↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > British startup to build first UK farm-focused electric 4×4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
So, who noticed that this one has Discovery 2 axles and suspension, not Defender based?
Note the Watts Link on the rear axle and the size of the bushes in the radius arms.

Click image to enlarge
Post #925681 14th Oct 2021 7:41pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
I wish this well.........but i am confused by their expectations.

The original Foers Ibex, lets be honest, did not exactly fly off the shelves so why should this be any different especially as its a bitsa - Ibex body with D2 axles and suspension.

Farmers are still using their (classic) Defenders because they work and use pickups because they are cheap to lease and the accountant is kept happy.

If Countryfile is to be believed (especially as every article has to include the words 'climate change') farmers are on the whole older and struggling to attract younger people to the industry. Will the existing farmers want a Hummvee lookalike with batteries that they cant tinker with and would the outdated looking vehicle appeal to the Iphone generation?

It does not even have the cool factor of a modern tractor with all the tech that they have on board.

As Supacat said above the F150 EV would be more appealing and modern, though too large for UK country roads, but take out the guts and put it into a Ranger and that is the vehicle the farmer of all generations would buy.

As i said, i wish it well, but the accountant will tell the farmer to go for the best lease deal.......
Post #925692 14th Oct 2021 8:25pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Chawton White
Fifth Gear Recharged will have a piece on the New Munro, Episodes will air weekly on Discovery+ from November 25th in the UK and from December 2nd on UKTV network Quest. I don't pay the extra for Discovery+ so will have to wait until it is on Quest Thumbs Up Cheers Ian
--------------------
22MY Defender 110 D200 SE, Fuji White.
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #931100 25th Nov 2021 12:31pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Built tough 💪 Munro Prototype 1

See it in all its muddy glory on Fifth Gear Recharged, available now on Discovery+, and on Quest next Thurs at 9pm

@fifthgear_tv @questtv @discoveryplusuk
Post #932404 4th Dec 2021 12:34pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Not sure it was worth watching...

Post #935182 26th Dec 2021 6:50pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Bit rubbish I’ll stick with an actual defender Mike
Post #935185 26th Dec 2021 7:00pm
J77

Scotland 
 23.5MY 90 D250 X-Dynamic SE, Pangea Green
Gone - 23MY 110 D250 XS Edition, Hakuba Silver
Gone - 21MY 90 D200 S, Tasman Blue, Fuji White roof.
Post #949020 11th Apr 2022 2:32pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Saw that.

I know it’s a prototype, and I loved the Ibex, but this isn’t doing anything for me……..it’s day has passed.

They summed it up by saying that they are looking towards the mining industry which makes sense. It not really a road going vehicle, health and safety won’t like the lack of air bags or lack of soft surfaces.

Mines using pure off tarmac vehicles no longer benefit from red diesel and lower fuel duty plus the lower mileage would suit the proposed 150 mile range, but would that suit a 24hr business that need operating vehicles and not plugged in for X number of hours at a time.

This won’t suit a farmer when compared to the lease deals on a dual purpose pick up trucks plus what’s the range with a live stock trailer in tow…….not to mention a certain level of driver comfort is required, farmers are getting older and newer farmer expect more than FA……..

That front skid plate looks very wrong, almost like someone forgot to put the rear bolts in and it’s dropped down, guess there is a good reason and not issue on a flat surface but not a farmer crossing his field.

Make the Grenadier a hybrid and the working consumers in those two business’s will get the best of both worlds with a better looking vehicle that’s a better environment to work and spend long days in with the safety features expected by the modern world and the world of health and safety.

Plus the accountant or fleet manager would be kept happy.

Said it before, good luck to them but………

And finally, look at the issues Rivian are having, and they had a boat load of cash to play with……..
Post #949051 11th Apr 2022 6:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12