↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Defender puma bp-51
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Tsoa

te="Mo Murphy"]If I'd broken 4 rear shocks in 2 years I'd be asking myself,
Am I fitting these right ? fitting the bush cups the wrong way round is the most common way to break the pin off a rear shock or
Is there a manufacturing defect, in the case of which I'd be looking at some other brands, not more of the same !
Mo[/quote]

I contacted arb after breaking the fist one. And they mentioned that it was a known issue on defenders. Which is why they made a high articulation version of the shock. Reolaces the top shock mount to a pin style mount. Instead of the original ones. They did offer to replace mine under warranty as well. My issue was the time delay to get the replacement shipped to me. I needed the car and couldn t wait. So i just replaced it with standard. So i was fully aware what i was doing unfortunately. Was able to get my hands on the high articulation shock 2 weeka ago so i installed that for the time being while waiting for delivery on the bp-51s.
Post #933779 16th Dec 2021 5:49am
Tsoa

uote="bankz5152"]
Tsoa wrote:
SteveG wrote:
Have you removed the spot welded caps off your shock mounts?

No. The locator cups are still in place. So i just kept them and didn t install the locator washers that came with the shocks.

Thw fact that i m running without sway bars is probably the biggest contributor to me snapping the shocks though. I heard 2 of the snaps happen when the car was in full flex.

That is your problem. Those cups must be removed when fitting 95% of aftermarket shocks[/quote]

Was not aware of that. Will remove the cups as soon as possible.
Post #933780 16th Dec 2021 6:01am
Tsoa

Hey,

Is yours a 90? What year?
Are you running the long travel shocks with it? Have you replaced the propshaft dmto double cardan ?

Thanks

matooo wrote:

Click image to enlarge

I have bp51 for 4 months and works great. now in winter I will have more time to play with difrent setting.

Click image to enlarge
Post #933784 16th Dec 2021 7:06am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12