↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Adaptive Cruise Control
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

dizeeduckie wrote:
Maybe in a Land Rover but not in a VW. It’s adaptive or nothing.

It used to be like that in my 2007 RRSport TDv8 - adaptive or nothing which was really really annoying driving the motorways when there was snow or slush as I would get a warning that the sensor was “blocked” and then there was no cruise at all.

Has anyone experience of the latest version in snow/slush, does it still drop out if the sensor gets dirty or snow on it? Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #935849 1st Jan 2022 9:57am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I thought it was buried in a deep menu on the sports, or maybe they put that on in the 2010 facelift.

Could it be the same on the vw, odd menu setting to default to normal cruise? Mike
Post #935862 1st Jan 2022 11:33am
dizeeduckie

United Kingdom 
I actually asked my VW dealer a couple of weeks after purchase how I could turn off adaptive and just have standard cruise, but no luck. They only offer adaptive cruise now.

I almost never use it when I drive my VW.

The other reason I hate it is that it's so good at gently slowing on the motorway, you can set the cruise to 75mph but not reaise that you've slowed to 65mph because of a slower vehicle.

Oh, and when in crawling traffic, the gap it leaves (even at the minimum setting) is huge so people are just constantly cutting in front.

I have to pay so much more attention to the adaptive cruise system than normal cruise.
Post #935877 1st Jan 2022 3:06pm
haymeister

Japan 
So you’re not speaking from driving or owning a Defender with ACC?

Adaptive works well for me.
Less jerky than my 2015 Bmw 2GT. I’ve not yet tried the most up to date systems in a BMW though a la X5 G05.

Also worked well in snow and slush. I made sure the camera module was cleared.

The time it has disengaged is when I was driving against the sunset. It then resets itself after a few minutes and I can use it. No need to turn off car.
Post #935936 1st Jan 2022 10:17pm
mse

ACC on the new defender doesn't use the cameras like the earlier Landover

Good system though on all the LR models Mike
Post #935937 1st Jan 2022 10:19pm
haymeister

Japan 
Did not know that. Thanks
Strange it disengaged against the sunset then. My bmw used do that all the time.
Post #935938 1st Jan 2022 10:29pm
Philm

United Kingdom 
It uses the radar module behind the green badge.
Post #935946 2nd Jan 2022 8:34am
Tim in Scotland

Previous versions didn’t use cameras, they had a a large sensor located in the lower grille - it looked like about a quarter of the grille had been blanked off on the L320 RRS’s Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 2nd Jan 2022 1:14pm. Edited 3 times in total
Post #935949 2nd Jan 2022 9:14am
haymeister

Japan 
Same stretch of road, same time of day. And it disengaged again. Then all the bongs and chimes saying the emergency brake was also not available.
Then after 2-3 mins I could reengage the system. Works flawlessly for close to 90 mins (distance around 130km)

It’s an undulating curvy bit of uphill road where the cars are doing roughly 100kmh/60mph)
Post #935974 2nd Jan 2022 11:30am
General

United Kingdom 
No peddle driving
Not sure what other who moan against it but it’s a brilliant thing that all cars should have. After driving for the last few years on the M1and round the M25 it’s been a sane saver. So much less stress with stop start traffic and great on smart motorways with their changing speeds. Set the speed at the speed limit, take you foot off the peddles let it do the work. Stopped me rear ending a car in front on the M1.
Post #936173 3rd Jan 2022 7:39pm
mse

For the last 3yrs I agree…it’s converted me to the pros of autopilot for commutes etc Mike
Post #936213 3rd Jan 2022 10:17pm
Nuclear Nick

United Kingdom 
Hissinsid wrote:
martinf wrote:
I find it a bit annoying. If the lane in front suddenly clears and I have been travelling below my chosen speed, it accelerates much harder than I would in normal driving. I think I prefer to only use it on empty roads which is when I don't need it.

Just turn it off and use normal cruise control. Long press the up button on the distance setting function on the steering wheel and you get normal cruise not adaptive.

Brilliant! Exactly what I wanted to know, thank you.

I have another question - how do I clear the saved speed in CC/ACC? The reason is, when I'm in CC at, say, 70mph and I enter 50mph roadworks, I can brake down to 50mph but 70mph is still saved in CC. If I want to engage CC for the 50 limit it of course tries to accelerate back to 70 with me frantically jabbing the toggle switch to set the speed down to 50. I must be missing something, but I can't reset the saved speed to 50, the current speed of the vehicle. However, once I've managed to get CC/ACC down to 50, on leaving the roadworks if I use the accelerator to get back to 70 I press the toggle switch up and it immediately resets to the new speed. Hope that all makes sense!
Post #950476 25th Apr 2022 1:17pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
If you brake from 70 it will disengage cruise control and then pressing the toggle switch up at 50 will re-engage it at that speed. If you press the toggle switch centrally - i.e. the resume button - it will try and go back up to your previous set speed of 70
Post #950487 25th Apr 2022 1:59pm
Nuclear Nick

United Kingdom 
Thanks for your reply Retro, I was pressing everything so don't know if I tried it that way! I'll give it a go.
Post #950493 25th Apr 2022 2:40pm
Nuclear Nick

United Kingdom 
Yes, of course that IS the answer! Must have been an attack of brain fade......
Post #950528 25th Apr 2022 7:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>