↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Stainless screws corrosion?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Stainless screws corrosion?
I've just fitted a stainless steel sill to the back door of my Puma. The screws from the old sill are crappy grey steel (galvanised?) so I used some nice stainless ones... then thought about it.
I guess the door frames are some kind of aluminium alloy (softer than steel) so corrosion may be an issue. I know there are loads of theoretical scenarios but keeping it real:
Has anyone actually used stainless screws in Defender (alloy) bodywork? Were there any problems worth noting?
Many thanks for any help,
Matt Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #93374 9th Oct 2011 12:20pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Stainless still fasteners into alloy is always an issue in the boating arena. There are a couple of products people use to reduce the reaction - which I have forgotten the name of and I have just chucked one out Embarassed but someone will come along and advise Thumbs Up I'll do a search in the meantime to see if I can trace it!
Post #93375 9th Oct 2011 12:28pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Surrey Rover

It's called Duralac anti corrosice joining compound, available from eblag and other online retailers. I am sure there are other compounds available also. Nick

2.2 110 Tipper
Post #93385 9th Oct 2011 1:25pm
ZeDefender

Surrey Rover wrote:
It's called Duralac anti corrosice joining compound, available from eblag and other online retailers. I am sure there are other compounds available also.

Thanks. I considered similar joining compounds but they only look okay for coating larger surfaces. I doubt they'll stay in a screw hole when a screw goes in...
I'm particularly interested if anyone has thrown caution to the wind and flouted the laws of electrochemistry. If it's only going to cause a bit of pitting in the hole thread, I don't mind Whistle Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #93387 9th Oct 2011 1:39pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Duralac that's the stuff Thumbs Up You could always put in a plug of some sort, similar idea to a raw plug Confused Anything to provide a barrier. They used to use hardened steel screws in the Series models and they are impossible to get out once rusted in Crying or Very sad You have to grind them off and drill new fixing points so good idea to replace them with some kind of barrier....
Post #93388 9th Oct 2011 1:49pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
ZeDefender wrote:
I'm particularly interested if anyone has thrown caution to the wind and flouted the laws of electrochemistry. If it's only going to cause a bit of pitting in the hole thread, I don't mind Whistle

I am a Marine Electrical Engineer and as Zag said it is an issue in the boating fraternity. The vessels we operate the hulls are made entirely out of aluminium. I have seen first hand the evidence of dissimilar metal corrosion and it is truly shocking and amazing! Cable glands both steel and brass placed on build through bulkheads that are swinging in the breeze wuith 2-3" of corrosion around them and the original hole drilled to accommodate the gland being twice the size.
It cannot be emphasised enough....'Throw caution to the wind' as much as you like but there will be great cost later on! If it is your intention of not keeping the vehicle 'crack on' but someone else will inherit the cost of repair or it will most certainly be reflected in your selling price. If you're doing a job....do it properly would be my advice. If the screws/aluminium are environmentally sealed against each other against moisture ingress and the atmosphere they should be ok.

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #93389 9th Oct 2011 1:51pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Have a look at K9's bedtime reading - Scroll down to the Aluminium & Stainless Steel headings Shocked Wood doesn't look such a bad material after-all Laughing

http://www.kastenmarine.com/metalparts.htm
Post #93398 9th Oct 2011 2:39pm
ZeDefender

Thanks for all your advice!
Luckily a member on another forum rebuilt his 110 ten years ago using stainless screws but he put a dab of waxoil on each (!) screw thread - has had no corrosion problems so far Thumbs Up
So it's Waxoil for me (or something equivalent here in Germany) - sort of "oily joining compound" -
and, not throwing caution to the wind, I'll check for corrosion in a year or two Wink
Cheers,
Post #93399 9th Oct 2011 2:47pm
ZeDefender

Zagato wrote:
Have a look at K9's bedtime reading - Scroll down to the Aluminium & Stainless Steel headings Shocked Wood doesn't look such a bad material after-all Laughing

http://www.kastenmarine.com/metalparts.htm

Brilliant reading (geek?) reminds me of school days Wink
So stainless fastenings in alloy aren't THAT bad after all, especially if I can waxoil them and keep the salt out this winter.
I agree about wood - and there are a lot of Morris Travellers still on the roads Thumbs Up
Post #93401 9th Oct 2011 2:59pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Zagato wrote:
Have a look at K9's bedtime reading -

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Have printed it off already, framed it and riveted and screwed it to the ceiling above my bed, ensuring of course that all the correct assembly processes have been utilised whilst also ensuring I have kept below the safe working load of the ceiling.

Seriously I did find it interesting though! Laughing If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #93404 9th Oct 2011 3:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1