↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2.4 TDCI Cranking but wont fire.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
JBLancs

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
2.4 TDCI Cranking but wont fire.
Firstly I must apologise as I know that this is a well covered topic on here but having tried various suggestions form the other posts and not really getting anywhere I thought I would ask for thoughts.

My 110 has been doing this for the past 12 months, when in regular use all is well however when left stood for a period of about 3 weeks when I come back to it it just will not start. In the past just through sheer perseverance I have always managed to get it going however this time I have failed.

After the first cranking attempt upon which it will cough slightly as if its trying to start any subsequent attempts to start are worthless as it will spin over quite fast but won't even attempt to fire. After this if I leave the vehicle alone for 5 mins then I can go back and it will have another attempt where it will cough but again not fire. (after that no point trying for another 5 mins and so it goes on)

I am fairly happy that the relays under the seat are good the spade connectors seem tight and I've had them in and out a few times and wiggled them around whilst trying to start and this makes no perceivable difference, the main relay clicks as it should when the ignition key is turned. I have then cracked off the pipe coming off the top of the fuel rail to injector No1 and when cranked over fuel pours from the pipe. I have then this morning swapped the camshaft position sensor from another vehicle but this had no effect either and it still will not start.

Due to the many many cranking attempts I have had to use a jump pack and then eventually I hooked it up to my other defender. I seem to have the best chance of starting when hooked up to the other running vehicle but I'm confident the battery is good as its less than a year old and fine in normal use.

Could anyone suggest any other things I could try as I'd really like to get to the bottom of what is causing this rather than just get it going and wait for the next time it happens.

Cheers
Post #935308 27th Dec 2021 7:02pm
wee-man

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Galway Green
might not be of use but I had similar and it was the crank sensor. Ford stamped one is relatively cheap and was an instant fix for me.
Post #935311 27th Dec 2021 7:23pm
JBLancs

Hi Thanks for that, I nearly swapped them over after the camshaft position sensor made no difference but I didn't fancy mullering the little hear shield on both vehicles if it wasn't guaranteed to help.

Maybe I'll order one up and see if that makes a difference?

Cheers
Post #935315 27th Dec 2021 7:59pm
JBLancs

This morning I have fitted a replacement Crankshaft Position sensor. This has not helped and I still can’t get it to fire.

Running out of ideas now…
Post #935480 29th Dec 2021 10:04am
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Fuel problem???

Air leaking into the system - damaged pipe near filter allowing air to be drawn in?

IIRC there was someone on here having similar probs several years ago

HTH Keith[/b]
Post #935483 29th Dec 2021 10:10am
Merlin

United Kingdom 
Have you the basic thing of checking fuses? I'm thinking F12.
Post #935491 29th Dec 2021 10:52am
JBLancs

Regarding fuel problem, that is what it seems like to me? I thought I had discounted this cracking off an injector pipe but just because there is diesel there does not mean that all is good…

I have checked all fuses under the steering wheel and all are good haven’t checked the ones under the seat? Maybe it’s worth a look?

Cheers
Post #935506 29th Dec 2021 12:49pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
There are several things I would suggest you check, but your access to test equipment rather determines what you can do:

Do you have any stored DTCs?
What is the fuel rail pressure whilst cranking?
Is there a "firing" signal present on an injector?
Is there a valid signal at the ECM from the crankshaft and camshaft position sensors?

Broadly speaking in order to start the engine needs fuel at the right moment in the right place. If there is inadequate fuel pressure, it won't start. There are many faults which can result in inadequate or zero fuel rail pressure, and on the whole on the TDCi these are very poorly monitored by the ECM.

If there is adequate fuel pressure, then it is not being delivered at the right time which may be because the ECM doesn't know when the right time is (crankshaft or camshaft position sensors) or is unable to fire the injectors (ECM fault, harness fault, immobiliser fault).

Diagnosing these on the TDCi can be difficult, time-consuming, and does tend to require a certain amount of diagnostic equipment. You are unlikely to succeed if you don't have access as a minimum to a tool which can read stored faults and real-time values from the ECM.
Post #935516 29th Dec 2021 2:20pm
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
Just make sure the immobiliser hasn’t kicked in as this has caught me out several times now.

Because of where I park I don’t set the alarm, when I don’t use it for long periods oddly the immobiliser seems to set so I have to plip the alarm on and off to clear it.

If I don’t do this the landy will crank but not fire until I do, and with the alarm being off I wouldn’t know on entry. Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #935544 29th Dec 2021 5:29pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
^^ Nothing odd about that, it is the PI (passive immobiliser) doing its job.
Post #935546 29th Dec 2021 5:46pm
Marks Landy

United Kingdom 1985 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Java Black
Has the engine lost its fuel prime?

Maybe re prime the system or if it’s due a service soon throw in a new fuel filter then re prime.
Post #935568 29th Dec 2021 8:02pm
JBLancs

Thankyou for your reply Blackwolf, I agree with what you are saying. At this stage without diagnostic equipment it’s like working with one hand tied behind your back. When places open up again on Tuesday I’m going to ask the local garage to come up and take a look. Otherwise I’ll have to have it recovered.

Again many thanks for everyone’s input.
Post #935976 2nd Jan 2022 12:33pm
JBLancs

@Marks Landy, is there an easy way to prime the TDCI?
Post #935978 2nd Jan 2022 12:35pm
JBLancs

Finally coming to a conclusion on this problem. Been through the fuel system with no change in results. The fault seems to be with the dials/clocks and with the wires relating to the security system bridged then now all is well.

Any suggestions of what to do for a more permanent solution?

Cheers
Post #943041 19th Feb 2022 2:14pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Sounds like you need to do the instrument cluster (IPAC) bypass mod. See martins post at the bottom of this thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic47486...p;start=90
Post #943053 19th Feb 2022 4:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>