Home > In Car Electronics > Dash cam burnt out
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Richard039

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Dash cam burnt out
Hi
Can anyone help, I put a dash cam in my 2013 defender but after 5 minutes I got a burning smell and it packed up. Got it replaced and the same thing happened.
Has anyone else had the same problem and can anyone recommend a dash cam that they have used?
Thanks
Post #937438 13th Jan 2022 12:06am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
For a well priced basic Dashcam, I would recommend the Viofo A119S. We have had one for several years with no problems. It’s very compact with a neat small mount, good video quality. Crucially, it uses a capacitor instead of a lithium battery which is better suited to long life in a car interior. The only negative is the menus are a bit tricky to navigatess the buttons are not very logical. Viofo, have good customer support as I had cause to contact them about how to do a firmware update and they were very helpful.

We are getting a 2nd car and I have a more expensive Nextbase camera for it, but it is a lot bulkier than the Viofo and has a load of features I’ll never use. The video quality is reported to be excellent though, so I’m looking forward to trying it. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #937464 13th Jan 2022 9:06am
I Like Old Skool

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi ST Coniston Green
How have you wired this in? I think most dash cams are USB powered so require 5.2V supplied from a 12V power socket adaptor. If you have somehow spliced the USB power supply lead directly into the car electrics then the dash cam will be gently frying in around 13-14 Volts which would explain why two have died so quickly!
Post #937471 13th Jan 2022 9:41am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1