↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Sun roof creaking
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Kingfisher24

England 
Sun roof creaking
Does everyone’s sunroof creak and rattle and if so has anyone managed to resolve this? More noticeable when a little colder. The rattles in the door pillars have been resolved but the noise from the roof is infuriating.
Post #922807 25th Sep 2021 10:57pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Chawton White
Admittedly I've only had mine a couple of days but as far as I can tell it's rattle free (so far Laughing ) Cheers Ian
--------------------
22MY Defender 110 D200 SE, Fuji White.
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #922808 25th Sep 2021 11:00pm
Tim in Scotland

Mine doesn’t creak or rattle but I know of 2 D300 HSE’s that have the same creaking Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #922829 26th Sep 2021 8:43am
Philm

United Kingdom 
No creaking on mine Thumbs Up
Post #922832 26th Sep 2021 8:57am
Kingfisher24

England 
Mine is a D300 xs and very creaky 😳
Post #922839 26th Sep 2021 9:59am
wilkinic

England 
Roof noise, door noise, dash noise
I get the same roof noise on sliding panoramic roof - depending on temperature, can be above driver / passenger front / back seats. Sounds like the unit is not sitting right but dealer can’t seem to fix it.

Noise from front doors sound like the seams are tight and rubbing, translating as marbles around the edges - makes it unbearable on B roads. Was told it had been fixed but doesn’t seem to have been - I have a feeling all the dealer did was lubricate it and push it out the door.

And then a poorly fitted dash noise…

So far 3000 miles, the car has been with the dealer for 4 weeks and not fixed.

Mate has had his fridge replaced as that rattled - not had that yet but it feels unsettled so may be a matter of time.

And I traded out of an RRS for this. Takes the edge off.
Post #935339 28th Dec 2021 1:36am
Kingfisher24

England 
Sun Roof Creaking
Mine is still doing it and is just as bad. It has been back three times and is due back in again in January. It is like listening to rain on a polycarbonate conservatory roof. It is worse when cold. The rattle in the door pillars stopped but is back again. It takes the joy out of driving the car.
Post #935356 28th Dec 2021 10:36am
Rufus23

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 2.5 TD Silver LE Auto Zambezi Silver
My sunroof used to creak whilst driving, I put some silicon oil/grease on the seals and the noise has gone away. Also works on the doors seals as well
Post #936556 6th Jan 2022 9:45am
Kingfisher24

England 
I have now done 20,000 miles. The car has been back to the dealer at least four times to try and resolve the rattling and creaking noises. It seems to get worse and worse particularly when the temperatures between 12 and 20°. Has anyone found a good solution yet. It is driving me mad. That is £70,000 car even if it is a Land Rover should not be making this noise!
Post #953053 20th May 2022 5:58pm
Ritson

France 
Halfords silicon spray lubricant.... spray it onto a cloth then wipe/coat all door seals and sunroof seals... works a treat! Current: MY22 P400e SE
Prior: Discovery Sport HSE, Jaguar F-Type S, Discovery 3, RR Vogue
Post #953055 20th May 2022 6:41pm
haymeister

Japan 
I’ve not had any issues so far in 7,000km (~4,500 miles) of motoring since last December. From -15 to 28 degrees C.

The one issue I had was recently on a 28 degree day, the roof was shaking when opening to the tilt position and it could not slide. It felt jammed.
Rectified easily by giving a helping hand and pushing it when going into tilt mode. It could then slide open. 22MY Defender 110 D300 S in Pangea Green and Contrast White Roof
IG defender_japan "Hulk san"
Post #953091 21st May 2022 10:04am
Kingfisher24

England 
Half an hour spent yesterday with a tub of lithium grease and a rag, removed the upper door seals gave them all a good coating of grease. I have used Vasoline in the past But it did only lasts a week or so I hope That the lithium lasts longer. Driving the car is almost a pleasure this morning. Not sure that we should have to grease such things in our expensive land Rovers.
Post #953160 22nd May 2022 8:42am
lightning

United Kingdom 
Surprising that the dealer can't repair it, if it's down to lubricant on the seals. There's special products dealers use for this kind of thing.

lt's possible the rubber used in these seals is the wrong type for our climate and LR may need to
look at it.
It may be that the seals are designed to operate in Arctic conditions and that means a compromise when used in more temperate climates.

We got a lot of this in the BMW Z3 forums and this product is superb. l've used it on my 2005 Defender 110 and it's transformed the vehicle. lt needs to be re-applied from time to time, but only takes a couple of minutes to run the applicator round every seal on vehicle.

https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-91480615-G...B004B8GTQG
Post #953325 23rd May 2022 1:27pm
Kingfisher24

England 
That is interesting you say that. I drove it in Switzerland in March and it was cold. There was hardly any creaking. Land Rover have changed two sets of door seals but it is worse. I will look at your link. Thank you.
Post #953328 23rd May 2022 2:18pm
stingray

Wales 
I think I'm right in saying that you need to be careful to use a lubricant or grease that is compatible with rubber, as oils or greases can cause perishing and deterioration longer term. Silicon based products are okay I believe. 'Rubberlube' is one:

https://www.charleswareparts.org.uk/product/rubberlube/

I hope this helps>
Post #953340 23rd May 2022 4:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>