↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Oil leak Rear of Transfer Box, advise/helpplease
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Iktank

Wales 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Oil leak Rear of Transfer Box, advise/helpplease
Not my picture one I pinched, the leak appears to be from the bolt I have highlighted
This is located above and to the left hand side of the hand brake drum with a electrical plug just below it. I thought at first when I saw the oil drip it was the shaft inline with the hand brake drum but its not.
Looking at the picture surely it cant be this leaking ? (could not be bothered to change bolts to bolt in pic sorry)

Click image to enlarge
Post #931271 26th Nov 2021 4:08pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
That is the rear end of the shaft which supports the intermediate gear, and is a fairly common source of leaks (the other end of the shaft on the front face of the transfer box is even more common). The seal on the shaft at either end is an "O"-ring which can harden with age, and the problem is exacerbated by the fact that the hole in the aluminium alloy gearbox casing tend to elongate and go out of round.

Good gearbox rebuilders such as Ashcroft Transmissions can fit steel inserts into the gearbox casing to prevent the latter problem.

Repair actions: if you are really lucky, simply applying a sealant such as Hylomar round the end of the shaft and refitting the nut may stop the leak. It is more likely that you will need to remove the intermediate shaft to replace the "O"-rings and inspect for ovality, and this means removing the transfer box from the vehicle (because the shaft cannot be removed with the transfer box bolted to the gearbox). It is not a trivial repair, I am afraid.

It is also worth remembering that the nut which is missing in your photo preloads the intermediate shaft bearings. On the TD5 and later models there is a selective fit spacer between the bearings and so the nut can be replaced and simply torqued correctly, but on earlier vehicles there was a crush tube spacer which meant that tightening the nut correctly to produce the correct preload was a much more complex procedure. It is inadvisable to remove the nut from an earlier transfer box unless you know how to set the preload correctly.
Post #931319 26th Nov 2021 9:06pm
Iktank

Wales 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Thanks Blackwolf, now I know its called intermediate shaft I've done a bit of searching and i hope its not the cause of the leek - looks a right pain
I have 2014 reg 90 so easier one with regards just torquing back up, only had a quick initial look as the vehicle was on a ramp having its MOT done (which it passed).
I had a crawl underneath when I got home and had a good look and a clean and it looks like its the speedo drive, I have ordered an O ring and seal just to eliminate this first.
If it still leaks its transfer box out I have access to ramps and gear box stand so I can do, just got to order gaskets, O rings etc
So will sort speedo drive first this coming week and see from there
Thanks again
Post #931328 26th Nov 2021 9:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1