↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Modifications & Maintenance (L663) > The cheapo side step option!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Dohfender

Australia 
The cheapo side step option!
So after getting a price from my dealer of $2200 for the sidesteps I came across (what appear to be) the same side steps on AliExpress. At $760 delivered I took the plunge and ordered them.

At 1/3 the price I thought I'd take one for the team and see what they are like. I'm fully prepared that for that price there will probably be a lot of Censored during fitting, but for the saving I'm prepared to risk it and see how it goes.

I also spotted the LR rear wheel covers that (look the same) at a reasonable price. I read stocks of those are hard to come by atm.

Unfortunately I don't get my car until February, but will report back once I get it.

Not sure how to insert links but here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001757...web201603_ MY21 110 D300SE DEFENDER
MY17 3.0D R-SPORT F-PACE
Post #868223 19th Nov 2020 12:42am
zilch

Australia 
if it is anything like my Bunnings outdoor dining set that is bodged in China, prepare yourself for
a significant amount time of modifying the mounts, drilling holes to make sure things actually align
and have a swear jar handy Laughing yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #870843 2nd Dec 2020 5:18am
Dohfender

Australia 
Fortunately I have a brother who owns a mechanical workshop, so any ‘adjustments’, welding etc can be done. After I ordered them I saw one of the Aussie owners wanting to sell his factory side steps. Would have taken up that option if I’d known.

After a week of shipment delays it looks like they’ll arrive tomorrow. As for the Defender....still some time off yet Sad MY21 110 D300SE DEFENDER
MY17 3.0D R-SPORT F-PACE
Post #870844 2nd Dec 2020 5:35am
Dohfender

Australia 
So these just arrived today. First impression is that I am very impressed with the quality. The brackets are an extremely light alloy, so not sure if that is good or bad.

Maybe someone can comment on the brackets/fixings compared to the genuine steps??

Click image to enlarge

MY21 110 D300SE DEFENDER
MY17 3.0D R-SPORT F-PACE
Post #871231 4th Dec 2020 12:47am
Oldmowgli

Australia 
I have also bought a set of these Chinese side steps, and below is the post I have placed in another competing Defender 2020 Forum:

Hi - to anyone wanting to fit a set of these aftermarket side steps, I have just done it, and can advise:
The items that I bought from China appear identical to the LR items except they do not have the "DEFENDER" embossed in the rubber step tread. They look good, and are of good quality. Pretty much impossible to distinguish from the genuine article. I got the silver coloured steps, but I recall that they had the gloss black option also.
They arrived with all of the nuts and bolts needed to fit them, but without any fitting instructions. The link to the fitting instructions is below and you need to refer to this carefully.

http://accessories-instructions.landrover....r/G2435685

IMPORTANT: What was not supplied from China were the 30 x LR112137 plastic clips that replace the ones that snap off when you remove the plastic trims. (these LR112137 clips are sacrificial - ie: you WILL snap off the heads as you pull off the panels. Fortunately after many years of working on cars I had some near identical clips at hand, so could replace, but I doubt anyone else will be that fortunate so, my advice, unless you have bought a genuine LR side step set, is to buy the clips before you start. I will attach a photo of the clips you need for reference.

The job is do-able by an amateur, albeit a bit more involved than I expected. Here is a run down of the effort:
Firstly, refer to the LR instructions in the link provided in earlier post.
Under the car:
Use a trim removing tool to prise out the 9 or 10 mushroom headed fixings holding up the edges of both the plastic sill (rocker) cover and the undershield panel. (trim tool is essential - as they are in recesses and hard to take out without one) The heads of these fixings are about 25mm dia, and only the visible outer plastic head needs to be prised down, as this is also the pin that spreads the wedge section at the back - once you get the first one out check it out and you should be able to get the rest apart more easily. Next with a 10mm socket remove all of the securing bolts holding up the protective undershield panel. These fixings will include 5 bolts on the deflector in front of the rear wheel arch. Also 2 x 8mm bolts holding on a second smaller deflector plate near the centre of the car. Note that you do not need to take down the entire transmission protector plate as the LR instruction indicates - just the few fixings at the rear of that panel, where the undershield panel joins it.
I recommend you do one side of the car at a time, and leave the other intact as reference. There is no advantage to dismantle both sides together anyway.
I set the air suspension to high, and used a pair of HD ramps under the rear wheels, with a pair of axle stands under the front jacking points for security - and access was fine.
Now for the plastic trims (hardest bits).
Pull out the bottom of the plastic panel at the bottom rear of the guard / fender / wing and the whole assembly should pop loose, and then be able to be split into an outer panel and an inner panel (they just clip together). On the inner section there are two large white plugs at the bottom, and two LR112137 clips at the top, which will almost certainly have snapped when removing this panel. Don't panic.
Open rear door, and pull up the bottom of the plastic cover where it meets the sill, again you will break the clip that is about 6 inches up on this panel, and it will have to be replaced.
Next the full plastic sill / rocker cover has to be taken off. Open front and rear doors and carefully begin unclipping the trim panel by pulling up and out at the bottom edge from one of the ends. You will hear clips snapping and see the heads of the clips falling out as each one breaks off, and leaves the rest of the clip in the fixing holes. The breaking of these clips is expected by LR as in their parts list they have 30 new fixings to replace all of these on both sides. (the clips are available through LR dealers or I have found some on line also.)
Once all clips are undone / snapped, wriggle the sill cover panel down and off (watching out for the 3 locating pegs that you need to avoid damaging as you take this cover off.)

Underneath the sill edge below the car you have two long bolts to remove - one where the front bracket is to be fixed, the other where the rear bracket fixes. These are replaced with the longer items supplied in the kit, so can be set aside when removed.
Positions for the step brackets are quite obvious once you have got all the trim panels apart. Just make sure you get the Left Front / Left Rear and Right Front / Right Rear brackets worked out as they are subtly different, but they are marked.
Install the brackets to the car, fixing to the holes in the body which are pre-tapped ready for this purpose. Insert the two large M10 bolts up from underneath, vertically, and two shorter M8 bolts from the outside of the sill, horizontally in each bracket (using washers on the two M8's) I personally also loctited the bolts.
Next, test fit the step to both brackets to ensure the final fixings will line up, but assuming they do, leave the final fitting of the step until all trim panels are back together as it is easiest.
You DO have to cut the bottom (hidden) edges of the plastic sill cover as per the diagrams in the LR instructions, but if you look carefully inside the sill cover, LR will have also kindly lined out where the sections are to be removed. I used a 19mm wood spade drill bit to create the rounded corners, and then a hacksaw blade to cut the straight lines. Easy and neat.
Next you have to cut matching recesses (to go around the brackets) out of the edge of the undershield panel. No guidance lines from LR for this unfortunately. To do this match up the fixing holes in the sill cover and underside panels, and mark / measure carefully and cut the composite underside panel with a hacksaw blade, or a sharp Stanley knife (being very careful to keep fingers out of the way). This took me a couple of attempts to get exact but was also fairly easy. Using the opposite side brackets as a guide also helped. Once done you should have a pair of panels that when back in place, wrap neatly around both of the fitted brackets and don't expose any gaps.
By this stage the hard work is done.
Reinstall the undershield panel using the bolts (but leave the two deflectors at the wheel arch for the moment), then use the trim tool to remove the remains of the broken off clips from the car's (metal) sill panel and at the small panel at the base of the front guard / fender / wing. Install new LR112137 clips to all of the slots in the sill cover, plus the two for the lower guard cover, and one for the rear wheelarch cover. Clip inner and outer lower guard covers back together, and carefully begin refitting these plastic panels back into place. For me they all clippped back straight in, and lined up fine.
Then underneath the sill you need to re-insert the plastic mushroom headed clips through the sill cover and underbody panels - carefully tapping back in the pin that spreads opens the wedge to fix these solidly.
Reinstall the deflectors to the undershield with the 5 x M10 headed bolts, and 2 x M8 headed bolts.(One bolt goes into the sill edge)
Finally, bolt the step on to the brackets using 6 x M6 bolts and washers.
......and repeat for the other side before you stand back and admire.

With the correct tools, clips and confidence, I reckon you need to allow 3 hours to do this. Read and understand the instructions before you start though.

I am sorry but I did not take photo's when doing this, but if anyone really want's to see some, I may be able to take one or two and add them. Let me know if needed.

It is probably a little more straightforward in practice than I have made it sound - but if you are not the sort of person who is prepared for pulling apart panels, and breaking and replacing of the trim clips, and the accurate measuring and cutting of the panels, I'd get your local dealer or help from someone who has done it already. As you can tell it is not just a simple bolt on or bolt off job.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Oldmowgli
Thud
Post #877410 10th Jan 2021 9:39am
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Good post 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #877420 10th Jan 2021 10:04am
J77

Scotland 
I’m thinking of getting side steps for my 90, but at £933 inc fitting from LR seems a tad pricey. I bought side steps for my D3 back in the day and think they were supplied and fitted for less than £600 and were a bit more substantial than the Defender ones. 23.5MY 90 D250 X-Dynamic SE, Pangea Green
Gone - 23MY 110 D250 XS Edition, Hakuba Silver
Gone - 21MY 90 D200 S, Tasman Blue, Fuji White roof.
Post #877446 10th Jan 2021 12:14pm
Dohfender

Australia 
Great post Oldmowgli. I’m about a month from delivery and will find this very handy! MY21 110 D300SE DEFENDER
MY17 3.0D R-SPORT F-PACE
Post #877927 12th Jan 2021 10:02am
Simon Audi

United Kingdom 
Now on Ebay in Black or Black and Silver for £300 delivered - UK Seller... (not me)

Looks like he has 40 sets...

I guess they originated in China...
Post #879763 20th Jan 2021 4:42pm
Simon Audi

United Kingdom 
Powerful UK now have Video on fitting Steps.

Post #886851 20th Feb 2021 10:27pm
Dohfender

Australia 
So I have just completed my side step install. As Oldmowgli says it is quite straight forward and quite simple once you get your head around what you are trying to achieve and where you are trying to get at. Like him I found the 2nd one much easier and much faster.

Also I actually found it unnecessary and easier to not remove any of the underbody protection or any of the 10mm underbody bolts. I also did not remove the front guard side body trim (where the front mudflaps attach) which is step 1 in the JLR instructions.

My first step was to remove the rear plastic deflector plate (held by 5x 10mm bolts) followed by pulling out the bottom section of the rear wheel arch moulding inside the rear door opening so that you can get at the side sill attachments behind. Then I simply removed all of the underside 9-10 plastic pushpins under the car and prised the plastic sill up as per JLR & Oldmowgli's instructions, starting from the rear - but only as far as the front door hinge.

I did not feel it necessary to remove the plastic side sill completely. By leaving the front section forward of the front door attached you do not risk breaking the front fender side moulding and the clips behind. It also keeps the side sill attached at the front making it easier to re-attach and to align when marking the cutouts for the felt underbody protection. The only downside is that you need to do the cutouts to the bottom of the plastic side sill in place rather than removing it completely to do it on a workbench. Although I found it quite simple to do the cutouts in place - you can clearly see the markings where the cutout are to go by pulling the sill outwards away from the car, and then use a spade drill bit and a dremel tool to make the cutouts.

Next hold the plastic side still back in it original position and use a marker to mark on the underbody felt liner where the cutouts are. I was able to cut the felt using a pair of kitchen shears and a stanley knife. This able to be done with the underbody protection/felt liner in its original position, no removal of any bolts necessary. Simply make the cuts starting from the outer edge using the kitchen shears and then use the stanley knife to make the final cut across the rear between the 2 side cuts and you're done.

The rest is simply following the JLR instructions of bolting the side step brackets in place, replacing all of the broken clips and pushing/clipping everything back in place.

Two things that did baffle me was why the JLR instructions apply a spacer to only one of the rear bracket underside bolts (there are 2 bolts), but I did it anyway - and the second being why JLR say you need a second person. Unless they are there just for moral support or passing you the tools while you're under the car.

Hopefully this saves someone else from a number of (imo) unnecessary steps. Cheers. MY21 110 D300SE DEFENDER
MY17 3.0D R-SPORT F-PACE
Post #886868 21st Feb 2021 1:40am
Wbeak

Australia 
@ Dohfender, now they are installed. How are they going.

My defender is 3 weeks out & considering the same sidesteps. Just want to see how they quality of your purchase has been?

Any feedback, much appreciated.
Post #929664 14th Nov 2021 4:39am
Dohfender

Australia 
Hi Wb, no issues at all and very happy with the quality. Everything fitted together very easily and all appears identical to what I have seen in pics and vids of the genuine ones.

Make sure you order the extra clips beforehand as other have mentioned because the original clips will definitely break - although I found you do not have to remove the underbody panels to the extent that the LR instructions say. MY21 110 D300SE DEFENDER
MY17 3.0D R-SPORT F-PACE
Post #929762 14th Nov 2021 9:55pm
Mark1107

United States 
eBay sells the same aftermarket side steps for 300 usd. Including shipping. I bought a pair and love them. 2022 Defender Trek Competition 110 collectors edition!
2020 Defender 110 P400 Full Explorer Pack 7 Seater HSE Fuji White(sold)
2020 SVO Range Rover L405 Full Size Spectral Blue Chromaflair
2014 Range Rover L405 Autobiography Full Size Aintree Green
2014 Dodge Viper GTS Stryker Green
Post #934079 18th Dec 2021 8:44am
Mark1107

United States 

Click image to enlarge
 2022 Defender Trek Competition 110 collectors edition!
2020 Defender 110 P400 Full Explorer Pack 7 Seater HSE Fuji White(sold)
2020 SVO Range Rover L405 Full Size Spectral Blue Chromaflair
2014 Range Rover L405 Autobiography Full Size Aintree Green
2014 Dodge Viper GTS Stryker Green
Post #934080 18th Dec 2021 8:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1