↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics (L663) > GMRS radio installation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
umbertob

United States 
GMRS radio installation
Although I am not sure if such a frequency is even available outside of North America, here are some photos and details of a Midland MXT275 15W 2-way GMRS radio I installed in my 2020 Defender 110 over the weekend.

The stubby 3 db gain "Ghost" antenna is screwed on a standard NMO lip mount over the hood (the mount stays there permanently, the antenna can be unscrewed and stored in the car when not in use) , the antenna wire goes through the firewall and into the cabin through the steering column's rubber boot.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The head unit is mounted in the empty "storage" space under the cup holder. I attached the supplied bracket to the sturdy rubber tray that sits down there, so no permanent installation holes are required - other than on the tray itself - and the head unit can easily be removed and used on a different car by just sliding it off the bracket if necessary.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The microphone with all the controls (one of the reasons why I like this Midland model - no controls or displays on the head unit, so you can hide that away from sight) hangs from a custom A-Tach mount and attached microphone holder (the holder comes with the radio) to the right of the touchscreen - my cell phone is on the same mount to the left. Since the microphone with coiled cord can be detached from the head unit, it makes for a clutter free console when the radio is not needed.

Power cable with inline fuse and antenna wire from the engine bay are tucked away along the driver side panel of the center console, and pop out on the side of the driver seat to connect to the back of the head unit, so they are not visible.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Hope this helps. 2020 NAS Defender 110 HSE 5-seater / Silver / Khaki / Black Pack / Black Roof / Satin Film / Cold Pack / Off-Road Pack / Advanced OR Pack / Comfort + Convenience Pack / Sirius + HD radio / HUD / Meridian Surround
Post #905787 31st May 2021 4:11am
cyberhusky

Luxembourg 
Hello

is that the phone holder from Brodit? 22MY Defender 110 (actual) | 10MY Freelander 2 (history) | 15MY Discovery Sport HSE (history)
Post #933746 15th Dec 2021 8:56pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Chawton White
umbertob mentions it is the A-Tach mount, it certainly looks similar to the Brodit mount, mine just came in the post this morning Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
22MY Defender 110 D200 SE, Fuji White.
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #933828 16th Dec 2021 12:01pm
cyberhusky

Luxembourg 
I do have the other shorter Brodit mount for the Defender to hold my iPhone.
Now I'm not sure if I should get the short or long mount for the Midland CB Mic holder.

The Mic is quiet heavy with the cable so I think the long mount is better.

I just got the CB Radio this morning,

Click image to enlarge
 22MY Defender 110 (actual) | 10MY Freelander 2 (history) | 15MY Discovery Sport HSE (history)
Post #933831 16th Dec 2021 12:28pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Chawton White
cyberhusky same CB as me and I find the smaller of the Brodit mounts fine Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Apologies for intruding on your thread umbertob Embarassed Cheers Ian
--------------------
22MY Defender 110 D200 SE, Fuji White.
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #933835 16th Dec 2021 12:54pm
POPTOPP

United States 
Hey umbertob - would you shed some additional detail on where you ran the power cable and antenna wires? Where in the firewall did you pass these cables? And did you tap into a wiring harness to hardware power?

Thanks,
Jeff
Post #952560 15th May 2022 4:33am
bpjenks

United States 2000 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Alaska White
Wires through firewall
I aminterested in the same thing: antennas through firewall. Any additional info/direction on this?
Post #1006280 2nd Sep 2023 8:26pm
zilch

Australia 
Some interesting setups, I have gone with a GME XRS 370 system,

The radio unit is fixed under the centre console, with the power cable routed through the
passenger footwell panel to the fuse location behind the glove box, connected via a piggy back
fuse to one of the 12v/aux fuse points..

Antennae is on a Tuff Ant mount which uses the passenger side hood/bonnet hinge on Aus/UK sided
vehicles, the coax is fed under the top panel and through the large rubber grommet that the steering
Column uses between the engine bay firewall.. it then runs through the driver side footwell side panel

Click image to enlarge

The mic magnetic mount is double side taped to a holdmyphone dash mount for the vehicle..

Click image to enlarge

Very neat and no drilling, just the coax requires a hole punching through the grommet yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #1006295 3rd Sep 2023 1:28am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1