↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Got stuck - tyre suggestions?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dizeeduckie

United Kingdom 
Got stuck - tyre suggestions?
Just managed to get stuck in some mud. After lots of shoving branches and stuff under the wheels, finally got out. The road tyres are useless and it seems silly to have such a capable car that is then handicapped by road tyres.

Any advice on some decent all-terrain tyres for 18" wheels?

And is the extra noise and lower fuel economy that noticeable?
Post #936010 2nd Jan 2022 4:11pm
J77

Scotland 
I took mine with the factory fit Goodyear Adventure option, I haven’t used the car in anger but it’s crossed mud and wet grass without issue.

Click image to enlarge
 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #936017 2nd Jan 2022 4:44pm
dizeeduckie

United Kingdom 
Ok, that’s good to know. I just have the factory fitted road tyres. Although…. bit odd they’re emblazoned with Wrangler!
Post #936041 2nd Jan 2022 7:08pm
J77

Scotland 
Yes there’s Wrangler and Wrangler Adventure. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #936043 2nd Jan 2022 7:20pm
Tim in Scotland

I’ve been running on Goodyear Duratracs for nearly 12000 mikes now. Used them on and off road as an All Terrain. I’ve had on sidewall slash off-road and that is the only problem I’ve had with then. I find that they run very quietly on road and I haven’t noticed any increased fuel consumption. The tyres approved by LR have an LR icon moulded into them and they lack the Kevlar stiffening/strengthening of the sidewall that the non LR marked tyres have and if you look through the posts on the All New Defenders OffRoad group on FB there are lots of similar slashing in off road situations with these tyres. For the off-roading/on road compromise I’m happy with their performance and so far in 12000 miles there’s been no noticeable wear on them. They are the LR approved more aggressive offroad tyre that you are supposed to be able to spec when ordering the car. I’ve had no issues running them on streaming wet roads like one or two people have reported, also bear in mind that the Duratracs are really really hard to find with an H speed rating in the UK, most tyre fitters supply the Q rated version good up to 99mph.

Quite a few people have been running on other makes of AT like BFG AT KO2’s but I’ve read reports of increased consumption and higher on road noise from them.

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #936064 2nd Jan 2022 10:03pm
J77

Scotland 

Click image to enlarge

This is the tyre I got the side wall punctured 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #936168 3rd Jan 2022 8:30pm
zilch

Australia 
I have fitted Falken Wildpeak AT3W in 18”, seems the new tyre of choice for many in Oz.
No real discernible noise over the OEM AT adventures at highway speeds, LT construction
means they are pretty tough for off road use..

Click image to enlarge
 yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #936225 4th Jan 2022 5:48am
NiallMeehan

Ireland 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Alaska White
I ventured into a wet field this week, the BFG's AT's struggled, the vehicle just about getting to where I needed (traction control/rear locking diff). Following behind was my old 130 pick up sporting a set of BFG 285 MT's, the vehicle walked into the field, did what it had to do and drove straight back out. 130 TDCI High Capacity Pick up
D250 SE HT 110
Hybrid LWT on RR chassis, 3.5 v8
Post #936875 8th Jan 2022 9:03pm
dizeeduckie

United Kingdom 
I've had the Goodyear All Terrain Adventures fitted.

The ride quality is noticeably more firm and very jiggly compared to my old tyres which were like driving on glass.

No additional noise though.

At least I shouldn't be getting stuck anytime soon!
Post #937019 10th Jan 2022 8:22am
JayZTampa

United States 
Standard tires are for the mall crawlers...sadly, many owners will never go off road (at least to any significant degree). I have the Wrangler Adventures (off-road standard). Haven't been off-road yet (only had 2 weeks and not much opportunity here in Tampa...but I hear good reviews. That being said, if you have the 18" wheels...there are a lot of great options. TAKO2 stands out as one people like a lot.
Post #937250 11th Jan 2022 8:26pm
GreenMonster

United States 
Some confusion in a few of these posts. Anything with Wrangler on the tire is not the road tire. Road tires for the Defender are either Conti’s or Pirelli’s in most markets. Wrangler Adventure’s are the standard factory off road package tires that you have to specify. Wrangler Duratracs are the dealer fit off road option. The adventure’s are light AT tires that drive very nicely in road and are fine for basic dirt roads, but that’s about it. They are notoriously puncture probe on rocks, and are not three peak rated for winter. If you do find yourself attempting something rocky and you’re on 20” Adventures, don’t air down at all and go very slow. Much better chance of avoiding pinch flats than if you air down on that little bit of rubber. Switching to Falkens after I take off the snow tires in the spring myself.
Post #937256 11th Jan 2022 9:36pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
I’ve got some BFG AT KO2s coming for mine - have always had them on previous defenders and always been excellent for an all-rounder with great off road capability & durability.

Have to see what they’re like in 20” though rather than 16”, and the small complication is that they’re not available in the standard 255/60/20, but only 265/60/20 - I’m quite happy with the small increase in size personally. Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #937284 12th Jan 2022 12:08am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I love bfg tyres, I would be interested how you get on a) speedo speed reading as I understand it will under read on the 20s I’m not really happy with that b) that they are more noisy

I was looking at the brochure tyre chart and it’s interesting to see the performance especially the perelli which are apparently good performers, relative to the other tyres on some surfaces. I’ve noticed they are good on some things again relative, Rocky/muddy green lanes they did well, but I wasn’t pushing them Mike
Post #937287 12th Jan 2022 12:49am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1