↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Online pack and data plan
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Steve W

United Kingdom 
Online pack and data plan
Sorry if this has already been covered but can i ask what’s this actually for apart from annoying the hell out of me !

I’ve connected and have an InControl account set up but when I’m in the vehicle my phone says low data no internet connection.

I can’t see any number to contact and the dealer not the most helpful said ‘ this has little point other than allowing passengers to connect to the internet ‘ ……… what about the driver !

Any thoughts would be appreciated as I’m thinking its not worth a squirt and its due to expire in 5 months so wont be renewing unless I’m at fault here and it’s beneficial to access things !

Cheers to those cleverer than me Thumbs Up
Post #938709 21st Jan 2022 4:44pm
Farmerben

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Online pack and data plan is different to Wi-Fi pack and data plan.

The online pack allows for OTA updates, Spotify streaming from the Native Pivipro app, Ringo parking integration etc. It uses a SIM card built into the car. This comes with the car for an initial subscription period (2 or 3 years, can’t remember).

The Wi-Fi pack provides a Wi-Fi hotspot in the car for any Wi-Fi enabled devices. This is an optional extra.

Neither should have any impact on your phone data connection. https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #938892 22nd Jan 2022 8:48pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
"Neither should have any impact on your phone data connection."

I would guess the phone is seeing a wi-fi network and trying to use it for "internet" but there is not actually "internet" available, just very specific bits of connectivity for, as you say, spotify, OTA updates, etc.
Post #938893 22nd Jan 2022 8:54pm
Farmerben

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
That wouldn’t happen. For the phone to try to use a hotspot for data it would first have to be authorised with a wireless access key through the phone settings. With the data pack there is no Wi-Fi hotspot to connect to. The car’s infotainment does not use Wi-Fi, it uses the “wired” data connection from the built in sim. The in built sim on my disco is notoriously poor. But again, this in no way connects to the phone.

If it is the Wi-Fi pack then if the phone was connected to the Wi-Fi hotspot, this would show on the phone, even if the built in sim had no reception. If the phone itself is showing a poor network connection, the only way in which the vehicle could be affecting it is though interfering with the mobile data signal getting into the car. https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #938894 22nd Jan 2022 9:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1