↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > steering lock adjustment
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
steering lock adjustment
Have just completed a mammoth front axle refurb on my 110td5. However I am a bit out of ideas when it comes to setting the steering lock stops. The manual says to set them to 56mm for 7.50R16 tyres. However the bolts in the hubs are only just long enough to get this setting as the diagram shows; but no hope of getting the locknut/brake sheild nut on.
The manual also says about setting up with 20mm clearance to the radius arms. Dont want to set it up wrong and lunch the cv joints.
would someone mind measuring their lock stop bolts (no need to remove wheel) and seeing what length they are from the head to the hub casting. As mine is a td5 it doesnt have the plates on the swivel bolts for the lock stop bolts to hit, they just run into the swivel bolt flange.

Cheers, Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale
Post #368308 30th Oct 2014 6:01pm
munch90

England 
can you not just fit the wheel then adjust the stops to suit your wheels

really you want the weight on the axle ,so jack up fit axle stands under then adjust stops to the gap you want between the tyre and radius arm

if you jack up it makes it easier to check lock to lock etc and safer on stands ( stands under axle so axle sits in normal position in relation to radius arms to get adjustment right

trouble is if others have different tyres wheels to you , you will end up with a bigger or small gap between tyre and radius arm either making them touch or cutting your turning lock down
Post #368309 30th Oct 2014 6:29pm
Mjibex

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Loire Blue
I did it wheels on, on the ground. Wound in the lock stops, put on full lock (so tyre hits radius arm). Back locks stops out. Then add a little for safety margin.

Drive with mechanical symphathy and the CV's will be fine. Extra lock on road, don't be an animal on full lock off road.

Mark.
Post #368314 30th Oct 2014 6:45pm
lukev01

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I used the picture on page 1 of this thread:

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic27871.html

I am a mechanical numty yet it only took 5 minutes each side with the right socket and spanner, checked with a steel ruler.

Made a huge difference to the turning circle, now very happy. 1970 Series 2A 88"
Post #368316 30th Oct 2014 6:54pm
Rickydodah

It does make the job easier if a helper turns and holds the steering wheel on full lock with the engine running with the wheels on the ground and the suspension under load, as previous poster has said screw lock stops in until the tyre fouls the radius arm and then screw the stop out against the weight of the steering until the desired clearance is obtained. If you adjust with the engine running you take into consideration the assistance of the PAS. Thumbs Up
Post #368321 30th Oct 2014 7:13pm
Barrowboy

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Blenheim Silver
lukev01 wrote:

I am a mechanical numty yet it only took 5 minutes each side with the right socket and spanner, checked with a steel ruler.

Made a huge difference to the turning circle, now very happy.

I have to own up to being an even bigger mechanical numpty, I'm afraid, having managed to break the head off one of mine this afternoon....

Got one side done-and-dusted without any problem and then managed to apply a tad too much pressure on t' other side.

Anyone remember those Hamlet cigar adverts?

Click image to enlarge
Post #368770 1st Nov 2014 5:19pm
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Cheers all sorted now. Turning circle mich improved. Just set with a 25mm piece of wood sanwiched between radius arm and tyre on each side with engine running.

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale
Post #368790 1st Nov 2014 6:21pm
Bongo1

United Kingdom 
lukev01 wrote:

Made a huge difference to the turning circle, now very happy.
OLD THREAD REVIVAL ADDISSION .

Problem is following the above link , it says Bfg 265's A= 59.7 ... well the stop bolts are only 50mm +5mm head total 55mm doh Confused ... Which would put the end of the bolt half way through the axle and no thread protruding to hold mud shield + washer or a lock nut .
My stop bolts has only half the lock nut on without a washer . And i have not used the manual settings i have gauged 20mm clearance , In short the bolts are not long enough , they need to be 65mm bolts that's what im going to fit , you cant do it otherwise even with 235's its only just possible , so when i screwed mine out a tad for the 265's there was no thread to hold anything .
Also best done on axle stands engine OFF as wheels stay put when put on lock , then you can adjust as needed , especially if on your own its the only way . you shouldn't hold on lock and the pump screaming .
HOPE THIS HELPS OTHERS AS THIS APPEARS TO BE A COMMON PROBLEM WITH NO PROPER ANSWERS
Post #933412 13th Dec 2021 2:34pm
Bongo1

United Kingdom 
I do believe there are LOCK-STOP PLATES available , NOT sure if for later DEF ? , were on series , maybe these will help . im certainly going to find a pair if so i will update.

Bracket for defenders is pt number TAU100170 fit 87-06 and 07 on , £20 each though genuine landrover , britpart not much cheaper ...
Post #933415 13th Dec 2021 2:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1