told. I wonder how long it will take JLR to resolve the supply chain issues. I would argue that the more customers who take a car outside their desired spec, rather than cancel it, the less reason JLR have to resolve the issue. Whilst demand outstrips supply, why rush to resolve a problem that inconveniences some customers? Or am I just being pessimistic Mr. Green

I’m not sure they have a lot of power to resolve the issue and are, like many manufacturers of anything with a chip it, at the mercy of the semiconductor global supply chain.

We were due to take delivery of a Hyundai Ionia 5 in November. This got pushed back to January. Now the dealer has “no idea” when it’s coming. https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #939231 24th Jan 2022 4:21pm
Mr Fox

Ben, I do understand that; however, I also see some ‘selective’ commercial practices within the industries I work within professionally. Let’s just say supply chain issues, whilst present, are often used to justify price increases and other things that benefit the manufacturer and ancillary companies.
Post #939814 28th Jan 2022 8:26am
steven hamer

England 
Defender jump seat
I ordered a Defender 90 hard top with the jump seat in August 2021.
They cant give me a build date due to the rear camera not available.
Why cant land rover build the car with just the jump seat and the customer have a screen and camera fitted by themselves at a later date.

I have done this on my free lander the camera and screen was only £70.00 from ebay easy to fit and works great.

Steve
Post #952507 14th May 2022 3:29am
Rgk787

United Kingdom 
Just had the phone call. Arriving today, collect next week. Also they broke the news no jump seat on the car which really changes the practicality of the 90. What can you do though? I ordered September 21.
Post #956987 1st Jul 2022 3:49pm
soundslegal

United Kingdom 
I have persisted with the jump seat on my order (placed September 21), just respecced to MY23.5.

Quite a few of the 23.5 models actually have the clearsight mirror as *standard* (e.g. the HSE X dyn). I've upgrade from SE to HSE on the move to 23.5, as dealer reckoned if you aren't adding clear sight as an option, then the jump seat theoretically won't hold the order up.

We'll see if that holds true. However it works out I'll be waiting a while yet I expect. Have taken out a 3 year lease (cancel any time for a £500 charge) on a run around as I'm not holding out hope of it arriving soon...
Post #957024 1st Jul 2022 9:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1