↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Optimill quick release boss - fitting difficulty
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
swt

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Optimill quick release boss - fitting difficulty
I'm having trouble fitting what ought to be the simplest of modifications and would appreciate the thoughts of those who have done this before.

Bought an Optimill quick release boss (Momo) last week, together with the swivel lock. It's for my 58-plate 110 SW, which has its original factory steering column and XS steering wheel (48-spline).

When I came to fit the boss, it wouldn't go on further than the point where the splines had just begun to engage: enough to stop it turning, but nowhere near far enough to be driven safely. I have counted the splines on the column and the boss about 6 times in the hope that the simple explanation of a mismatch will magically appear. I've tried a bit of grease, but it's made no difference. The original steering wheel is an easy fit, so I can't see that there is anything non-standard about the steering column. I'm reluctant to give it a whack in case I damage the splines on the steering column, and in any event, the boss needs to come off again if necessary.

Am I missing something really obvious or being very stupid? Both have been known.

Supplier responded instantly to a query, but understandably referred me to Optimill in the first instance, who have not been so quick at responding. It would be a shame to send it back, but that seems to be where I'm headed.
Post #933191 11th Dec 2021 3:02pm
Shroppy

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 130 V8 Petrol HCPU Aintree Green
As far as I'm aware there are no variations on either the 36 or 48 spline columns so that should rule out any potential dia. issues. Worth checking the ID of both your current wheel and the new boss if you have a set of calipers handy though.

Is the issue that the splines are too tight to allow the boss to fit or do the splines feel ok until you reach a certain point? If the latter you may find that the indicator cancellation pins are not locating into the blue cancellation ring on the indicator assembly as shown below.

If however the pins are lined up correctly then the other thing to check is the steering column shroud itself as that may be fouling the boss.

I have only ever experienced issues removing LR steering wheels not fitting them, the splines should be free of any slop but slide on easily. It is conceivable that a machining stage was missed leaving the splines of the boss undersized I suppose, but everything I've had from Optimill so far has been top notch.

Let us know how you get on. Thumbs Up 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"
Post #933194 11th Dec 2021 3:31pm
swt

Thanks for the input re column diameter.

I discovered the problem on an initial offering up, without the cancellation pins fitted. I'm also not able to push it on far enough that the shroud is an issue. I think the splines are too tight. The point at which things jam is essentially when the two sets of splines come into contact. From what I can see looking down the central hole, the leading edges of the splines are just meshing, but only just, and it won't go any further.

Having trouble, with my cheap calipers, getting an accurate diameter inside the boss.
Post #933195 11th Dec 2021 3:36pm
Shroppy

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 130 V8 Petrol HCPU Aintree Green
In which case, definitely don't be tempted to force it on, I'm sure Optimill will be able to advise but in the mean time some photos may help others on here offer some more suggestions. 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"
Post #933196 11th Dec 2021 3:46pm
swt

Here are a couple of pics. It's a lovely piece of kit - if only it would fit and I could use my nice new (and secure) removable steering wheel!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #933197 11th Dec 2021 3:51pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
I have one for a 48 and 36 spline column.

On the 48, on both a 92 and a 05 it was tight and only went on when tightening up the nut. Not excessively tight but not a push fit. Had to use a puller to remove it. This was the same on both defenders which suggests the boss was the issue,, not the column. I subsequently fitted std wheels to both and there was no damage to the column.

The 36 spline one I have on my 91 slips on very easily.
Post #933199 11th Dec 2021 4:25pm
swt

Bodstruck, that's useful to know, thanks. What sort of torque was required to push it home: moderate hand pressure on a normal-size spanner? In my frustration, I don't want to fall into the trap of crushing it on to the column in a way that makes them a single piece for ever more...

A shame if it's not going to be as easy on and off as the old steering wheel, but I'd be content with winding it on, with the cover of Optimill saying that's the answer! While waiting for that, I will follow Shroppy's wise advice not to force it.
Post #933200 11th Dec 2021 4:35pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Yes, didn't require really cranking it down. Using a socket and ratchet it was only mild pressure.

It was certainly a way tighter fit than I was expecting. And did that my other one is much easier.
Post #933204 11th Dec 2021 5:01pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
have you pushed the two metal pins at the back of the boss, down enough? They might need to be tapped down a bit more. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #933213 11th Dec 2021 6:33pm
kenzle8a

I gave mine a few good smacks with a dead blow hammer, it was a bit tight going on.
Post #933219 11th Dec 2021 6:51pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
swt wrote:

Click image to enlarge

It's not fouling on the plastic cowling, by any chance? When I fitted mine, I had to trim the 'lip' around the column opening. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #933231 11th Dec 2021 8:54pm
swt

No, I can't get it on far enough to foul anything!
Post #933232 11th Dec 2021 9:07pm
JPE

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
I fitted one of these on Friday to my 2013 puma. It slid on with only mild pushing, so I’d be cautious about hitting it hard if it’s not going on at all. Tightening the bolt only moved it a few more mm. Only issue I had was that the pins stuck out too far so I needed to squeeze them in further using a vice, but it didn’t take too much force to pull it off to do that. Maybe sliding the original wheel on and off a few times might help (? might be a rubbish idea ??) otherwise I’d be inclined to consult Optimill.
Post #933259 12th Dec 2021 9:31am
Cubflyer

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Arles Blue
Just my two pence worth ... I don't believe you could confuse trying to fit a 36 to 48 spline fitting, if it was a 46 to 48 then yes quite possible.

I fitted mine about 3 weeks ago and I just had enough threads showing through to barely get the nut on spline let alone the lock washer. I also found there was a "HUGE / 12mm" space between the base of the boss and the plastic steering shroud and was even potentially about to machine a 10mm spacer to fill the unsightly gap.

However having had the boss off twice for steering wheel centring and a further two times for other work that 12mm gap has reduced to a very pleasing 2mm (Oh and I took it off to fit the spring pins for the indicator cancellation).

It now sits well down the splines and is bedded in, certainly I will need to use my boss puller to remove it now if needed.

Optimill have produced lovely parts machined to a fine tolerance but what grips me is the "After thought" to use Spring pins for the indicator cancelation facility. They have three beautiful machined stainless pins for the location of the mating bosses and spoil it by not offering machined pins for the indicator function.

Most certainly I'll make stainless pins over the next few months to replace the spring pins. 2010 Defender 90 300Tdi CW (White/1994)
2021 Defender 90 300Tdi SW (Blue/1994)
Post #933268 12th Dec 2021 11:45am
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Optimill boss here and it simply 'fitted' with no drama at all and has also been off quite easily

2016 Puma
Post #933271 12th Dec 2021 12:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>